Chia Seeds

TUI

xyzzy said:
Bit of a weird one this. We recently did a slow cooker meal effectively a load of mince, veg and chia seeds that we calculated would end up around 12g of carbs per portion. MW cooked it as she had to go out and we had my three sons arriving for dinner so it was a nice easy thing to prepare. Anyway the effect on mine and my T1 sons BG's was dramatic. For that amount of carbs I was expecting a reading of less than 5.5 after two hours but was in the high 7's. I was still high 7's 4 hours later. My T1 son ended up injecting an extra 40 units of insulin to cover. I haven't yet confirmed it but suspect cooking the hell out of chia seeds in a slow cooker for hours does something!

This is an eye opener xyzx and something to be aware of with winter dinners coming up, I must admit I have always put mine on food raw and last thing

Defren

I am pleased you have shared this Steve. I'm like TUI I add mine raw and at the last minute and I really do think after your experience, it's a wise move for all of us who use Chia seeds.

The more I use and learn about these little seeds the more impressed I become. I have them mostly with Greek yogurt and berries which always includes blueberries, as they are another power house of goodness. I also have flax, and this makes probably one of the most nutritious meals around, and it tastes so good. Hate fasting days when I can't have it. :thumbdown: However, I love the fasting results I am getting, so have to just have my yogurt, berries, flax and chia seeds five days rather than 4.

Fraddycat

Hi Defren, I haven't really fallen in love with chia seeds unfortunately. I tried them in yoghurt with flax and raspberries but didn't really enjoy it - maybe I'll give it another go. I added them to my morning shake - made me gag (although I did manage to go 5 hours between brekkie and lunch today on only a shake and chia seeds.

I will keep persisting - they were expensive :!: but I am not sure I would buy them again.

TUI

Autumns here and I'm back on porridge oats instead of yoghurt and berries, I have to admit I prefer the white seeds in yoghurt and porridge but use the black in everything else. I have the porridge with tsp milled flax with added ground sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a tsp chia, fresh blueberries and soya light milk. Everything is on a downward trend, blood pressure, weight and blood sugars (still not good but dropping slowly) so I will continue. I also started on the cinnamon a couple of weeks ago.

Defren

Yay TUI.. I am really pleased for you. I know patience is not easy when you are really eager to see your levels drop, but they will. I am looking at alternatives for my yogurt, berries, flax and chia. I am lucky, I was out shopping today, and my local greengrocer had all my berries (yay) so I have them for a few more days at least. I tell you what I also really like. I stew a little bit of rhubarb with 2g of splenda and add that to the yogurt, flax and chia and it flippin' lovely.

ZoriWser

Chia Seeds are very important and good to use for the health and fitness. Here are some benefits of the chia seeds.
1. One tablespoon of chia seeds contains 5 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, 2282 mg of Omega 3 and 752 mg of Omega 6 fatty acid.
2. chia seeds are excellent for maintaining regularity.
3. These helps to normalize the glucose level in the blood.
4. This fiber content also helps normalize blood glucose levels by slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.

[link removed]

Eva9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd never heard of chia seeds until I found this forum. Now I'm seeing the word everywhere. 2 new breads that I've spotted contain them - Brennans an Irish bakery and Burgen. I've only seen it with linseed and flax (?) before. Its about 15 carbs a slice. I'm trying to cut down on bread so only have 1 slice at lunchtime.

TUI

Defren said:
Yay TUI.. I am really pleased for you. I know patience is not easy when you are really eager to see your levels drop, but they will. I am looking at alternatives for my yogurt, berries, flax and chia. I am lucky, I was out shopping today, and my local greengrocer had all my berries (yay) so I have them for a few more days at least. I tell you what I also really like. I stew a little bit of rhubarb with 2g of splenda and add that to the yogurt, flax and chia and it flippin' lovely.

I will keep trying, I like the rhubard idea, will try it this weekend

Reactions: Angengray

singsteve

the difference is marginal. great source of nutrition can be used in most dishes. good argument to soak them first but not absolutely necessary. as with all high fibre foods, increase fluid intake accordingly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is rather an old thread, but interesting to see how cooking can alter reactions.
I add chia seed to the low carb jelly with frozen berries I make, as they soak up the juice which makes puddles in the bottom of the bowl otherwise.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy chia seeds in milk, chilled in the fridge. When done and stirred it is almost like a tapioca pudding. I add double cream and fruits of the forest.

Reactions: Greenwave

Angengray

Hello I'm Angela. New to type two and scared of eating lots of things. I was eating overnight oats every morning but when I tested my sugars spiked to 14 for at least 3 hours and was then advised that oats are grains and diabeticd shouldn't eat grains. Totally confused any advice appreciated :)
I will keep trying, I like the rhubard idea, will try it this weekend

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people seem to manage porridge, others do not - there is quite a range of tolerances amongst type twos, which is why it is a good idea to have a meter to see how foods affect you.
Personally I had eggs and tomato for breakfast, there was cheese but I did not eat it - just not very hungry these days.
I keep under 40 gm of carbs per day as I know that will keep me from a high Hba1c, some people manage many more, some with exercise to help.