Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't recall being told :think:

simply_h

HI there,

I was given the bad news from a fasting test of (morning) of 7.1mmol and an Hba1C of 6.6%.

To make 100% sure they then gave me a GGT, which was boaderline..

But the doctor and nusrse decided that I was diabetic from my HbA1c and Fasting results.

They then put me on the following drugs:
Metaformin
Satins
Blood Pressure one (sorry can't remember the name).

Which I told them I was not going to take any of there drugs (my choice and only mine).

Found this forum, stated low carbing, dropped my body fat to around 15% from 24% (via exersise) and asking many many questions and now HbA1c is 5.7% and falling, Blood Pressure is very normal, only issues is T.C, which is high, but that dont worry me.

Theres my story.

Cheers
S
Simply.

Fraddycat

Hi Geemikey, what do you mean by BM levels? Happy to help but want to be sure I am telling you the right thing :)

Fraddycat

Hello again, you should be able to see in my signature my HBA1C levels since diagnosis. I am due my next test on Monday, I am quite excited to see the results as I have completely changed my diet since the last test. I am now low carbing (following the low carb high fat diet) and doing much more exercise. I went spinning for the first time last night, I am sure this is a medieval torture that has been reinvented for the twenty first century!

Since July I have lost 1 and a half stone and I am really hoping this is reflected in my next HBA1C.

Nice to meet you Geemikey

Geemikey

You too Fraddycat :) was just wondering is it good for you having a high fat diet..? Thought they would tell you to have as little fat as possible...my last hba1c was below 10 which was the lowest it has been since i was diagnosed :)

Fraddycat

well see that's what they tell you in the Health Care profession, but many of us believe they have got this wrong. A lot of people on this forum have a LCHF diet and have very effectively reduced their weight, their BG and their blood pressure, me included. It is a lifetime commitment though, if I went back to eating carbs like flour, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes I would increase my risk of diabetes complications, probably put on weight and raise my blood pressure again.

The theory is if you reduce your carbohydrate intake, which your body quickly converts to sugar, then you have to replace that with protein and fat otherwise you starve :).

Have a look at this website and I recommend you read 'Gary Taubes - Why we get fat'

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
there are loads of people out there, notably healthcare professionals who think that BM stands for something highly technical about blood glucose levels, IT DOES'NT! It stands for Boehringer Mannheim, the name of the first company to make a drop test strip. The original strips were read by eye colour maching to patches on the pack.
You put the blood drop on, wiped, waited and read the result.It was as adcurate as your colour vision. Howeveer, you could split then vertically to double or triple your supply.
We used to buy them through my brother's veterinary practice and I would sit patienly with a pair of sharp scissors, tripling them. they ended up being under 2 mm wide! But still worked
Boehringer Mannheim discontinued those original strips in about 2002
Hana

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Geemikey i did too! my sugar levels were 26mmol on arriving to hospital! Never want to be back there again.