Good heart warming winter low carb food

SweetHeart

We use steamed brocolli as a pasta/rice/spud substitute. We have it with chili, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, stews, curries (sounds odd but tastes really good) A few nights ago we had it with sausage casserole. Also, creamed celriac is a great accompaniment to a lot of the dishes WJ suggested. And you can sub chicken or pork in many of them too, for extra variety.

Ju

Defren

wiflib said:
My favourite is slow cooked lamb with a grating of 100% cocoa at the end of cooking. Glossy and rich.

I've been experimenting in trying to get a crispy coat on various things and have finally come up with this.

A mix of "hard cheese' (the stuff we used to put on our spag bol in the 1970's), and seasoning (I used mustard powder, S&P, dried garlic and paprika). The bit that makes it crispy when cooked is a bit of arrowroot. I use it to dry coat chicken thighs and fishcakes (sans potatoes) and it comes out beautifully crispy.

wiflib

Libby, I think I love you! I made your coating for some chicken breasts I had. I tweaked it slightly so all the family would eat it. I didn't add paprika or mustard powder, I replaced them with garam masala. Crispy is not the word, and the smell as it was cooking (I fried the chicken in avocado oil) made my stomach growl. I served it with a dip I made using Greek yogurt, cucumber and single cream. I have never seen plates empty as fast! I have been asked to make this at least once a week, and I can certainly go along with that. Thank you so much, this is an absolute firm favourite, it really is delicious, oh! one other thing, no dry chicken, it was moist and succulent. YUUUMMMMMMMM!!!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My pleasure Def.

My son (lives in London, low-carbs), came to stay for the weekend and because he sends me pictures of all the food he cooks, took up the challenge to make a low-carb chinese meal for me and some friends. The boy is a miracle worker.

Sweet and sour sauce? No problem. Low-carb tomato sauce (Heinz, lowcarbmegastore) and rice vinegar. I kid you not, it tastes exactly like the S&S from your local takeaway.
Deep fried, batter coated crispy chicken? No problem. Two beaten eggs and enough arrowroot to make a wet batter. Done.
The salt and pepper wings were exactly the same as a takeaway.
It took me three days of prep but we had crispy duck with plum sauce (lowcarbmegastore), wrapped up in cold, crispy iceberg lettuce leaves.

There were 5 of us at table with enough food to feed ten but it all went. Greedy buggers.

wiflib

rtee

Oh wow! Just had my meal but that is almost enough to make me hungry again!
How did you do the salt and pepper wings? Please tell. :) :) :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it was the same batter and I think he used ground white pepper and rock salt for the flavour.
He also made satay chicken and shredded crispy beef.

I made a Jasmine tea ice cream for pud.

Defren

wiflib said:
My pleasure Def.

My son (lives in London, low-carbs), came to stay for the weekend and because he sends me pictures of all the food he cooks, took up the challenge to make a low-carb chinese meal for me and some friends. The boy is a miracle worker.

Sweet and sour sauce? No problem. Low-carb tomato sauce (Heinz, lowcarbmegastore) and rice vinegar. I kid you not, it tastes exactly like the S&S from your local takeaway.
Deep fried, batter coated crispy chicken? No problem. Two beaten eggs and enough arrowroot to make a wet batter. Done.
The salt and pepper wings were exactly the same as a takeaway.
It took me three days of prep but we had crispy duck with plum sauce (lowcarbmegastore), wrapped up in cold, crispy iceberg lettuce leaves.

There were 5 of us at table with enough food to feed ten but it all went. Greedy buggers.

wiflib

Gulp! Libby shurrup with all these yummy recipe's. It's fasting day tomorrow and a lettuce leaf does not look appealing compared to this. Ok, so I fibbed a bit, it's two lettuce leaves tomorrow :lol:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, but what a fabulous thing to look forward to!

The cauli rice when down a treat too.

Defren

wiflib said:
Ah, but what a fabulous thing to look forward to!

The cauli rice when down a treat too.

I can't argue with you there. Ok, keep posting yummy recipe's. I promise to seethe quietly on fasting days. :lol:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've added the Bernstein Beef Stew to the recipe thread

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OOOooo, I almost forgot, the chicken and leek soup that is a winter staple in my house.

Ashleigh

Just finished stuffing my face with low carb lasagna :D

I used leek instead of pasta, made my own tomato sauce (tomatoes, garlic, onion ((I didnt know leeks tasted like onion - never had them before, but it wasnt too oniony)), basil, thyme & oregano) and put mozzarella and cathedral city cheese sauce in & on top as the cheese.

Was lovely but too runny, again.