Flu and pneumonia jabs

jayjay1963

I was diagnosed as Type 2 in April this year and am learning to manage my condition. My DSN hasn't mentioned the flu or pneumonia jabs during my appointments with her, are they recommended to all diabetics or just if you have other conditions too?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've just had mine. If your blood sugar is under control then you should not at any higher risk of illness than a non-diabetic. If your sugar is higher than the average person then perhps it's quite important to have the jab?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I used to get flu jabs because of mild asthma; now I get it because of Type 2 diabetes. Both are "at-risk" conditions and you should have them.

I think the same applies to the pneumonia jab: diabetes is an "at-risk" condition. Everyone over 65 should have one as a matter of course (NHS guidelines); I had mine at 60. That one isn't annual, it lasts for quite a while (for life?).

If I was in your position I'd ask for both.

I'm having my flu jab on Monday :D

Viv 8)

jayjay1963

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've booked a flu jab and have been told to ask about the pneumonia one when I attend my appointment.

DickM

My Nurse Practitioner always offers me the flu jab at my Oct appointment. Also qualify for it as an 'Old Git' :lol:

Fraddycat

I always just drop into the surgery and ask for my flu jab every year in October, they usually can do it there and then, or at my next nurses appt. I had mine on Friday. Never had or been offered a pnuemonia jab ... must ask next time.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my flu jab yesterday. I had Pneumonia last year so not sure about if I should ask for the jab this year.

MaryJ

I received a letter from the doctors last week offering it as i am now in the 'at risk' group

Mary x

TUI

lucylocket61 said:
I had my flu jab yesterday. I had Pneumonia last year so not sure about if I should ask for the jab this year.

My husband is covered by the pneumonia jab but still has to have the flu every year. I had a letter sent as new diabetic not on drugs and went yesterday.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my pneumonia jab this morning, did not feel a thing, but now going to bed my arm aches like hell, right where it was done. :(

Bakamasu

I have type 2 diabetes but also other health issues and I have flu jab annually. I had pneumonia jab a few years ago and was under the impression it was a one off! I will check when I go for my checkup next week.

A

Anonymous

Bakamasu said:
I have type 2 diabetes but also other health issues and I have flu jab annually. I had pneumonia jab a few years ago and was under the impression it was a one off! I will check when I go for my checkup next week.

Ive just had my flu jab, i got my pneumonia jab last year and was told it was a one off too

Cowboyjim

Dutifully went along like nursey told me I should... not much fun but only result was feeling sore on that arm that night, OK now tho.
It still troubles me what a game of Russian Roulette it is tho... despite their reassurances. It does not zero the risk and can in some few cases cause adverse reactions, and then this week one company withdrew its supply due "testing issues" whatever that means... if you search the web there are as many for's and againsts as there are for taking statins.
This is another one of those times I am reminded what a curse DM is.
And I still am perplexed why the health pro's don't all get it... I know it aint free for them but... it does nothing to reassure my always troubled mind... 8)

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm having the flu jab next week, get it at work, have it every year. Had a letter and lots of texts from my GP surgery inviting me to clinics but they're always in the middle of the day when I'm at work!
Never been offered the pneumonia jab.