long term fed up diabetic

Eva9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I've been diabetic for at least 35 years now. I joined this site thought it was good then lost my password so have only joined back again. I'm on Novorapd and Lantus. My blood sugars have never been stablised (I hate going to the hospital but have never missed an appointment) and I envy all those of you seem to have great control. I can have several good days followed by weeks of tests ranging from 11 -17. On the days tests are good I feel so happy and confident other days I'm just depressed - also I'm very overweight and when I put my mind to loose the weight it just goes on instead so even more depressing.

So I've been looking at the low carb forums, weight just seems to fall off people. So if I just cut out bread would that help/count and would ryvita be ok instead? Browsing it looks a bit like when I was first diagnosed little carbos but lots of protein then "the system" changed and there was no counting "exchanges" which I still to live by.

I've also done a Berger course (I live in Ireland). It was a brilliant course but it still isnt working for me and the weight still pilling on.

Someone here recommended Food Focus - good site. I'm fed up with recipies doing all the calorie etc counting but NEVER putting the carbo exchange. I wonder how difficult it could be to add that when they have done all the other counting for the recipie.

I'm think I'm just having a little rant and rave here not like me but its nice to have others in the same boat "normal" people dont really understand.

Thats me done for now this bright sunny Saturday morning. Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome (again) to the forum Eva :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Eva...
Glad you got have back with us all here...
What is the Berger course ? This could help other members.
How are you finding your own self management of insulin therapy ?
Are you getting any good support at your hospital appointments ?
Sometimes its when we have to fly 'solo' alone it can feel isolating.
Please tell us more about your difficulties then we can help,support you.
Anna.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Eva, don't worry, you really are not alone, I think we all have good and bad days, and there are loads of things that can make your BG rise, stress, worry, hormones even just feeling unwell can affect your BG, and food isn't the only cause of weight gain! If you take lots of insulin that in itself can cause you to gain weight, however obviously reducing your calorie intake will help weight loss but it needs to be in conjunction with reducing the amount of insulin you take. Get some advice from your DN, and put together a realistic plan, one you can live with! to help. It can be done, but with support you will have a much better chance of following it through. Good luck :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Eva
you have my sympathy. I'm only 10 years diagnosed, but feel I have most of life under control. It all improved for me about 6/7 years ago when I discovered Dr. R Bernstein. His "diabetes Solution" is my primary reference book. I follow hisd dietary advice and eat very low carb. I've lost LOADS of weight. Over 3 stones from my highest. I find keeping the weightloss goin hard, but I've trained my eating patterns. I use my blood glucose meter to monitor regularly AND my bathroom scales. If I get things wrong [and I often do] I just dust myself off and start again.
Hana