Low Carb & Hair Loss

SweetHeart

Since MH's diagnosis back in February, we have been on a low carb diet. Not ultra low carb, but maybe under 50g a day. MH eats more carbs than I do, I seem to have a lower tolerance, so I usually eat between 30 and 40g a day now, but I was eating under 20g to start with. I take vitamin supplements for Hair, Skin & Nails and iron tablets for my constant anaemia, which is improving slowly owing to low carbing and increased veggie intake.

I'm pleased as punch with the weight loss - 2 stones in 7 months so not too rapid - but I'm not too chuffed at losing my hair. My hair is auburn, long and wavy, but quite fine. A hairdresser once said I had fine hair but lots of it! Then I started with hypothyroidism and started losing it. I eventually got the thyroid sorted and it all grew back. However, since June it has been falling out copiously. The doctor says it's stress induced and will grow back once the stress issues are sorted. I don't see that happening any time soon. It could be stress, it could be hormonal as I'm 46, but it could be my diet or any combination of the aforementioned. Losing my hair is also very stressful and I can see a vicious cycle starting here, especially if my depression muscles in on this.

Interestingly, MH's hairline has also thinned since low carbing. I don't know of any baldness running in his family, going back three or four generations.

Today I have been reading up on low carbing and came across this;

http://www.livestrong.com/article/46329 ... hair-loss/

So I wondered about my diet and my supplements; am I taking too many vitamins? I'm now totally confused as I then read this;

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28150 ... defined_R1

Has anyone got any opinions on this?

Ju

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Quite a few medications can have hair loss among their side-effects - including Metformin, Lisinopril, and I believe some anti-inflammatories. I have had drastic thinning on the top of my head, which was well under way before I was diabetic.

I take Vit B complex and also Zinc in the hope that they will help. Zinc cetainly helps my fingernails, which tend to be brittle and flakey when I don't take it.

I've just decided to grin and bear it - but I'm a good few years older than you so it's possibly easier for me :lol:

Viv 8)

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Sweetheart, I have had considerable thinning on top of my hair and hair loss and have posted information on this site. I didi at the time think it was due to Simvastatin because it seemed time linked and am now on a fibrate instead but I am also hypothyroid and that and Levothyroxine can cause hair loss, as can my Hypertension tablets and Ibuprofen, so I really can't do anything about it. It does cause stress and I have to low carb because of DM but I use MANE on my hair. It is a hair thickener, that once is on completely covers my thinning hair and you really can't tell, even up close. It comes in a variety of colours and isn't cheap but does last ages and it's effects to positive emotions are wonderful. If you are interested just google it, Debra x

Defren

I am still suffering severe hair loss that began when I started taking Atorvastatin. I have not taken it in well over a month, but my hair is still coming out in handfuls. I am just very, very grateful I (had) thick hair, I certainly don't now, but due to how thick it was, I do at least still have some!

SweetHeart

I was at the GPs last Thursday and, interestingly, he thinks I'm taking too much Levothyroxine. I'm on 100mg, but the GP thinks that my optimum dosage is probably about 85 to 90mg. But because the tablets go up in 25mg increments they have put me on 100g. I also have other symptoms of a thyroxine overdose such as constant diarrhea, nervousness etc. So more blood tests on the horizon....

Unfortunately, having fine hair, the thinning is really showing. It just adds to my depression and it's just a vicious cycle.

Ju

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi SweetHeart. I'm on Levothyroxine too. I've got thousands of antibodies that are attacking my thyroid, always know when its playing up because I get a raging, burning sore throat. Anyway, back to your dosage, If you think that your optimum dosage is about 85-90 then take 3.5 tablets, they break in half very easily. My dosage has increased by 12.5 μg increments.