Cravings (possibily a "ladies only" question!)

BlindFaith

-stands and holds up hand-
I am Natalie and I am a major chocolate freak.

I love the 75%+ cocoa chocolate but at THAT time of the month all I want is a big fat bar of Dairy Milk. Or cake. Or ice cream.
Anything sweet, really...but chocolate is the major one.

Now I know I shouldn't be eating chocolate. Even though my BG levels have improved dramatically I know I shouldn't be eating chocolate.
But it's like this chocolate monster inside me comes out and breathes fire at everyone until it's fed something sweet...

I had thought about making truffles but I don't tolerate cream at all well and sometimes the high cocoa stuff just does not cut it.
How on earth do you ladies deal with this sort of thing?!

Fraddycat

I have a secret stash of Atkins bars, most types are chocolately, and Boots are doing 3 for 2 at the mo. They are quite expensive but sometimes only a chocolate bar will do. If you are sensitive to polyols don't go mad they can gallop through you ...

l0vaduck

I don't really suffer from chocolate cravings, but I do enjoy chocolate so I get my chocolate fix in two main ways. I buy decent chocolate - Hotel Chocolate - they do six packs which when shared with my other half generally don't amount to much more than 15g carbs. We have them at weekends, and because it's a treat I look forward to, it enables me to resist inferior chocolate during the week. The other thing I sometimes do is have an Options or Highlights hot chocolate - they're only about 5g carbs.

If you want even less carbs another option is to make cocoa with soya milk and sweetener. If you buy unsweetened soya milk it contains hardly any carbs.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, definitely understand. I use the Options hot chocolate. Or daft at it sounds, a nice slab of cheese with some thinly sliced apple can be really satisfying. Mmmmmm, yum

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I'm on have noticed now that I've given up chocolate that I crave it so much when I'm on and end up giving in and also tend to drink lots of diet coke as well at that time of the month.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My strategy when I'm trying to give up something I know I shouldn't eat is to buy the WORST brands of it so that I don't enjoy it so much.

I did that with cigarettes years ago and eventually stopped enjoying them so it was easier when it came to stopping completely. With the less enjoyable substitute you train your brain to start rejecting it and before you know it, your habit has disappeared.

It worked with men for me too. :wink:

BlindFaith

GraceK said:
It worked with men for me too. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the replies - I'd not thought of making cocoa or using the Options hot chocolate.

Neicy - apple and cheese is delicious...and now I'm hungry, lol :D

Keep the ideas coming, please as I am dreading my upcoming TOM...

Defren

I really feel for all you ladies who suffer the chocolate monster, otherwise knows as TOM. I never craved chocolate, and was never a big chocolate eater. My poor eldest is though, she gallops through chocolate at TOM like polyols through a diabetic (sorry Fraddy, the devil made me do it :lol: ). For me, all I want is painkillers and calm, and I am right as rain, but seeing my girl, I know it can be hell where cravings are concerned.

What about low carb chocolate cake, would that help perhaps?

BlindFaith

Hmm...I shall have to look up a low GI chocolate cake recipe and see if that helps - thanks Defren!

I feel for your eldest, I think I'd chew someones arm off if I so much as smelled chocolate on them :lol:

Defren

BlindFaith said:
Hmm...I shall have to look up a low GI chocolate cake recipe and see if that helps - thanks Defren!

I feel for your eldest, I think I'd chew someones arm off if I so much as smelled chocolate on them :lol:

I have a recipe, I make low carb cakes a lot, as well as other things. I will post it tomorrow for you. I have just had another thought, do you like snickers or bounty bars? If you do, there is a recipe here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23840&hilit=bounty+bars I have made the almost bounty bars, and they are really nice. I have not made the snickers bars, but you could try those. I am making the bounty bars tomorrow, I told my friend about them and she doesn't believe you can have low carb bounty, so I promised to make them to prove her wrong. She will eat her words and the bounty bars once she tastes them. :lol:

BlindFaith

I love Snickers but can't eat Bounty bars - hubby is allergic to all forms of coconut and the taste of it makes me ill!

Thank you, I'm gathering some recipes via Google searching so I will add yours to the collection :D

Defren

BlindFaith said:
I love Snickers but can't eat Bounty bars - hubby is allergic to all forms of coconut and the taste of it makes me ill!

Thank you, I'm gathering some recipes via Google searching so I will add yours to the collection :D

I will post mine tomorrow, done a huge pile of ironing and am shattered. I use a base recipe, then add whatever I want, chocolate, coconut, cinnamon, even banana essence to make a banana loaf - I miss banana's. Must go to bed, my eyes are very tired. :lol:

SweetHeart

Try this chocolate cake, it works....

DSCF2862.jpg

12 servings

Ingredients:

2 - 100g 85% Lindt chocolate bar(7oz)
8.5oz unsalted butter(1 cup + 1 tablespoon)
1/2 cup xylitol
1/4 cup granulated Splenda
6 large eggs, whisked up
1 teaspoon vanilla
19 tablespoons (1 cup + 3 tablespoons)Dutch process cocoa powder
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries(you can make without if you do not care for raspberries)

Preheat oven to 375°F
butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper. If you do not have parchment you can just dust cocoa powder over the buttered pan(exactly the same way you butter and flour a cake pan).
Break up chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk xylitol and Splenda into chocolate mixture. Add eggs & vanilla, whisk well. (eggs should be added slowly while whisking quickly) Sift cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan. If adding raspberries, add now by evenly distributing over smoothed out batter in pan. Gently press raspberries down.
Bake at 375f oven for 25-35 minutes.(no raspberries is close to 27 min and with raspberries a few mins longer)

I crave sweets very badly at TOM. I just wish it would all just go away. I'm not having any more babies, so it can stop now, I have no need for it all.

Ju

BlindFaith

Oh that just looks so good.... I'm trying to not lick my computer screen right now :lol:

Is there anything I can use as a substitute for xylitol?

Another TOM question for you lovely ladies - how do you stop the constant "eat everything in sight" moments?
It doesn't matter what I eat, I get moments where I could eat everything in my kitchen, followed by the cat, small children, cars, etc... :lol:

HGafney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i must be lucky. the only thing i crave TOM is massive amounts of protein and ooops yes comfort food. like chocoate cake, marshmallows and bananas...

SweetHeart

You could work out the equivalent in Splenda or Candarel and sweeteners like those, but they will affect the taste - they don't work very well with chocolate. I use TotalSweet, which is xylitol, I've tried Splenda and it's disgusting.

Ju