Exercise and blood sugar levels

RodBallantyne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sugary foods
I have just had my 6 monthly HbA1c test and I was interested to see what the result was as my exercise regime has concentrated on cardiovascular work these past 3 months with only small amounts of resistance work. I have also been making 2 days each week a low calorie day (not starving just less calories) and the remaining 5 days normal eating which is similar to the BBC Horizon programme shown by Dr Michael Moseley in August. My exercise regime is Monday ,Wednesday, and Friday in the gym and Tuesday and Thursday at the gym doing indoor cycling. This regime consumes around 3300 calories each week.

My last HbA1c reading was 5.5% (36 mmol/ml) today it is 4.895% (30 mmol/ml). I have kept it at around 5% for 2 years by this exercise regime so this proves beyond doubt that you can get your blood sugar levels down if you work at it. As I will be 72 in a couple of months I am not some enthusiastic youngster, so if I can do it so can most people! Once I get my weight down to the levels it was when I was 40 I will stop the low calorie regime and try to maintain that weight. When I was first diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 I weighed 79kg and today I weigh 69kg, my goal is to reach 67kg.

rtee

Wow that's a real encouragement Rod. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I've only been seriously attacking my Bgs for a couple of months but I'm beginning to realise I have to up my exercise, which I find difficult. You have shown me that it will reap good results so I must do better!!

Spirit of Eden

I suppose everybody is different, but I find that resistance training has a much bigger effect on BG levels than cardio. I normally have to eat something after getting home after weights, but if I play tennis i'm more tired but no real effect on BG

walterrichmand

We all need exercise to maintain a healthy lifestyle. But this becomes a higher priority when your blood sugar levels are atypical. Aerobic activity is exercise done at a relatively medium to high level of intensity that can help lower blood sugar levels by using up glucose in the blood to fuel the exercise.