Just been diagnosed need help pls

johnipswich

Hi all I am 36 yr old guy, just been told I am diabetic but not as yet what type and have an appointment to see GP on Friday. My test results where 10.9 fasting and 7.5% HbA1c. What does this mean. should I get a glucose tester and test before visiting GP or wait and see what is said?

Thanks in advance for your information

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
johnipswich said:
Hi all I am 36 yr old guy, just been told I am diabetic but not as yet what type and have an appointment to see GP on Friday. My test results where 10.9 fasting and 7.5% HbA1c. What does this mean. should I get a glucose tester and test before visiting GP or wait and see what is said?

Get yourself a Codefree meter from Amazon and a box of extra test strips which cost around £7 for 50. There are plenty of meters on the market but the test strips are around £25 for 50. Big difference.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi John and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like as there is always someone here who can help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

MaryJ

Hi John

Welcome to the forum.

I'd do as Grace say's and get cracking with the meter, although as you have an appt soon I suppose you would wait to see if your GP lets you have a meter and strips on prescription (unfortunately not many of T2's get them)

Just a teeny adaption to Grace's great advice - re the trying to be <7 2 hours after food. That's quite a tough target at this early stage.

The NICE guidelines are to be <8.5 2 hours after food. Many of us here prefer to be <7.8 as that's the recognised point where complications can begin (over time). What you actually aim for is a personal decision.

Mary x

Defren

johnipswich said:

Hello John and welcome to the forum. Your HbA1c gives an average reading of BG for the last three months, with emphasis on the last month. 7.5 means your average BG level was around 10.6mmol/l this is rather high, and needs to be reduced.

Which type you are will determine what course of action you need to follow as well as what treatment. Your age is a bit young for the average T2 diagnosis, but that doesn't mean your are not T2. It can occur at any age, I read recently of a nine year old child being diagnosed T2 which is highly unusual. Lets assume for now you are T2. Firstly, no matter your type you need a meter. Some GP's will prescribe them and strips, but it's rare. Strips are very expensive, so the best meter is the SD Codefree, as the strips are far and away the cheapest. You can buy the meter and strips on E-bay or Amazon.

Diet is the next thing. While it's obvious you must reduce sugar, carbohydrates are the real food group to watch. When carbs hit your blood stream they convert into glucose. The best thing to do is cut out all white carbs, bread, pasta, rice, potato's and wheat/flour based items. Test with small new potato's, basmatti rice, tri coloured pasta and Burgen Soya and linseed bread, they are better choices, but you may find you have to cut out all starchy high carb foods. I do, I am very carb intolerant. Try by setting yourself a target for say 150g of carbs a day, if your BG is still high, reduce the amount and keep testing, you will soon learn what you can and can't tolerate. The best thing to do is test before your meal then again two hours after your meal. NICE guidelines suggest you should be under 7.8 but many of us choose to work toward getting under that figure as much as possible.

The other advice I would offer is to try to rid yourself of the dogma fat is bad. Good healthy fats like butter, olive oil and the fat on meat, will keep you feeling fuller for longer, and stop the need for snacking between meals. Many of us have found with a low carb high (good) fat diet our levels come down nicely as does out cholesterol and weight. Losing weight if you are overweight will also help you.

I know this all seems rather a lot to take in at the moment, but it quickly becomes much easier, as you get into the swing of things. As questions, as many and as often as you like, that is the way to get yourself in control, and feel much better about all of this.

Take care.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
MaryJ said:
Hi John

Welcome to the forum.

I'd do as Grace say's and get cracking with the meter, although as you have an appt soon I suppose you would wait to see if your GP lets you have a meter and strips on prescription (unfortunately not many of T2's get them)

Just a teeny adaption to Grace's great advice - re the trying to be <7 2 hours after food. That's quite a tough target at this early stage.

The NICE guidelines are to be <8.5 2 hours after food. Many of us here prefer to be <7.8 as that's the recognised point where complications can begin (over time). What you actually aim for is a personal decision.

