How can I reduce my hba1c for pregnancy planning?

nmb264

Hello,
I'm finding it quite difficult to reduce my hba1c. It's currently 8.2 % and I just feel trying to reduce it to 6 will be impossible. Has anyone else been in the same position. I've made a massive effort over the last 3 months but don't think it will have reduce much. I also suffer from the dawm phenomenan which doesn't help.
Any similar stories or ideas would be great. Thanks

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
nmb264 wrote
I'm finding it quite difficult to reduce my hba1c

nmb264 is a T1, so I will let any T1s out there share their success stories

Geoff (T2)

shop

nmb264 said:
Hello,
I'm finding it quite difficult to reduce my hba1c. It's currently 8.2 % and I just feel trying to reduce it to 6 will be impossible. Has anyone else been in the same position. I've made a massive effort over the last 3 months but don't think it will have reduce much. I also suffer from the dawm phenomenan which doesn't help.
Any similar stories or ideas would be great. Thanks

Hi,

I am not planning a pregnancy but am having the beginnings of success with carb counting ( Last HBA1C 7.7 from 8 ), with the help of my DSN and Dietician, I always have a small snack b4 bed 1/ it prevents night time hypos and 2/ it prevents a liver dump ( I think thats what you mean by Dawn Phenomenan ) Also an expert meter which is enabling me to have more specific insulin to carb ratios and also being able to adjust them more easily. I have a 1/2 dose pen too which again makes for more accurate doses. ( am reducing ratios at the moment as am loosing weight, I have just had my thyroxine reduced as I was on too much.) Speak with your team and ask anything to help you I am sure they would look at .

Good luck and best wishes,

Lucy xxx

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not planning pregnancy either ;) but I'd been stuck in the mid to high sevens for the last five years (before that I had been in the eights and nines). Then earlier this year I tried reducing carbs (from over 300/day to around 100ish) and dropped from HbA1c of 7.4 to 6.1 :D it's not the only way but it seems to be working for me. I also get rising BG from the moment I wake up (perfect sugars during the night and the rest of the day) so I just bolus for it. Good luck.

nmb264

Thanks Lucy. I have to say carb counting is the way forward and I'm seeing the results IF I stick to it tightly. My dawm phenomenan is a pain though because I wake up 9 and an hour later I'm 15. I'm slowly managing It by having to take insulin even if I'm not eating.
Lucy do you find it hard to try new foods etc because you know what your norm is. I know I do, for lunch example I've tried to stick to the same breads and soup as I kno what my bg does.

nmb264

I bolus also. Took a while to work that out though! Might look at the reducing carbs. I've never had perfect control but pregnancy or not I really want my hba1c down.

shop

robert72 said:
I'm not planning pregnancy either ;) but I'd been stuck in the mid to high sevens for the last five years (before that I had been in the eights and nines). Then earlier this year I tried reducing carbs (from over 300/day to around 100ish) and dropped from HbA1c of 7.4 to 6.1 :D it's not the only way but it seems to be working for me. I also get rising BG from the moment I wake up (perfect sugars during the night and the rest of the day) so I just bolus for it. Good luck.

:D

shop

nmb264 said:
Thanks Lucy. I have to say carb counting is the way forward and I'm seeing the results IF I stick to it tightly. My dawm phenomenan is a pain though because I wake up 9 and an hour later I'm 15. I'm slowly managing It by having to take insulin even if I'm not eating.
Lucy do you find it hard to try new foods etc because you know what your norm is. I know I do, for lunch example I've tried to stick to the same breads and soup as I kno what my bg does.

Do you always have bfast?.....I would try to have breakfast just so that it keeps you level.

I had a similar situation a while back.... Was taking my little boy to a party so did bg before we left 6.7 :D so took hypo kit and an apple as I thought I would either stay static or go low. No hypo but we left a little later than expected due to a high volume of cars leaving etc. When I did by bg b4 having tea it had gone up to 11.4 !!!! All I had done at the party was have a cuppa and chat!...........When I asked my DSN he said he couldnt figure out why either and just move on. I asked could I have gone low not noticed and then had a liver dump. He didnt think so. So all I had to do was forget it. I do mainly tend to stick with the usuals but have started to be a little more adventurous. Guess thats the only way to learn. Its different though if you are trying to reduce A1c in prep for a baby. I am getting more confident at eating out and testing/injecting in front of people. I have forund that once your ratios are right and the calcs etc are right its better. The expert meter has made a big difference as my ratios are so specific. Do you have a DSN who could help you :)

Lucy xxx

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Hi there and welcome to the diabetes.co.uk forum. There's a whole ton of others here ready to share their tips on reducing Hba1c :thumbup:

nmb264

shop said:
nmb264 said:

Do you always have bfast?.....I would try to have breakfast just so that it keeps you level.

