Levemir Drug Trial

pixie

Hello everyone,
i have just been selected, through my Diabetic Day Centre, to be part of a drug's trial to prove that its safe to use Levemir while pregnant (in Ireland)
Now if i take part in this there is a 50% chance that i will not even be taking the Levemir and staying on Insulatard (without my knowledge of course) plus i will be getting excellent attention, care and check-ups

i just spoke to the nurse there about making an appointment to come up and get tests done etc. but after talking to her, i am now slightly nervous about getting involved.

does anyone have any information about Levemir & pregnancy or any input or opinions about the subject in general

sugar2

Hi,
O took levimir during pregnancy, and it worked well. The only concern I have for you is that the important thing is to keep really good control of your bg, and changing insulin at any time, can lead to a period of erratic control whilst you get the levels right.

I was put on levimir 1/2 way thru my 1st pregnacy, which was not the best...although my daughter is fit and healthy and stayed on it. I had my 2nd child 6 months ago, and had a dream diabetic pregnancy. Based on my own experience, the levimir is fine during pregnancy, if it is fine when you are not pregnant. If your current regime is working for you, anur HA1c is under say, 6.5, stick with it!

pixie

thanks sugar,
i'm not pregnant at the moment. they are doing trials on diabetics who are looking to get pregnant in the near future so they can monitor before and after.
my Hba1c is 7.4% at the moment so they won't let me get pregnant until its down to 6.5% as you say
fingers crossed so!

sofaraway

are you already on insultard? my concern would be if you are already on a flat basal (lantus or levemir) then you will really notice the difference and have to make adjustments to fit the peaks of the insulin.
a colleague is currently pregnant and has swapped from lantus to levemir near the start of the pregnancy, not sure if it's an offical trial or not. she said she finds levemir more predictable and consistent.

good luck on getting your A1c down so you can start trying

pixie

i am on insultard at the moment - evening & morning
working out very well at the moment - i am at my lowest Hba1c since i got diabetes.
pretty proud of myself actually!

sugar2

Pixie,

Well done on the HBA1C,...it is great when our efforts are rewarded! For me, switchuing to levimir worked out really well, and has improved my control. Thing is, without trying it, it is hard to say how it will work for you if you know what I mean. I liked the levimir/novorapid combo, as it allowed mt to live my usual, rather unpredictable life, but it is horses for courses.If I was in your position, I would go for it...but make really sure that they are going to support you all the way, and allow you to change back if it doesn't go so well. Another thing about t is that the invreased level of care you should receive, being in a trial, might help bring the HBA1c down a bit more. Throughout both my pregnancies I saw the consultant every 2 weeks....sometime the advice was a little draconian, but all my bg readings were studued, and they helped me tweak the insulin thriughout the changes that pregnancy puts on your body. This might help with that???
Good luck!

pixie

so, i signed up for the Drug Trial and ended up being put on the Levemir.
since then my sugars have been all over the place, although the Trial Nurse reckons that this might be due to me having the flu over Christmas etc.
i'm going to give it another month or so and if my HbA1c has gone up by much then i'm dropping out and going back on insultard.