Defren

diadeb said:
WhitbtyJet, do you think that the chips idea would work on swede instead of celeriac, Deb

I LURVE celeriac chips, much nicer than potato chips. Actually, I have a celeriac, chips for dinner tomorrow. :D

Yes, swede can be used instead, I haven't tried it, but I have read about someone who did. Sorry I'm not WJ, so hope I'm not treading on toes.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Thanks Defren, going to try it with swede as I usually eat swede chips because I don't like celeriac. Deb

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WhitbyJet, I am going to make the Breakfast Rolls but do the nigella seeds go into the mixture or are they for garnish, thanks, Deb

WhitbyJet

diadeb said:
WhitbyJet, I am going to make the Breakfast Rolls but do the nigella seeds go into the mixture or are they for garnish, thanks, Deb

You mix them in, you can sprinkle other seeds on top, eg sesame or sunflower seeds.

Defren

Clean Eating Greek Spinach & Feta Turkey Muffins
(Makes 15 muffins)

Ingredients
1.5 lbs. lean ground turkey
3 egg whites
2 tbsp. Greek herb blend
1 tbsp. garlic powder
6 oz. feta
2 cups frozen spinach

Directions

Step 1 – In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, blending thoroughly.

Step 2 – Fill your baking cups (cupcake papers – the silver, foil ones work best for this) level to the top of the baking cup.

Step 3 – Bake at 350 F. for approximately 35 – 45 minutes. Check these with a meat thermometer to be sure they are done. They should reach a minimum of 165 F. on the thermometer.

Step 4 – Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator. These freeze well and thaw quickly.

Eat and Enjoy!

Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1 muffin

Calories: 112
Total Fat: 6 gm
Saturated Fats: 3 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 46 mg
Sodium: 203 mg
Carbohydrates: 2 gm
Dietary fiber: 1 gm
Sugars: 1 gm
Protein: 11 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 1

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean- ... y-muffins/

Please be aware, this is a clean eating forum, which I do follow, however some of these recipe's are not low carb. Make sure you check the nutritional information before making. I would hate to see anyone get a bad spike, as some of these dishes are brilliant, but do watch, some are not diabetic friendly.

Enjoy!!

PS I LOVE nigella seeds, the aroma is off the charts. I add nigella seeds to all my bread, and it really just finishes it off lovely.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WhitbyJet and Defren, thanks for the info about nigella seeds, just off to Indian shop to get some, Deb x

Amy049

Hi guys, wondering if anyone could help..

I've just tried making WhitbyJet's pizza recipe from page 10 (have sat here all day looking for low carb recipes, you guys are awesome thank you!)

I'm not sure if it was meant to be but the dough was incredibly gooey and sticky to the point where I couldn't get it off my hands! I've added more almond flour to try and sort it out but it's still not what you would class as a 'dough', and I definitely can't shape it into anything :oops:

Not sure where I'm going wrong or if I'm wrong at all but could someone give me some pointers? You have no idea how much I'm missing pizza! :lol: Thanks for any help, Amy x

maggie2

Ingredients
1 1/2 c. Almond Flour
1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder (it's gluten free)
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Large Pastured Egg
Cooking Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Set aside large baking sheet.
2. Cut 2 pieces of parchment paper the size of baking sheet.
3. Combine dry ingredients first then add egg and olive oil. Mix with a fork until it comes together into a ball.
4. Place dough between parchment paper and with a rolling pin, roll to about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Remove top piece of parchment and set crust along with the bottom piece of parchment onto baking sheet.
6. Bake 15 minutes.
7. Crust should be lightly browned.
8. Remove from oven, add toppings and return to oven to finish off.
Makes a l0" pizza vase,

This is so easy and you can be as inventive as you like with your toppings.
Recipe is from the Gluten free almond cookbook

Sever

You are all awesome sauce for this thread I have been going round collecting recipes thank you ! I am drooling over them lol , apart from cauliflour what makes a good rice subsitute for curry ?

WhitbyJet

Amy049 said:
Hi guys, wondering if anyone could help..

I've just tried making WhitbyJet's pizza recipe from page 10 (have sat here all day looking for low carb recipes, you guys are awesome thank you!)

I'm not sure if it was meant to be but the dough was incredibly gooey and sticky to the point where I couldn't get it off my hands! I've added more almond flour to try and sort it out but it's still not what you would class as a 'dough', and I definitely can't shape it into anything :oops:

Not sure where I'm going wrong or if I'm wrong at all but could someone give me some pointers? You have no idea how much I'm missing pizza! :lol: Thanks for any help, Amy x

Oh Amy, I have been wondering what could have gone wrong there, but now I THINK I have got the answer, is it that you expected it to be like a dough, a dough that you would roll out on a floured board, etc??
Low carb baking is a bit different to baking with flour, almond flour doesnt bind like ordinary flour does, with this particular recipe you fold in the stiffly beaten egg white, then dip the whole lot out on to a greased oven tray, better still a greased silicon tray, then pat it into shape using a spatula, no hands or fingers needed.

