Leg cramps & Metformin?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
phoenix said:
Recurring episodes of leg pain/cramp in the calves or perhaps in the thigh that are triggered by walking really should be mentioned to your doctor. They may be some sort of residual problem from the statins or even the met but you can't assume that.

I mention it every time I see the nurse since she is interested in how well my legs recovered. She takes the view that the more I walk the fitter I get and the easier it becomes. I explain that my walking skills are a bit limited but her eyes go glazed at that point since she is not interested. Of course I will mention it again.

I can trace the trouble from the statins but according to the nurse if you stop taking pills then their effect is gone from your body after a month. This problem has stayed with me for most of a year so either she is wrong or something else is causing it. That's why I got interested when someone mentioned Metformin and cramps in the same post.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
How about this one, then? This has happened to me a number of times, very occasionally, dating from before I was fully diabetic. Until today, always at night - usually when I've got up to go to the loo.

It's like a numbing deep tingle which spreads up the back of my legs - both legs - up to my behind, and sometimes right up my spine to my neck. It's very difficult to describe. It's not painful - maybe a very slow motion electric shock? but numbing to the extent that I have to sit down before I fall down.

Today I was in the middle of cooking my omelette. It only got to my bum (the tingle, not the omelette :shock: ), and I was able to cope by leaning over the sink. It goes off very quickly - I'm pretty sure, now, that it's to do with my lower-spine stenosis. The leaning forward or sitting down must open up the vertebrae and take the pinch off the nerve.

. I hadn't had that diagnosis last time I ran it past my GP - to be met with a blank stare! Maybe it's time we discussed it again!

Anyway, I intend to garden all day today, which will give me some much-needed exercise! After I've walked to the shop for some eggs. This is definitely gtting easier as the weight comes off - even though I too have very little stamina and sometimes have to stop to rest my legs. Never mind - it's not a race :D

Viv 8)

Squire Fulwood, Google 'spacedoc.net' and see what Duane Graveline has to say about myopathy - which I think is the word for muscle damage. If I remember rightly, statins can cause damage that is slow to be reversed. I think that has happened to me too!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
viviennem said:
Squire Fulwood, Google 'spacedoc.net' and see what Duane Graveline has to say about myopathy - which I think is the word for muscle damage. If I remember rightly, statins can cause damage that is slow to be reversed. I think that has happened to me too!

Thank you for the reference. During my difficulties with statins my nurse said that I was short of Coenzyme Q10 and that I should buy some from Holland and Barratts. This tells me a number of things. The nurse noticed it, Duane Graveline is right that statins deplete the Q10. I am concerned that he says that even if you take the supplement it makes no difference. I wonder how long the long recovery is going to be.

NiccyW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have suffered from leg cramps for years - used to take Metformin but don't think it's that as I have been on insulin for more than 10 years now. I find that Magnesium supplements help (one 375mg tab daily). I read about this somewhere and thought I would give it a go. My GP thought it was good to continue and now I seldom get leg cramps at night (the time when they bothered me most). When I stop taking the supplement they come back. Don't know if this helps your case.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear NICCYWHIT,

Your post should be 'shouted from the rooftops' and especially loud enough for those using Quinine Sulphate to hear.

Rob

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
NICCYWHIT said:
I have suffered from leg cramps for years - used to take Metformin but don't think it's that as I have been on insulin for more than 10 years now. I find that Magnesium supplements help (one 375mg tab daily). I read about this somewhere and thought I would give it a go. My GP thought it was good to continue and now I seldom get leg cramps at night (the time when they bothered me most). When I stop taking the supplement they come back. Don't know if this helps your case.

A very good point, NICCYWHIT. I've taken magnesium citrate supplements for many years now, mainly for blood pressure but it's needed for lots of other things. I stopped it earlier this year - I give any supplements I'm taking a break every now and again - and the cramps have been bad since. I started taking it again in the middle of last week and I haven't had a cramp since!

Hmmm . . . I'll keep an eye on this.

Viv 8)

DickM

On Metformin 2 x 2 500mg and occasionally get the odd cramp in one calf, happens sometimes when I am out walking and occasionally when sat down. Have recently started to wear my prescription orthotics in my walking shoes (had them made many years ago when I ran marathons) and the calf cramps have more or less ceased.