Mary x

Thanks for the adaptation Mary, I'm a hard taskmaster :wink: but you're right it is tough trying to aim for 7 postprandial. Still learning as I go. I'm aiming for a nice 5.6 postprandial - hope I'll get there someday soon. :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Completely agree with all the other posters John. Cutting down on the carbs is the key to all of this. Like Mary says when you first start out you may find it difficult to get less than 8 two hours after eating. If that's the case test before you eat and take note of the number. Next test 2 hours later and aim to get the two numbers roughly the same. If your two hour readings end up near enough the same as the pre eating ones then you should see a gradual day by day improvement. If you are still spiking badly then you need to cut down some more on the rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, cereal and other flour based stuff and up your meat, cheese, eggs and especially green veg. It took me around 6 to 8 weeks to stabilize my levels so that they were always under 8 so it can take a while.

You may find you doc and subsequent diabetic nurse are very very anti to you testing your own levels and will give you a whole range of rubbish reasons why as a T2 you shouldn't test. The honest response the majority of members will tell you is to ignore them. Testing and seeing first hand what foods you can tolerate and what ones you can't is the quickest and most effective way of getting the condition under control.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Grazer

Totally agree with all others. Eat, then test, then adjust carb levels. Next meal, do it all over again. Keep careful notes of every test result together with what you ate, what exercise you did and when you did it.Eventually, you won't need to test much at all, as you'll know how all different foods affect you, and you'll always be able to hit target (MAX 7.8 at two hours, I aim for less than 6, but it takes a while to get there and I still muck up sometimes!) At that stage, you'll test now and again when trying different foods, or different eating times, or different exercise regimes. In other words when you change something. I also test just now and again anyway to make sure things aren't progressing.

johnipswich

Many thanks for all your advice. I have now got a meter, the iPad Glucodock. I tested last night before my evening meal my 1st reading was 6.8 good so far but 2 hrs after low carb meal was 12.2 and ths morning as soon as I got up was 12.6!! I can't work this out unless I got a duff 1st reading that is!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
The high readings in the morning are called dawn phenomenon. As you gradually begin to get things under control they will start to reduce. The fact they are high is showing you that your levels have probably been running high for quite some time.

Evening time just before your main meal is likely to be when you are at your lowest level. As I said in my previous post it can take weeks to reduce your levels back to safety. It took me around 6 to 8 weeks on very low carb regime for things to get back to normal so your readings aren't that surprising.

You are quite young to develop T2 at 36. Without wishing to be rude do you need to lose weight?

Why not post the kind of things you are eating as you will get loads of helpful feedback from people.

johnipswich

Well I have been to see the nurse today and put immediately on Metformin. This to help with bg levels and weight loss, although don't need to loose to much. Hopefully no bad side affects from this drug and ask been given test strips for my Glucodock tester.

What should I expect from the Metformin? I am to take one a day for a week and increase the dose over 3 weeks to 3 a day at evening meal time.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I've been on Metformin since August and had no problem with them whatsoever. I began exactly like you with one a day increasing over 3 weeks to 3 a day. Then when I'd been taking 3 a day for about a week my GP changed me to Metformin SR (Slow Release) one a day, then increased me to 2 a day after a month. I'm still fine on them. No gastric problems whatsoever like some people have experienced. I take 2000mg a day now with my evening meal, always WITH food, never on an empty stomach.

I'm also on LCHF eating regime and I'm losing weight slowly at about 1-1.5 lb a week, but now I have some energy again I'm starting to exercise more so hopefully will start losing weight a bit faster.

If you do have any gastric probs with your Metformin, contact your GP and ask for the Metformin SR instead. Good luck. :)

Defren

johnipswich said:
Well I have been to see the nurse today and put immediately on Metformin. This to help with bg levels and weight loss, although don't need to loose to much. Hopefully no bad side affects from this drug and ask been given test strips for my Glucodock tester.

What should I expect from the Metformin? I am to take one a day for a week and increase the dose over 3 weeks to 3 a day at evening meal time.

As GraceK has said, build it up slowly. Some people have a bad reaction initially, others not so bad. My reaction to Metformin was to completely lose my appetite, I then did 8 weeks of the Newcastle Diet, and when I had finished that my appetite was fine. I don't eat breakfast, so always take my morning dose on an empty stomach, but most people are more sensible than me. :oops:

You will be fine, Metformin is a very safe drug, and it is said to offer some cardio vascular protection as well, so don't worry. If you find you are struggling with tummy issues, ask your GP to change you to the SR version, they seem to be kinder to people who struggle with the bog standard version. It will only reduce your spikes around 1-2mmol/l so you wont see miracles, those are up to you! :D

Good luck.