testing help

PregnantKate

Im currently testing my BG 5-6 times a day as recommended for me.

Trouble is, Ive been told to do this from my finger tips.

My fingers are now getting mighty sore!! Can I test with blood from anywhere else??!!!

Im using a one touch easy ultra machine.

Katharine

There are other devices/meters that you can use for alternative site testing.

I know the Abbott Freestyle series can be used for this and I know there is at least one other one but I can't remember what it is.

I have a one touch ultra, an accucheck and an ascencia contour and it's NOT one of them.

The other places you can use are other parts of your fingers, your palms, your forearms and your thighs.

My son tried alternative site testing but preferred fingers. To prevent "burger fingers" change the lancet regularly eg daily to twice a week (before you feel it getting blunt). Another thing to do is to rotate the testing site between your fingers so one poor wee finger doesn't get all the damage.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have a "One Touch Ultra" which comes with a transparent end for use with other sites, particularly the forearm. When I use my arm, it bruises, so I always use the fingers.

PM Hanadr who tests on her arm.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
I find side of finger tips are easiest to get blood out of, tried top of forearm a few times but failed a few tests coz couldnt get enough blood out.

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Yeah, I always use my fingers but try to alternate fingers, hands and even which side of my finger I use too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have a Freestyle Mini and haven't tested on my fngers in about 18 months. they got too sore. I now always test on the inside of a forearm. the pain sensors are anout 1cm apart there, so I can often test without feeling it at all. Rarely I have hit a sensor, and it was sore and just occasionally I hit a tiny blood vessel and get a bruise, but overall, it's painless and I test a maximum of 2x per day T2

willogs

I have only been diagnosed for 2 years in total but found that at first my fingers were really sore but this has eased, the skin must be getting tougher. I try to change my lancet regulary and have it set on a low setting so it does not stab my finger to hard. If my fingers are sore I try and use a hand cream overnight.

Trinkwasser

PregnantKate said:

My fingers are now getting mighty sore!! Can I test with blood from anywhere else??!!!

Some One Touch users get an Accuchek not to use but to obtain the finger stabber which is generally regarded as superior.

I tend to use the sides of my fingers near the end, for other ideas

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ricks.html

PregnantKate

Thank you all :)

I change my lancet everytime I test. So Im using 5 lancets a day. I couldnt bare to use the same one twice... dont ask why lol

Natalie

I know several people that test their toes and according to my nurse you can test your earlobes too, don't know if this is true but that's what I was told!

Natalie x

l0vaduck

PregnantKate said:

5-6 times a day means that if you use both sides of each finger, each site gets three days' rest before it's used again - are you using all available fingers?

I test at least 9 times a day and although my fingers sometimes get a little sore I find that as long as I'm systematic about using one hand one day and the other the next, it's bearable.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
rotation is highly advisable when it comes to finger stabbing!

if I forget and do the same one (the same patch) twice in a row then I really know about and get scabby skin ;)

as to lancets, I test maybe 4 times a day (dependant where I'm working that day) and I tend to make one last 6-8 stabs (so 1.5 - 2 days) - less often and it gets blunt and you then need to have it go deeper (ouch) more often just seems a waste.

my monitor came with the transparent forearm adapter but I'm too wussy to use it!

also, I try to warm my hands before testing; I get quite cold extremities and if I don't warm them first, I have to squeeeeeeeze to get a drop of blood or restab - which is not funny ;)

all the best, J/x

willogs

I was told not to use my thumb or fore finger to test as they could get infected and without the use of them you would struggle, anyone else told this?

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I only used my thumb once ... let's say it hurt so d*mn much that I don't intend to use it again (and my DH pointed out you have strong pulse points in your thumb so maybe not clever) and I rarely use my first finger because the skin in too thick - so three fingers on either hand (although playing guitar I try not to use my left hand unless my other fingers REALLY hurt) so I guess it's actually just the three fingers on my right hand I use lol ... but that's not under advisement :) just personal experience :)

xxx

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Kate,
I don't use the same lancet twice, when I wash my hands before testing, I soak my fingers in the hot water,I find doing this helps the blood flow and I can reduce the depth of the finger pricker.

Graham