Amitriptyline (for pain relief)

Jaunty

Dislikes
Bad manners and poor service in shops etc
I too was prescribed this drug to help overcome arthritis in my shoulder, the pain from which was interfering with my sleep. When I read the leaflet that accompanied the drug and learned that it was an anti-depressant, I must admit to being sceptical, but have to say it has worked a treat - low dose of 25mg.

supergob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been on Amitriptyline in combination with Gabapentin, now changed to Pregabalin. Both these drugs are used for treatment for epilepsy and they suppress pain at the nerve ends. Both are now also prescribed for Diabetic Neuropathy, which I have in my feet and legs, and both can be useful in suppressing nerve pains, especially during the night. It all depends upon the dosage of Amitriptyline, as when given the higher dose it has a tendency to send me in a trance, definitely not recommended when driving, so I have cut out the three times a day, preferring to take it along with the pregabalin before bed. I take four pregabalin in total , one before each meal and one last thing at night with the Amitriptyline, I find it has worked in the past for me, but now I have to top it with Co Codamol, I prefer that to the alternative hard drugs.

Wullie

Interesting thread.

Been on Amitriptyline for about 11 years. See it as a prevention rather than a cure now. No pains.

I've always been a positive chap, nothing really gets me down. Is it the drug? Is it a placebo effect? Mmm.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot depends on the dose taken.

I have (twice) suffered a disc prolapse in my neck which has caused nerve damage/pain and prescribed it both times. The first time I managed to get down to 10mg at night and then weaned myself off them. After a week, I noticed the pain associated with the disc problem returned but very mildly. No other analgesia has worked AT ALL for the pain. In the early days I was risking my liver and kidneys by the amount I was taking but it was in vain.
This time, I've had to up it to 75mg a night. I've no idea if it helps but I'm not going to wean myself off it until I've seen a spine surgeon in November.

A common side effect is a dry mouth and I seem to get this. No other problems.

wiflib

CW1954

Hi
I have taken Amitriptyline for many years as pain relief for bursitis and many other aches and pains. I think it also helps my diabetic neuropathy as well. To be honest I would hate to be without it.

C

chris lowe

I've taken this for a couple of years. My GP prescribed it for my restless legs. I can honestly say they have been a life saver. After years of suffering the sensation that I had something creeping up the inside of my legs it was getting to the point that if someone had offered to amputate my legs I'd have welcomed it! I think my husband would have as well as all the twitching and moving etc was keeping his awake.They are a low dose (10mg) and I can take between 1 and 3 a night. Occasionally if the creeping starts about 9pm (always at night) I might take 2 when I go to bed. Sometimes if I wake up about three in the morning and it starts again I will take a tablet if I've only had one before bed. I've not had any side effects at all.

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been on this for "restless legs" for a couple of years taking from 10mg to 40 mg daily depending on the severity of the sensation. I would say that generally, it has helped to ease the symptoms, not cure them. As for side effects, I take a lot of other medication so I cant state anything definitive.

Regards

GeezDaw

Dislikes
Negative attitudes...
I have been on Amitriptyline (30mg) for some time now to help with pain relief in legs and feet.
No problems with it and does work for me. I additionally take Mirtazapine (30mg) for depression.

I'm also on Tramadol and Oramorph for Chronic Pancreatitis, and yes, I do often feel 'spaced out' but
the pain relief it brings, is much more welcome than the side effects.

On another note, for years I suffered with restless legs and have only just recently been prescribed
Pramipexole and can honestly report that for me, they work just great.

Still don't sleep very well but I'm an ex soldier, and it's mainly for that reason that I don't sleep so well,
but that’s a totally different subject altogether.

funge54

I was prescribed these when i moved to a different area of Swansea by a doctor who took me off Temazapam and diazepam because he thinks they would be better for me.i suffer from insomnia and am now on Zopiclone.75mg at night.Anyway what ever you do DO NOT take 5 + tablets of amitriptyline in any day as i used to take that amount and after about 2 or 3 months i was collapsing,passing out for awhile.The last time (4 years ago) i was leaving the pub to go to the bus stop and the next thing i knew was a woman looking down on me on the pavement and asking me if i was o.k.How embarrassing.I wasnt drunk,i just passed out.So avoid amitriptyline like the Plague.Hope this helps you .

Lozzybabyw

I was give this for back pain & pain clinics prescribe as it is a muscle relaxant as well. I was taken off as was great for pain & aiding my sleep but sent me cranky even on a low dose!

Persian lady

I have been given Amitriptyline to help with my depression, and to help me relax at night, so I get a better sleep. I am on 2x50mg, plus 1x 25mg, but there are some nights that nothing helps me to get to sleep. I am not depressive because of my diabetes, I have been a depressive from the age of 15, and have been put on different drugs to 'try' and see if they help.
My problem is that I can get to sleep ok, but after about 3/4 of an hour, to 2 hours, I come wide awake and have to go downstairs again. I spend most of the night sitting in a chair, catching up on tv shows, or films, that I recorded earlier, and I do doze off again, but not for very long each time. :(
I have seen a psychiatrist, he couldn't help, and a counselor, she didn't help, so my GP put me on the Amitriptyline to try and help. I have severe arthritis in so many parts of my body, it would be quicker to tell you where it isn't, I also have Gout, so I am on Dihydracodine for the pain, maximum dose of 8 in 24 hours. It doesn't really help much, as I have been on them for so long that my body has got used to it. I am on 50mg pills, and can take up to 8 in one 24 hour period but, as I said, they don't really help much. My GP said that the next step up would be something like Pethedine but, as they are so addictive, he couldn't prescribe them. Hopefully there will be some scientist who finds a pain killer that will do just that, kill the pain, and be non-addictive at the same time, but I don't hold out much hope of it being discovered before I kick the bucket!
Oh well, we all seem to have rotten health issues, and I understand now why my Gran used to say that old age doesn't come alone!!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given Amitriptyline but then I discovered that Nortriptyline is the same but without the sedative effect. I'm on other strong painkillers and other drugs that cause fatigue and the last thing I need is a sedative, so the doctor changed me to nortriptyline, much better :)

Hi, I've been on Amitriptyline at 75mg at night for Diabetic Neuropathy in my right leg for 2/3 years now (and has worked well) and recently was put on Gabapentin for neuropathy in both my hands and although my doctor said they should work together,

I ended up on 900mg three times a day and I was in terrible pain, I couldn't walk more than 50 metres without having to sit down. I stopped taking them and my leg got a lot better, I'm still having problems with both hands and am awaiting a appointment with neurologist.