I had a similar situation a while back.... Was taking my little boy to a party so did bg before we left 6.7 :D so took hypo kit and an apple as I thought I would either stay static or go low. No hypo but we left a little later than expected due to a high volume of cars leaving etc. When I did by bg b4 having tea it had gone up to 11.4 !!!! All I had done at the party was have a cuppa and chat!...........When I asked my DSN he said he couldnt figure out why either and just move on. I asked could I have gone low not noticed and then had a liver dump. He didnt think so. So all I had to do was forget it. I do mainly tend to stick with the usuals but have started to be a little more adventurous. Guess thats the only way to learn. Its different though if you are trying to reduce A1c in prep for a baby. I am getting more confident at eating out and testing/injecting in front of people. I have forund that once your ratios are right and the calcs etc are right its better. The expert meter has made a big difference as my ratios are so specific. Do you have a DSN who could help you :)

Lucy xxx

Yeah I've got a great DSN but I find it really is trial and error. I have always had breakfast but used to have it when I got into work etc but when I started monitoring more that's when I noticed having bf when I got up helped by BGs stay ok. But now I go swimming before work so exercising is another thing that's putting it all too pot! Thanks for your feedback.

shop

nmb264 said:
shop said:
nmb264 said:

Lucy xxx

Yeah I've got a great DSN but I find it really is trial and error. I have always had breakfast but used to have it when I got into work etc but when I started monitoring more that's when I noticed having bf when I got up helped by BGs stay ok. But now I go swimming before work so exercising is another thing that's putting it all too pot! Thanks for your feedback.

Hi again, I really would ask re an expert meter ( ask your DSN you are planning a pregnancy so I should think they would help you ) as it has an excercise function built in which allows you reduce your bolus by so many percent and you can alter it to suit you. May days are so varied and I am now having physio on my legs so this has prooved invaluable. Trial and error is always the case but having the 1/2 dose pen and expert meter makes calculating the dose so much more accurate which seems to have been a crucial factor in improving my Blood Glucose. Good luck and keep us informed

Lucy xxx

agold

Hi.
I'm in exactly the same position and have the same issues with my levels: dawn phenomenon and also insulin resistance before and during my period! My levels are also very sensitive to stress. My last Hba1c was also around 8 despite a lot of effort and carb counting/insulin adjustment which I've been doing for a good couple of years. I know how you feel, it's so frustrating and demotivating and having a family just seems like it's getting further and further away, meanwhile I'm getting older and older!
I've just started on a trial on a pump and feel like I might be gettin somewhere, certainly fewer lows anyway. It will be interesting to see my next A1c at the end of the trial to see if it's improved. I'm afraid I don't hold much hope for below 6.5 tho! I do wonder how people do it....

shop

agold said:
Hi.
I'm in exactly the same position and have the same issues with my levels: dawn phenomenon and also insulin resistance before and during my period! My levels are also very sensitive to stress. My last Hba1c was also around 8 despite a lot of effort and carb counting/insulin adjustment which I've been doing for a good couple of years. I know how you feel, it's so frustrating and demotivating and having a family just seems like it's getting further and further away, meanwhile I'm getting older and older!
I've just started on a trial on a pump and feel like I might be gettin somewhere, certainly fewer lows anyway. It will be interesting to see my next A1c at the end of the trial to see if it's improved. I'm afraid I don't hold much hope for below 6.5 tho! I do wonder how people do it....

It must be very frustrating as I know how it can be a struggle and havingf the added presure of wanting to get it right to try for a baby. I have tried soooo hard and just got my A1C down from 8 and above to 7.7, and I am still trying. I know that from the outside looking in it must seem like a doddle after all you just take insulin!!! Not always that straight forward for everyone though is it. I really hope both of you are able to get help to reach your goals and enjoy a happy healthy pregnancy and baby,

Best wishes,

Lucy xxx

nmb264

So glad to hear someone is in the same boat that can relate to it. My husband is great but just doesn't see how hard it is. I love my food but I'm really starting to restrictive myself from eating outwit breakfast lunch and dinner cos I'm fed up of the random readings. The target range really feels impossible and I hate being negative about it but it's how I feel just now and I'd hate to just throw in the towel.

nmb264

I've managed to reduce my hba1c from 8.6 to 7.8 which is a great achievement and was quite steady. My next target is 7.2%. :D

McMittens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dropping carbs can definitely help. My OH has recently started the Atkins diet and I've dropped off carbs from when we eat dinner and have noticed lower results after dinner/before bed - I'm also looking to reduce, like you for pregnancy planning :)

I have been trying to get my HBA1c lower for YEARS to try for a baby.
When real life kicks in the theory behind diabetes control just goes out of the window.
However, I got an insulin pump and managed to reduce my HBA 1c from 9.3% to 6.4% in a year, for me this was amazing. It was a lot of hard work but these are some of the things that I did that may help you:

Weekly contact with my nurse, emailing my readings and getting advice on where to make adjustments
Stuck to no more than 50g carbs per meal (tried low carbing but was advised that when pregnant would need carbs)
Did DAFNE course
Posted lots of questions to forums to get advice on things

They are just a few things, it was not easy but I did notice that after about a month of constant monitoring, weighing and adjusting things seemed to settle and it became easier and almost routine.

Remember that targets set are for "most of the time" not all of the time, we are not robots and we can never get things absolutely perfect.

I got pregnant but very sadly miscarried which was a shock after working so hard on my diabetes, I was so caught up in my control that it never entered my head that things could go wrong anyway without being connected to my diabetes. Since my miscarriage I have gone onto autopilot and lost control again, my last HBA1c was 7.4% but I am trying hard now to tighten that and also to conceive again.

The emotional side is equally as hard and I would suggest talking your frustrations over with other ladies in the same position as you can be left feeling very alone.

It is hard work but it can be done and if I can do it I am certain that you can!

Don't give up!