newly told urine test question

carpstu76

hi all ive just been told my diabetic but ive since been to to the doc and in the three weeks since beening told ive lost 1.5 stone and the nurse told me to do there diastix reagent strips urine tests
and the three time ive done them they have not changed colour so am asuming their is no sugar in my urine so i dont understand what is going on please hel

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
carpstu76,
Firstly, welcome to the club no-one wants to join.
Secondly, congratulations on the weight loss.
Thirdly, the sticks will only change at over about 10 if I recall,so a bit of a blunt instrument. (modern blood testing strips may be more appropriate but that costs the NHS money!!)
Try to get some proper diabetic education and ask questions here - we don't bite (much <G>)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Have you lost the weight deliberately or is it just dropping off? I don't know all the variables of diabetes, but I think that unexplained weight loss is more a symptom of Type 1 - can someone else comment on that, please?

Unexplained weight loss is definitely not a symptom of my Type 2! If yours is unexplained, I'd ask your doctor about it.

The practice I go to does not use urine testing sticks at all because they are not accurate enough for tight control. You need to push for a meter and testing strips if you possibly can - they help you work out what food you can eat to keep your BGs under control. There are some useful comments on the forum about what arguments to use to get them - have a read around. Don't be afraid to ask questions - the only silly questions on here are mine! :wink: :lol:

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
viviennem said:
The practice I go to does not use urine testing sticks at all because they are not accurate enough for tight control. You need to push for a meter and testing strips if you possibly can - they help you work out what food you can eat to keep your BGs under control. There are some useful comments on the forum about what arguments to use to get them - have a read around. Don't be afraid to ask questions - the only silly questions on here are mine! :wink: :lol:

Viv 8)

Here is the information that Viv mentioned on presenting a case to your practice to try to persuade them to give you strips and meter:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

If asked, most manufacturers will give you free meters so that you use their strips!

Here also is some basic information for new members which might be useful for you:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

The section on Blood Glucose Supplies is also contained in this information. I hope you can get somewhere with them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Viviennem. I had unexpected weight loss at my diagnosis but still placed as a Type 2. Around 15% of Type 2s are underweight and not demonstrably insulin resistant and hence are neither Type 1 nor standard Type 2 which is why my siggie says type 1.5'ish :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks for that, Daibell. I knew some Type 2s are underweight but not that they actually lost weight! I hadn't realised that's what Type 1.5 meant, but it makes sense - non-standard.

Viv 8)

Erttu

Hi this is my first time posting so forgive any errors, I'm a newly diagnosed type2, during my Desmond course the nurses suggested we use the urine test strips to monitor my levels but my GP has told me they don't offer the strips as they cost too much and would not benefit me as I am on metformin she mentioned buying a blood measure device but again during the Desmond course we were told to avoid it until insulin dependent due to nerve damage by constantly pricking your fingers. Like most newbies I am confused and not sure what is the righting to be doing I want to reduce my bg and manage my diabetes but still lack the knowledge what I should be doing other than diet and exercise, apologies for the length of post :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Erttu, get a meter hun, I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise which is the cheapest option. But do test, how are you supposed to know which food affects you if you don't. I think they tell you not to bother testing because then you might start asking for strips. I'm a seamstress and I can't tell you how often over the many years that I have jabbed my finger sewing, I can still feel very well. Lod of balloney if you ask me.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Erttu said:
Hi this is my first time posting so forgive any errors, I'm a newly diagnosed type2, during my Desmond course the nurses suggested we use the urine test strips to monitor my levels but my GP has told me they don't offer the strips as they cost too much and would not benefit me as I am on metformin she mentioned buying a blood measure device but again during the Desmond course we were told to avoid it until insulin dependent due to nerve damage by constantly pricking your fingers. Like most newbies I am confused and not sure what is the righting to be doing I want to reduce my bg and manage my diabetes but still lack the knowledge what I should be doing other than diet and exercise, apologies for the length of post :)
Typical NHS rhetoric, If you read the forum you will see how often it comes up. Get yourself the SDcodefree they are cheap and perfectly adequate for what most of us type 2's need it for, which is to ascertain what sort of food types cause you problems and which one's are fine to eat, if like me you keep a careful log of BG readings and food you eat, test before and 2hrs after eating, you will soon discover how much Carbohydrate and food that you can tolerate. I have stopped testing on regular basis now as I now eat mostly the foods I know will not cause me any problems, I do test randomly, or if I try anything new in my diet.

Unbeliever

You are SUCH a gentleman Roy! NHS "rhetoric" ? I tend to use another word. Four letters . Begins with L ends in S and has ie in the middle - not necessariily in that order!

And I DO get strips on prescription !