I have made this recipe a few times, and others have tried it as well, there has been quite a bit of positive feedback, so I hope you will not let this bad experience put you off.

WhitbyJet

Sever said:
You are all awesome sauce for this thread I have been going round collecting recipes thank you ! I am drooling over them lol , apart from cauliflour what makes a good rice subsitute for curry ?

The only rice substitute that I know for curry is cauliflower rice, cooked pilau style, it does taste very authentic too. Depending how low carb you want to be, you could try to have just a couple of tablespoons of basmati rice, many members report that it doesnt cause a spike. As always, its important to test your bg levels to find out how food affects you.

If you wanted to make a cauliflower pilau rice, here is the recipe:
Melt ghee in a pan, add finely chopped onion, 3 cardamom pods, slightly bruised, 3 cloves, slightly bruised, a piece of cassia bark and a bay leaf, fry this on medium heat, dont burn, the onion should turn slightly yellow not brown, when the onion beginis to turn slightly brown at the edges, take the pan off the heat and leave to infuse.

Grate or shred cauliflower to resemble rice grains, cook in the microwave on high for 5 - 6 minutes, remove spices from ghee, stir in the rice.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi again, I want to try the aubergine and leek lasagna but how do I make the low carb sauce in it please, thanks, Deb

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb Carrot Cake

This is the carrot cake I made in my post, it the same as Mary's Carrot Cake a la LCHF Posted previously by Whitbyjet.

I used Xylitol and Liquid Stevia mix for sweetner

Divided the cake into 8 slices at only 5.1 carbs each.

3 Large Eggs
300g Almond Flour
100g Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
Vanilla essence/extract
2 tsp baking powder
2 medium finely grated Carrots
50g melted butter
sweetener - add as and when and taste the mixture

Melt the butter, combine remaining ingredients and mix well, whisk in the melted butter Grease a springform tin, pour the cake batter into the tin and bake on lower shelf in the oven at 175 degrees for ???? I put ???? because everyones cooker is different, Mine took 55 mins or until the cake is done (depends on oven and tin used)

Remove cake and cool, meanwhile prepare the frosting:

200g Cream cheese
50g unsalted butter - Room Temperature
few drops of lime or lemon juice
Beat together cream cheese, butter, add lime/lemon juice,add sweetener as and when and taste the mixture until you have the desired texture and taste.

Spread on to the cooled cake.

Eat.

http://metrobloggen.se/millasmat/maries_morotskaka_ala_lchf/

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SweetHeart said:
Bio, what size springform tin and, as a rough guide, how much sweetener did you use?

Ju

I think it was an 8 inch or a 9 inch. about 4 tsp of Liquid stevia not sure about amount of xylitol as just put in to taste, not too much really.

The Frosting was about 2 tsp Stevia and the same again not sure about Xylitol, sorry lol.

SweetHeart

I wondered about the tin because a larger tin would give you more (flatter) slices and therefore fewer carbs. I think I can guestimate the sweetener - I haven't got liquid stevia, just the mega sweet white pure stevia, xylitol and splenda.

Might make that tomorrow if my chickens provide some eggs - down to two a day now (from 13 chooks!) because of the weather and darkening evenings.

Ju

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SweetHeart said:
I wondered about the tin because a larger tin would give you more (flatter) slices and therefore fewer carbs. I think I can guestimate the sweetener - I haven't got liquid stevia, just the mega sweet white pure stevia, xylitol and splenda.

Might make that tomorrow if my chickens provide some eggs - down to two a day now (from 13 chooks!) because of the weather and darkening evenings.

Ju

It does not rise greatly, it does a little, I think any flatter in a bigger tin would be a carrot flan lol

SweetHeart

Low Carb Raspberry Curd

We have loads of raspberries in the garden, so I made this

DSCF2943.jpg

It tastes fabulous and has only 1g carbs per ounce. The recipes is here:

http://julesapple.blog.com/2012/09/29/l ... erry-curd/

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SweetHeart, this looks lovely, could I make it with frozen raspberries?

SweetHeart

diadeb said:
SweetHeart, this looks lovely, could I make it with frozen raspberries?

I can't see why not. It might take a few minutes longer to thicken up though as there might be a wee bit extra water in the frozen berries.

Ju