Breakfast Loaf x 3 Varieties

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
SweetHeart said:
Breakfast Loaf

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/appletreecrafts/DSCF2430.jpg[/img
[/quote]

Hi Sweetheart, ive tried a couple of cake recipes using almond four (ground almonds) and both have been very light in colour, which is OK but boring, now looking at this pic I am wondering is it just the few tsp of cinnamon and mixed spice which gives your cake its darker appearance? Non of the other ingredients look as though they would affect the cakes colour.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
SweetHeart said:
Breakfast Loaf

DSCF2430.jpg

Hi Sweetheart, ive tried a couple of cake recipes using almond four (ground almonds) and both have been very light in colour, which is OK but boring, now looking at this pic I am wondering is it just the few tsp of cinnamon and mixed spice which gives your cake its darker appearance? Non of the other ingredients look as though they would affect the cakes colour.

SweetHeart

Three teaspoons of brown spices and the chopped walnuts with their darker skin, will colour and cake mixture. Apple puree will also darken slightly with baking.

The blueberry version had no spices so you can see exactly what a difference it makes.

Ju

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmm, interesting , I shall have to have another play around. Thank you :thumbup:

SweetHeart

Interestingly and, perhaps, oddly, the banana essence in the banana & chocolate loaf made the oil in the walnuts turn a bright emerald green by the next day. I kid you not.

It is supposed to be completely natural, so I can't explain why it happened.

Ju

SweetHeart

I have realised, this morning whilst making a loaf, that the optional wheat bran will also darken the colour. I always add it so my loaves are darker with exception for the blueberry version.

Ju

susy23

Hi, id love to try these recipes but my son has nut allergy so we have nut free household. Is there any alternative flour i could use?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
SweetHeart
that looks delicious, but do you have an alternative to coconut flour?
I happen to loathe coconut.
Hana

SweetHeart

hanadr said:
SweetHeart
that looks delicious, but do you have an alternative to coconut flour?
I happen to loathe coconut.
Hana

Hana, just leave it out. I put it in to lower the GI and also to help make the bread as filling as possible to sustain people until lunchtime. You may need to bake the loaf for a little longer as the mixture will be wetter without the coconut.

Ju