BYETTA

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Everyone

Well I've been using the Byetta for 5 days now and I seem to get the sickness really bad in the evening. Haven't been sick but the feeling is really awful. Not sure if it is to do with my main meal is in the evening and although I eat soon after injecting and I've cut my portions sizes down and am eating bland foods this doesn't seem to help.

I sip the Ginger Cordial in the evening but wonder if anyone else had any other tips for beating the nausea? I don't seem to get it in the mornings anymore and can only think its to do with my meal being too heavy?

Has anyone injected and then eaten a couple of crackers straight away and then eaten their main meal around an hour and half later from injecting and would this maybe help with the nausea?

Thanks

tinam

hiya, my sickness is worse at night also. the tablests from the doc aint really helped. but i have tried injecting at different times after the injection but it doesnt seem to make any difference. sorry that hasnt been any help. the morning injection is ok now but just the later one is the problem too. the sickness wont last forever so i keep telling myself. good luck x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

fiona35 said:
Has anyone injected and then eaten a couple of crackers straight away and then eaten their main meal around an hour and half later from injecting and would this maybe help with the nausea?
Hi Fiona, and welcome to Tinam,
I not sure your idea would work Fiona. When a non-diabetic starts to eat, the arrival of food in the stomach triggers the production of hormones called GLP-1 and GIP. These hormones signal the pancreas to start producing insulin which will be needed once the carbs in the meal have been converted to sugar. This is called first-phase insulin production. Once the cycle has started then, with the continuing arrival of more food, the pancreas will continue to produce as much insulin as is needed to deal with the additional blood sugar. This production of insulin in response to the meal is second-phase production.

A problem that is now known to be quite common in type-2s is that part of our autoimmune system, an enzyme called DPP-4, attacks and destroys GLP-1 before it can reach the pancreas. So our pancreases never get the signal to start and so aren't ready when the blood sugars start to go up. Phase 2 then either doesn't happen or is a pretty half-hearted affair. This autoimmune attack is believed to affect as many as 40% of type-2s - but as yet less than 1% of type-2s are on Byetta. Byetta contains another hormone, exendin-4, which is very similar to GLP-1, but is not attacked by DPP-4. Your pancreas recognises the exendin as it's signal to start producing insulin.

If you take the Byetta shot then your first-phase production will start. But I'm not sure if the carbs in a few crackers would be enough to get the pancreas into second-phase production. First-phase production doesn't last very long so the risk is that, with no further food coming in, your pancreas will have shut down again before your main meal. You could try it but there is a danger that getting the first-phase going with insufficient carbs could result in a hypo. You might need a hypo-stop handy just in case.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Ok Cheers for that Dennis.

Think I'll give that idea a miss as have had a few near misses lately!! Have tested before meals and I have had 2 readings of 3.8 and 4.1 before my evening meal and when this has occured I do feel a bit weird. On rising though these are still around 7.5 to 8.5 but they are slowing dropping.

Have to say the Byetta has done the job in reducing my sugars and my appetite to boot as well! I can't remember the last time I ever saw a reading like 7.5 after eating a meal!! The scales at home are also looking very good!!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Well done Fiona, that's great news. I'm sorry but I can't remember whether you are on the 5μg or 10μg dose. I think we (and I include some of the consultants in this) sometimes tend to think of 10μg as being the "normal" dose, with 5μg as simply a stepping stone towards it. Your pre-prandial readings are almost at hypo levels, so if you are on 10μg, it could be that 5μg is as strong as you need. If you are currently at 5μg then your readings certainly don't indicate any need for you to be on the stronger dose, and you might want to consider a small increase in carbs to raise the levels slightly.

Like you I suffer from higher readings in the morning than in the evening. My own consultant recommended that either a protein snack (handfull of nuts or small piece of cheese on a cracker) or a brisk 20 minute walk at about 10pm would help to suppress the liver's production of unneeded glucose, which is generally what causes the higher morning readings. My morning readings are often 1.5 to 2 mmol higher than the evening ones, but as they are still quite low I don't worry too much about it.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Tina,
If you look back at the posts on page 9 of this thread, I gave some tips that others have found helpful in overcoming the nausea. Unfortunately if these don't work for you then all you can do is hold on, because eventually your body will recognise Byetta as friendly and will stop trying to reject it. For most people it lasts for between 3 and 10 days, but in a few cases it can take a long time - one of our members suffered for a couple of months before it subsided. There have been a few cases where they body just continually rejects the Byetta, but these are pretty rare.

tinam

hiya denis and thanks for the welcome. i read all your notes on page 9, thanks for the advice its very appreciated, thats 2 weeks today ive been on byetta and today was the first day i didnt really feel as sick but still need to take second injection so may be its starting to settle down. i no im new at this but im sure it will get better. my blood is now in single figures used to be 13 to 15.3 was the highest but the last few days its been 9. something. so its working. i was thinking that may be i should stay on the lower does for another month and was wondering what anyone thinks of that. and can you tell me does the sickness return when you go on to higher does. thanks again. tina x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Tina,
Unfortunately the nausea does return when you move up to the 10μg dose, so as it is taking you quite a long time to adjust to the lower dose, my own opinion is that you would be better staying on the lower dose for a second month and then move up. If you were to switch up to 10μg almost as soon as your body has come to accept the 5μg dose, you would almost certainly get a violent reaction to the higher dose. At the end of the day its your doctor's decision, but if you explain the situation to him I'm sure he will listen.