Bart_40

Dislikes
diabetes
NICCYWHIT said:

My experience: I started getting nocturnal leg cramps more and more the last 5 years or so (probably parallel with my blood sugars going up more and more). First I took the night cramp tablets you buy over the counter from the chemist, those didn't help much. Often I had to get up at night and start stretching, walk on a cold floor or get a glass of milk (calcium). Had many nights with excruciating pain, causing exhaustion and lack of sleep. Talked to a chemist in Asda a couple of years ago who advised to ask the GP for Quinine. Went to the GP who started prescribing QS on repeat prescription. Been taking that for months and was finally able to sleep properly. Then I got diagnosed with Type II in Feb '11. In hindsight, the leg cramps increased to a constant nightly basis since then. Because I was taking Quinine for more than a year my GP refuses to prescribe it any more, so I got into a panic like "hell, what now? How do I sleep properly?". Started researching the net and found (I forgot where exactly) the advantages of vitamin B13. Seems that Metformin 1) causes cramps as a side effect 2) breaks down the calcium, magnesium and zinc levels that your body produces and 3) has a deficient effect on B13 that is produced in the inner flora and helps with orotic acid levels in the bloodstream. http://howardmoris.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/deficiency-symptoms-vitamin-b13.html
So despite Metformin being a drug that will help my blood sugar level, it also causes quite a lot of side effects in my case. I recently started taking calcium, zinc and magnesium tablets and one B13 tablet daily which really has helped with the cramps. I still get cramps every now and then but not as severe any more and have more regular nights with good sleeps.

For those with leg cramps and no QS; please try this I can recommend it and will not go without any more!

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Bart - you have done the right thing and gone onto Magnesium. Only wish I had had your doctor who restricted your prescription for QS because I might have saved myself from kidney damage

LinTay

At last someone who has described my cramps-not usual cramps but where my toes go unvoluntarily twisted with terrible spasms in the legs and feet!
I was placed on quinine but that brought me out with huge blisters so was allergic to them and was told to drink tonic water which certainly helps. The pain is awful when I get them!

sally3352

with all these leg cramps why dont you try tonic water it is loaded with quinene so no need for the tablets and it works i take metformin 500mg x4 each day and have no problems.
c robinson

frankweir

hi...not sure if you have access to this in the UK but i switched to extended release metformin "ER" and it made a huge difference in gastro side effects.

kathy fardell

Dislikes
Curry
This article grabbed my attention as I too get the most terrible leg pains ,anywhere from groin to ankle, EVERY night just as I get into bed. Also occasional cramps & getting more frequent . I'm on Metformin one tablet twice a day. I go to my physio once a week for back problems and he massages my legs but cant see any obvious problems, which is why I too suspect Metformin. Any advice re the pains -Kathy Type 2

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
kathy fardell said:
This article grabbed my attention as I too get the most terrible leg pains ,anywhere from groin to ankle, EVERY night just as I get into bed. Also occasional cramps & getting more frequent . I'm on Metformin one tablet twice a day. I go to my physio once a week for back problems and he massages my legs but cant see any obvious problems, which is why I too suspect Metformin. Any advice re the pains -Kathy Type 2

I've only had the most minimal cramps since I went back on to the magnesium citrate supplement - I take MagAsorb, 150mg per pill, 2 pills daily. The pills are enormous, suitable for horses I would think, but I find them easy enough to get down :shock: .

Regarding your leg pains, Kathy - do you have them during the day at all, and are they long-term pains or just short, intense, but soon over? You could ask your physio if he thinks you might have lumbar spinal stenosis? which is an arthitic overgrowth on the joints of the lower spine which leads to pinching of the nerves. Physios are usually better at diagnosing that, than GPs. And ask him whether he thinks it might be worth you having an MRI scan to look for that, and for any disc problems. It can be difficult getting referred for one - in my area it has to be done by the Spinal Rehabilitation Unit at our local hospital. My GP referred me to them.

Just a thought! :D

Viv 8)

kathyfardell

Thanks for that Viv. The leg pains I get are very sharp and intense and last most of the night, often have to take painkillers to get to or back to sleep.
I will relay what you said to my physiotherapist. -Kathy

Nada

I only got diagnosed 2 months ago and haven't been on met thingy for long when got the first leg cramps at night - never had them before and thought it was my diabetes / stress over it all. Very interesting to see it could be the met tabs. They've just switched me to slow release met due to extreme gastric reaction so maybe that will help??? I have never fidgeted in bed so much in my life so thanks for this post / discussion.

Sweet dreams ;)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
kathyfardell said:
P.S. Hi Viv, no I don't get these pains until I put my legs up in bed .

What happens if you put your feet up on the sofa? Have you tried lying down on your bed during the day to see if it still happens then? If it is related to your back, maybe it's something to do with your sleeping position? Maybe try the tonic water before bed, just to see?

Just a few thoughts! :D

Viv 8)

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
For me,having a small glass of red wine seemed to remove the cramps.

DogPsyche

Something definitely went on with my legs when I was on high doses of Metformin, although it was restless leg more than cramps.