can't do black coffee

rtee

I just can't do black coffee and certainly would find it hard to do NO coffee. I do use decaff though. I hate/loathe/detest tea :sick:

My question:
If I'm low carbing is it better to take my coffee with cream (yum) or with milk? I've checked the specs and cream has less carbs.
Is this likely to affect weight loss/cholesterol levels?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Best to use cream - especially if you have several cups a day. Milk certainly spikes me. Cream will certainly add to your calorie intake, but if your carbs are low enough, it sholdn't affect weight loss. Alternatively, try Lactofree milk - it has about half the carbs of ordinary milk.

Smidge

Grazer

Cream is better than milk, although with the small amount you put in coffee, neither is too bad. Another option is lactofree milk. Tastes just like normal milk, but has the lactose taken out and has almost half the carbs of normal milk. If you like cream though, stick with it.
Your weight loss will come with your carb reduction anyway. Don't worry too much about the cholesterol either. I firmly believe that if you're almost religious about controlling your blood sughatr levels, by testing after every meal to ensure you never go above 7.8 MAXIMUM two hours after eating, evrything else will look after itself. Cholesterol, effect of fat on the heart, all is debatable; the fact that high blood sugar levels cripple then kill us isn't.
Since reducing my carbs by half, and compensating by increasing my fat and protein intake, my bloos sugar levels are getting on for non-diabetic most of the time. But in addition, :-
I've lost two stone in weight (was never overweight by much in the first place!)
Lost 4 inches round the middle
Cholesterol down from 5.5 to 3.8
Blood pressure down from 155/85 to 113/75
None of it planned, all just the result of controlling my BGs through reduced carbs and exercise.

Grazer

Sorry Smidge, saw your post as I was posting mine, and repeated what you said. Luckily, same message though! :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lacto-free milk has around half the carbs as standard milk and tastes no different (well I don't think so) and might be an option if you like a lot of milk in your coffee.

Grazer

smidge said:
Alternatively, try Lactofree milk - it has about half the carbs of ordinary milk.

Grazer said:
Another option is lactofree milk. Tastes just like normal milk, but has the lactose taken out and has almost half the carbs of normal milk.

Grazer said:
Sorry Smidge, saw your post as I was posting mine, and repeated what you said

noblehead said:
Lacto-free milk has around half the carbs as standard milk and tastes no different (well I don't think so) and might be an option

:lol: :lol:
Oh well, better than disagreeing!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Grazer said:
smidge said:
Alternatively, try Lactofree milk - it has about half the carbs of ordinary milk.

Grazer said:
Another option is lactofree milk. Tastes just like normal milk, but has the lactose taken out and has almost half the carbs of normal milk.

Grazer said:
Sorry Smidge, saw your post as I was posting mine, and repeated what you said

noblehead said:
Lacto-free milk has around half the carbs as standard milk and tastes no different (well I don't think so) and might be an option

:lol: :lol:
Oh well, better than disagreeing!

:lol: ...............hopefully the OP gets the message :lol: :lol:

Defren

Cream, cream and more cream. It's pure and natural and tastes yummy. I wouldn't drink any kind of milk any more, but wont say why I would hate to put you all off. :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

I don't like cream in coffee - changes the taste too much. I use whole milk and it's fine for me but use lactofree if I'm having milk in anything else.

rtee

the original PO gets the message!!! :roll:
cream all the way then! Love the thought of being "naughty".

I have resolutely been refusing statins against all docs advice. After reading a book called Nourishing Traditions I decided not to poison myself.
I have been trying to eat more naturally for a while. I'm a coconutophile both internal & external use. I do however, after starting lowcarbing have a stock of barley porridge oats and various other similar goodies I probably won't be using for a while.
Barley porridge anyone?

SweetHeart

rtee said:
.......barley porridge oats and various other similar goodies I probably won't be using for a while.
Barley porridge anyone?

After the husband was dianosed I was sorting through our freezers looking for suppertime inspiration. I was horrified to realise that mostly what was in our two big freezers was carb orientated - breads, pastry of all kinds, some pies. So I then took a look through my storecupboards and larder. Flours, sugars, everything a baker could ever ask for. Pastas, noodles and rice of all kinds. And loads of porage oats.

The freezers are now empty, my Ma has taken most of the pastry and the bread products have been eaten by the chickens. Now the weather is getting colder, I'm slowly getting rid of the pasta/rice/noodles & oats in hot mashes for the chooks. At least it won't be wasted!

Ju

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Sweetheart, better get the chickens tested for blood sugars !

SweetHeart

Superchip said:
Sweetheart, better get the chickens tested for blood sugars !

I actually did wonder that, Superchip, but chooks don't digest stuff the way we do. We had a cockerel who was very nasty and very noisy and we knew we were going to have to dispatch him. Now, we're a bit wussy in that department, so we decided to overdose him on sleeping tablets and diazepam first to make it painless for all concerned. He had half a dozen Tamazepam and half a dozen Diazepam....nothing. No effect what so ever.

We had to get a chap in to dispatch him instead.....we haven't had to do it since, thankfully.

Ju

rtee

Were you all very laid back after you'd eaten him??? :lol:
Actually you probably weren't going to eat him were you? We eat hers not hims don't we?

SweetHeart

A lot of poultry keepers will fatten the excess boys for the pot. The reason you eat hens is because they've come from egg producers once the producers have decided the hens are past their laying best - usually at only 72 weeks old - one laying season for pure breeds but possibly two for hybrids. Six of my girls are four years old now and still lay an egg every day or so in the laying season. I'd never eat my girls.......somewhere, in the heavens, my Scottish Granny will be deeply shocked - her non-productive chooks were soon dispatched and in the pot!

Ju