Holiday and not much insulin

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Hello. Im catching a train at 10am tomorrow morning to go on holiday. I have insulin but not enough for the 5 night stay. I need to ring my doctors and get them to send a fax down then hopefully boots can sort my prescription out. What are the chances of them getting it done before 9:50am if I phone them at 9:00am? Im just hoping boots have the insulin in-stock.

PS. A bit nervous about this one :/

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Try asking your chemist for an advance on the script explaining the problem they are usually helpful if its a chemist you regularly get your insulin from. Best of luck :D

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
borderter said:
Try asking your chemist for an advance on the script explaining the problem they are usually helpful if its a chemist you regularly get your insulin from. Best of luck :D

Yeah. Usually they ask for 2 days but if I get my doctors to send a fax through once as for some reason they didnt get the confirmation. Fax is pretty instant. Yeah I have used Boots for the 6 years ive been diabetic.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Should be fine with a fax but I would ring gps and after ring boots to make sure they have received the fax as quiet often I dont work for boots but another leading pharmacy we get Drs saying they will do it to people but don't get the fax. Just remember however a pharmacist doesn't legally have to comply with a fax script if the Drs are open it's only out or hours and weekends that they do.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
abs said:
Should be fine with a fax but I would ring gps and after ring boots to make sure they have received the fax as quiet often I dont work for boots but another leading pharmacy we get Drs saying they will do it to people but don't get the fax. Just remember however a pharmacist doesn't legally have to comply with a fax script if the Drs are open it's only out or hours and weekends that they do.

Ahh. So I could be going on holiday with no insulin? :crazy: Hopefully they will get it sorted. Doctors opens at 8:30 so ile phone them then. At 9 ile phone boots to see if they got the fax/can do it.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are holidaying in UK or europe you should be able to get some insulin at a walk in center or from a GP i think .When I was running out of metformin in southern Ireland I went to a chemist who rung a GP who said they would prescribe if I took in the meds that I had

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
carty said:
If you are holidaying in UK or europe you should be able to get some insulin at a walk in center or from a GP i think .When I was running out of metformin in southern Ireland I went to a chemist who rung a GP who said they would prescribe if I took in the meds that I had

Ahh. Im actually going to Barmouth in Wales. Im pretty sure there is a chemist there. Hope they just get it sorted before I go though.

GlazedDoughnuts

I find getting hold of fast acting insulin tends to be easier, a lot more places seem to have it in stock.
Trying to find my Humalog mix at short notice was impossible.

Normally most places can have it ordered in for the next day so you may only have to go a day without it and get it locally in Wales.

As already mentioned if desperate go to an A&E.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
GlazedDoughnuts said:
I find getting hold of fast acting insulin tends to be easier, a lot more places seem to have it in stock.

Normally most places can have it ordered in for the next day so you may only have to go a day without it and get it locally in Wales.

As mentioned before they usually say 2 days. Is this for them to wait for the insulin to arrive or just the permission?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Beav, don't worry about it, I've not had enough insulin with me when visiting my parents in Cardiff. I just went to boots, explained the situation and bought an insulin pen. They said they get this all the time. Cost £12 for Lantus.

GlazedDoughnuts

Beav said:
GlazedDoughnuts said:

As mentioned before they usually say 2 days. Is this for them to wait for the insulin to arrive or just the permission?

From the moment Tesco/Boots received my prescription they were able to have the Insulin ordered in for me and ready to collect the next day. A faxed prescription made no change to my local Boots.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's go the insulin to arrive basically it's down to money and stock levels there is limited room to stock medication in a dispensary and most tend to keep the more popular stock in to avoid the risks of loosing profits on the medication as if it's a less popular one and doesn't get dispensed before it goes out of date them is a loss to the pharmacy. So basically it's all about money. However most places should be able to get different types of insulin in within 24hrs as long as it's in the warehouse.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Looks like its a bit hit and miss then. If they have any in then I can get some if not ile have to go to barmouth. Thing is I have to stop of in another town on the way with a boots so they could possibly have some in and give it me instantly if I show my repeat priscription??