Another newbie rambling!!

jonnydub

Hello to you all!! I couldn't see a thread for newbies so I posted here.. apologies if it isn't the right place for this sort of post.

I was diagnosed with type 2 back in October and put on one tablet of Metformin straight away. Since then my medication has increased with almost each visit to my GP and i am now taking four tablets a day (2 in morning, 1 after lunch and dinner).

The only advice i have been given with respect to testing is that i should not take more than 3-5 tests a week. I really stuggled to get a picture of my readings over time with this frequency of test so in the end just bought a load of test strips on ebay and since then have been testing around 4 times a day. From reading these forums it seems that information really is the key to keeping sugar levels under control and that the blood tests are the best source of this information.

After much random testing I was very interested to read Alan S's blog. As a result i have started testing 1hr and 2hrs after each meal and I feel that i am finally starting to see the real picture of how my levels are being affected by what i am eating. After 1 hour my blood is usually around 7-8, after 2 hours usually back between 5 and 6. My only concern with this is that my doctor seems to see anything readings over 7 as a reason to increase my medication and doesn't seem to take into account when the readings were taken. This had led me in the past to just take readings when i know it will be low but in the end i will know that i'm cheating myself as well.

In terms of what i eat i am pretty good Monday to Friday lunchtime and my sugar levels reflect this. Friday and Saturday nights are the problem for me - i've more or less stopped going out as i try to avoid drinking alcoholic drinks and there's only so many soft sugar free drinks i can handle! If i stay in the lure of a bag of crisps or chocolate is too great for me (unfortunately I'm not one of those people who can just stop at 'a little bit' - if it's in the house, it's in danger of being eaten). As a result my readings tend to me pretty high at these points.. i'm not sure how much damage this does but i know this has to stop.

Hmmm.. this has turned into a bit of s long sprawling mail when all i intended to say was hello!! I guess there's nothing new here but it feels a better to know there are people out there who (i hope) are experiencing similar feelings and experiences!!

Thanks for reading - i look forward to taking part in what seems to be an active, interesting and friendly forum

Jon.

martinbuchan

Most GPs (unless the have a specific interest) wont be interested in post prandial readings. Just show him/her the premeal/fasting ones. The post prandial readings are great for building your knowledge on how different foods affect your BS. For insulin users it is a way of judging insulin dosing. Having been great for months my post prandials have been upto 8-10 last 2 weeks. I have cut down on my basal insulin myabe a bit too much too. But at least I have returned to work 2 weeks ago.

I agree with Alan S, he seems to have it really sussed.

Marty B

ChocFish

Hi Jon, welcome to the forum - I think all of us have struggled one time or another with the issues of going out and whst to drink or eat.
Just on the days that you do go out try and drink just a bit less and cut carbs right down or cut them out altogether on days you go out galavanting :) What do you drink normlly, beer has loads more carbs than wine.

Oh and naughty boy you said you cannot resist chocolates and crisps, if they are in the house...who brings temptation to your door step?? Have a masterful word with that person and ask them to stop,or at least dont buy multi-packs of everything - oh have a look in the food forum our Dennis got us all drooling there, I tried to resist as long as possible, then I gave in, for research purposes of course, ahem, well I did have my fingers crossed as I was typing this, honest - better shut up here before I get struck by a thunderbolt, slap my wrist

All the best

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Et2

Jon you are lucky to get a meter to test your blood sugar, as I'm diet control I do not get one. ok my levels are not as high as some, (fasted 6.8) but it would be nice to have some back up rather than see you in a year!! Doctor?, never seen her about my diabetes at all. This is all left to the practice nurse. She has told me to ditch all sugar apart from the occasional rich tea (bisc).
I do have a meter but that was from when I was pregnant and I use that a few times a week just to check things are ok.
It is hard not to raid the cupboard or your childs sweetie box. I have found that hot chocolate made with skimmed milk, bournville cocoa powder and a sprinkle of splenda hits the spot (occasionally)
I find it pretty hard when a friend of mine (Type 1) tests himself, finds his level is low between 3-4 and then eats a mars. It's not fair, but then I think how lucky I am that i'm not taking insulin.

Take care - Ev:)

<i>Evelyn Kidd</i>