It certainly wouldn't do you any harm because the lower dose seems to be bringing your sugar levels down steadily. Of course you can help that process by reducing the amount of carbohydrates in your diet, not by a huge amount but just a little (if you usually have 2 slices of toast, have one instead; if you normally have 4 potatoes, try having 3).

tinam

hiya and thanks dennis, i need 2 speak to the nurse later this week so ill ask her then. this all new to me. i just hope this works as well for me as it does for others. thanks again x

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Dennis

Thanks for that, I'm on the 5mcg pen at the moment but yesterday before evening meal I was 10!!! Not sure what caused that as my lunch was a slice of toast with scrambled egg on but my sugars do seem to be a bit all over the place for me anyway!! After my evening meal it did reduce down to 9.5 but I had the injection as well to cover me for that meal, then I had the worst nausea ever!!!

Have got the DSN next monday and she said we would discuss moving to the higher doseage if needed, I don't think I'm ready to move to the next dosage yet, not with the nausea at any rate!!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Fiona,
I wouldn't recommend moving up to the higher dose until you have been nausea-free for at least 3 weeks. I have seen quite a few cases of people being moved up from 5 to the 10mcg when their systems have only just come to accept the 5, and the nausea they experience is far worse than they had on the 5 level. So much so that in many cases the patients have had to stop the medication completely. It is just so unnecessary - all it needs is a little patience from the HCPs and for them to actually listen to what the patient has to say. They may be the medical experts but you know your own body far better than they ever will!

Janesi

Update - I have been taking the Byetta now for 10 days and to be honest have never felt so rough. I called my Diabetic nurse the morning after the 1st dose as I was so upset. My rising level was higher than I was used to and then about an hour after eating my levels plummeted! That seems to have improved slightly, but the nausea is just as bad. I'm eating 30 mins after injecting at the moment. I'm dreading going back to see the nurse and her increasing the dose to 10. I haven't lost any weight and although I feel full, I'm still able to eat what I normally eat - which aren't big portions anyway. I'm still in two minds as to whether to continue with the byetta - hoping for something positive to happen very soon.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Jane,
The nausea you are experiencing is not at all unusual when starting Byetta. I know that it's unpleasant and you feel pretty rough but it does wear off eventually, in most people in a week to 10 days but longer for some. A lot of people have found that having the injection immediately before you eat can help to reduce the nausea. In fact the longer the gap between injecting and eating then the more likey that you will have nausea. Have a look at some of the posts a couple of pages back on this thread for some tips that might help with the nausea.

Hang on in there if you can - believe me the benefits are huge.

EDIT - forgot to ask - were you started on the 5mcg dose?

tinam

hiya i just thought i would let u all no that today has been the first day the nausia has been ok. the nausia lasted 18 days and wasnt nice but it has gone just now. well untill i go on to the higher dose probably. but hopefully ill have a month to get used to this dose then go on to the higher one. well i hope eveyone is getting on ok and the nausia doesnt last too long. take care x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Tina,
That's great news and well done for sticking with it. I appreciate that its very difficult but nearly everyone I have met on Byetta has agreed the end results are well worth the early pain.

As it has taken you so long to become acclimatised to the 5mcg pen I would certainly recommend that you ask your DSN or GP to keep you on the lower dose pen for a further full month. Unfortunately it is likely that the nausea will come back when you move up to the 10mcg dose, but generally people who are allowed longer to acclimatise to the 5mcg suffer less and for a shorter period when the dose is increased.

tinam

hi dennis, i will be seeing nurse on monday so i am going to ask her to keep me on lower dose for another month , at one stage i was thinking this aint worth feeling like this but im so glad that i stuck with it. this a great wee site and helps alot. knowing im not the only one feeling like this is a great help. i dont think i tolerate medication too well cos i always had upset tummy on 3 metfornin a day, now the nurse wants me to take 4 a day as well, i dont think she was listening hehe, any way keep up your good work helping people. your a star x

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians

I have been asked by my DN if i want to try byetta i was thinking about it when i had a visit from a family friend who lives in Kentucky who has an in-law who has had quite severe problems with it so i will be telling my DN not to bother.

Trinkwasser

matty1959 said:
I have been asked by my DN if i want to try byetta i was thinking about it when i had a visit from a family friend who lives in Kentucky who has an in-law who has had quite severe problems with it so i will be telling my DN not to bother.

Experience seems to be that Byetta is either very suitable or not at all suitable, depending on various factors. You can't know from someone else's bad experience how it may (or may not) work for you.

The question is, how much do you trust your DN's judgement?

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Thought I would post an update - the last few days have been Nausea free - at long last!

Went out for a meal last night and popped to the toilets to take Lizzie, felt a bit of an idiot asking if they could let me know 15 mins before my meal comes out but the waitress didn't bat an eyelid!!
Have learnt to carry a spare needle as when I took the needle out from having used it and unscrewed it, I then dropped it on the floor! At least it was after I had used it!

Have got my appt with my DSN tomorrow to find out how I am getting on, one thing I have noticed is my sugars are starting to rise again but not sure if this is because the pioglitazone has now been reduced? Eventually they want me off the Pioglitazone when they increase the pen dosage.

I have noticed since taking Lizzie that I am not as tired, I have more energy, no more nocturnal visits to the bathroom and I can't believe how ill I must have been before taking Lizzie! :eek:

tinam

hi fiona, im glad your doing ok now, im doing good too. when i read your letter i thought yep i feel better, not going to bathroom during the night much, and the nausia has gone. not too sure if i have more energy yet cos im always on the go. it will take a while to get used to the pen. i like the name you chose lol. well keep well and keep posting how your doing its good for other people to no there is a light at the end of the tunnel even when you think there isnt.take care x