2 Days Later...

Jamw82

Hi everyone. My name is Jamie (30 year old guy), and I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 2 days ago. I say diagnosed, but the bloods haven't come back yet. At the moment I'm just "extremely likely" to have Type 1. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. It's been a tough couple of days, and very overwhelming. I guess I just wanted to connect with some people in the same boat as I am. My wife and my family have been great, but there's only so much we can talk about it, if that makes sense.

I'm currently taking 4 units of Novorapid before meals (on the nurse's advice), and checking my sugar levels 4 times a day, as well as having a slow release jab at bedtime (can't remember the name) until my results are back. When I was tested at the clinic the other day my blood sugar was between 17-19 each time. In the 2 days I've been taking the insulin since then I've been fluctuating between 12-14. I have no idea if this is normal considering how little time I've been taking the insulin, or if I should already be targeting 4-7.

My first GP appointment is tomorrow, so I guess I can find out more then. It's just a lot to try and digest (no pun) at the moment. I can't really get my head around the fact that my life is changing.

Anyway, just wanted to get a few things off my chest and say hello. I'll probably start annoying people soon by asking stupid questions!

Jamie

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jamie, i'm recently diagnosed too but i'm in my honeymoon period at the moment so i've been taken off insulin for now. I'm sure many others will be around to say hi soon, 12-14mmol is still high so keep in touch with your diabetes nurse, you will probably need to readjust your long acting.

Sarah

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jamie and welcome!

It is a lot to get your head around at first. I was diagnosed with LADA (a slow onset form of Type 1 - which is probably what you actually have) about 3 years ago. I was 42 and it came as a complete shock! Anyway, taking insulin's a bit of a pain sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as you probably think at the moment. Your life will have to change a bit, but you will learn how to manage things and will be able to balance your everyday life with the diabetes management.

You will need to learn how to count the carbohydrates in your food so that you can tke the correct insulin doses - the sooner you start learning that the better really. You will also need to learn how to deal with hypos (low blood sugars) - this is an occupational hazard of being on insulin, but they are generally easy to correct - buy a stash of jelly babies for this purpose :lol:

Take it easy and ask as many questions as you need - there are many very experienced insulin-takers around here and they are always willing to give advice and support.

Take care

Smidge

Jamw82

Thanks for the responses guys. My last reading, just before dinner, was 9.9. It's obviously still high but it's encouraging that it's a lot lower than it was.

Fraddycat

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum! I am not type 1 so can't offer advice but I can offer a friendly hello! :wave:

LaughingHyena

Welcome to the forum, there are planty of people here willing to listen and answer my (silly) questions. I've found it really helpful to discuss things with people living with it day to day.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago, so a bit further in than you, but it was quite a shock at the time.

I think it took a month or so before I was getting 4-7 readings most of the time so 9 is sounding pretty good to me so far.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the club. You are doing very well. You have come to the right place and will get lot's of support from the guys and gals on here.

I'm Type 1 too, diagnosed three years ago. It took me a few weeks for my body to adjust to the new regimen and for me to get the injection right for the amount of food injested.

Best wishes,

A

Kempy

Dislikes
Ignorance
Just to say hello. Diabetise is life threatening I have had it for 4 years 2 of which I have had a stroke and Ataxia and several other problems.the past week my BM has been up to 20.4 and I felt awful on this site it explains more if you look around . Take diabetise as a life threatening illness

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Jamie :)

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, also T1 and honestly it's not all doom and gloom, I was diagnosed 15years ago, and I am still here, I still work full time, have a lovely family, fantastic holidays and generally enjoy life. Obviously it is a shock at first, but life goes on, you will learn a lot about yourself and the people around you. You will meet people you may not otherwise have met, you may never get "perfect" control, you may forget to test your BG as often as you should, you may well wake up " hypo" and scare your wife half to death, but you will ultimately learn to manage it and live with. Remember, only very special people get diabetes. :)

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Once you understand what is going on it gets much easier. If someone advised me to read the "diabetes solution" by Bernstein around the time of my diagnosis , it would of saved months of confusion :-(