Started Byetta yesterday and .........

thepominlaw

Started Byetta yesterday and .........well nothing really.

Was expecting sickness, bloated feeling and worse but to be honest apart from the needle going in i wouldnt have a clue i have started anything new. Am I lucky or will it take time for the "spit" to kick in.

One thing i have noticed is my blood meter has not gone above 8 today :D , normally it sits around 15 -25.

I am T2 and take 3 x 500 metformin 4 x 80 gliclaside daily. Now with the Byetta i was expecting for feel well ill.

Is this normal

Natalie

When I took it I felt v.nauseous for several hours after the injection, even after the first one, but I think it's different for everyone: some people probably don't feel anything, others probably feel really ill, some feel bad straightaway, others after a while and some never at all...hopefully you're one of the lucky "feel fine" ones :D

Natalie x

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first started I noticed the nausea about 2 hours after injecting, 6 days on and the nausea is still present but I understand that the nausea affects women more than men, I don't know if that applies to you or not.

Perhaps you will be one of the lucky few not to experience any side effects, great news on your sugars coming down. :)

thepominlaw

how do you know if you are injecting it correcty? Nurse gave me script but all i have to go on is manual that came with pen. no idea how to do it other than what it says in there.

i have 12mm needle i presume they are correct length?

John

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi John and welcome to the lizard spit users club!

Sounds like you may have got away with the nausea - if you are going to suffer then it tends to be pretty immediate. As you are on gliclazide as well as Byetta you will need to keep a very close eye on your sugar levels. Gliclazide works by forcing the pancreas to produce insulin, regardless of whether it is needed or not. Your pancreas will only stop insulin production once the gliclazide wears off (usually at around 4-6 hours). Byetta also triggers your pancreas to produce insulin - so you could end up over-producing insulin, with resultant hypos.

When patients who are already on gliclazide (or any of the other sulphonylurea meds) are put on Byetta, the first thing their doctors usually do is to reduce the gliclazide dose (usually by half). As the Byetta gets to work and your blood sugar levels fall, you should find that you will need less and less gliclazide and will probably be able to come off it completely within the next 6 months. If your doctor hasn't reduced your gliclazide dose then perhaps you should question why not, because you are currently getting a double hit of insulin.

The Byetta user guide leaflet is pretty good so if you are following their instructions then you are doing it properly. There is also a very good website http://www.byetta.com that has more information that you might find useful.

12mm is the longest needle you can get. As you know, you have to inject below the fat layer so if you are very obese then it should be ok. Most people use the 8mm needles. But whichever length you have make sure they are 31 gauge - these are the finest gauge and are painless to inject. Some of the larger gauge needles feel like you are injecting with a rusty drainpipe!!

Let us know how you get on - and please keep a watch for hypos.

thepominlaw

Thanks for the info Dennis, diabetic nurse did say she will reduce Gliclazide gradually but to begin with keep it at normal levels. Must say i am impressed highest reading so far 7.8 today no higher than 6. Maybe the spit is just what i needed.

Anyone know the situation with Byetta and driving do i need to tell the DVLA (from there website I summased that I dont as i only drive a type 1 car) what about my insurance company?

John

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi John,
That's a relief - your surgery does seem to be on the ball - but still keep a watch for hypos.

DVLA are only interested in byetta if you have a group 2 licence. See this link:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/medical/Treatmen ... atide.aspx

If you are a car driver then they don't need to know. But it is a good idea to check on the DVLA website occasionally because they have changed their minds about byetta 3 times this year alone.

If your insurance company already knows that you are diabetic then you don't need to advise them about your medication unless you become insulin-dependent. If you haven't told the insurers about your diabetes then you must do so as soon as possible. In 99% of cases they don't do anything except make a note on your record. But if they don't know that you are diabetic and you were to have an accident of any kind, regardless of who is at fault, then they can refuse to cover you on the basis that you have witheld information that might have influenced their decision over whether to insure you. You don't want to give them a get-out clause!