Type 1 In SERIOUS Trouble

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
honey, as the others have said, you need to try & overcome this fear. I suffered a similar problem 2 years ago...went from a size 16 to a 4 inside 2 years...I ended up in ITU for a week & 3 months of hospital admissions. I'm left with kidney failure, painful neuropathy, stomach & bladder problems, restless legs and a who number of other problems that are only going to get worse...

I beg you not to carry on making the same mistakes, I'm 42, you're only 18...please try and get yourself better...

Esther1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Calling Officer Biggles!
Just seen your post and my heart goes out to you. I was diagnosed type 1 around eighteen months ago and whilst getting myself sorted out and understanding the illness my thoughts were contantly with your group (teenagers - as if that in itself isn't enough!!) It is bad news for everyone but the babies have their parents devoted help and us oldies well supposedly we're more sensible! But when i cast my mind back to my teenage years I wonder how I would have coped - so difficult for you honey, but cope you must!!!!
My advice would be to take one day at a time and see what you can acheive, if u screw up and I'm 46 and still do - then just start again. And keep a log of your testing and your insulin that you have taken. You can get a specially designed log book for this purpose, I know that you say that you are not organised enough for this but it will really help and if you miss bits just start again and again and again - you will get there. Would love to hear how your getting on...let us know and try to keep positive and smiling - your only eighteen once!!
Sending love to you honey
Esther x

jagger38

I just wondered if you had considered a insulin pump. I have been on one for nearly 2 years, you don't need to inject, just change the cannula every 3 days. There is no pain involved, and you can adjust it, to suit your lifestyle. It can take a bit of work to start with, but you would reap the benefits very quickly. If you would like to know more, please do not hesitate :) to pm me. Hope you feel better soon x.

glenmoray

I feel for you having a needle phobia.try injecting your insulin into your stomach as I find this area causes the least pain. Or ask to be put onto a insulin pump as with this you only have to insert a needle every 3 days I believe. A insulin pump will only give you insulin if you sugar levels go above a set number. Diabetes has to be kept under control otherwise you could loose your eyesight, go into kidney failure or loose your legs. I've been a diabetic since 1977 and since then have manged to live my life as close to normal as possible. Keep your sugar level around 6.0 mmol look after your feet and go and have your eyes photographed once a year.I hope you can sort yourself out.looking after your diabetes takes a few minutes to test your sugar levels and inject yourself.If you have no record what your sugar levels are get a testing machine which logs all your tests you do on it.I take a print out the clinic of all my blood sugars.Good luck. Look after yourself!