Problems using Paradigm Infusion Quick Set

albannach2

Hi All
I got my pump last Thursday (a Medtronic 722) thank goodness. Its been a bit up and down since then I have to say but think I've now sussed it, only thing Im having problems with though are the Paradigm Quick Sets. Ive had to replace them in quick succession a couple of times, this morning was a fine example when my BG was 29.1, weird as I was 7.5 when I went to bed. Does anyone have any tips on using the Paradigm, wondered if its perhaps coming out through the night? Advice much appreciated as I don't want to be 29 again! Thanks

bonerp

you sure its not just ur basal rates wrong? It will take weeks to get a good rate.

when you take a suspect set out, squirt a bit of insulin through to see if its blocked. Are you priming properly so some comes out before you stick it in you?

also change sites, some are very slow to absorb the insulin.

finally try basal testing. Dont eat for 12 hours and see what your BGs are. If high you'll need to increase the basal profile.

albannach2

Hi to both responders
Thanks for info, hadn't realised it would take weeks to get doses right :cry:
Yep am making sure there's insulin coming out after I change a set, but even though I'm doing correction doses etc to get it down, it aint working :)
So peed off though as yesterday I had the perfect day with pretty much great bg's and then this happens, mmm I have been warned it seems. I'll take on board all your suggestions as you're the experts in this field.

Cheers

albannach2

BTW, you mention Paul that insulin is often slow being absorbed from some places, assume its the same as it was with MDI ?

bonerp

yep. I have a slow bit on my love handles lol. Flesh seems to be a bit thicker there on me and dont have good results if I jab into that.

Also if you have a 29.1, dont expect everything to get back to normal in an hour or so. If I have a high one it can take half a day to settle down again.

Dont become despondent (sp?), you'll get there. Ive been pumping for 10 months - just changed insulin and feel sometimes that I'm back to square one!

albannach2

Hi, looks like I need the patience of a saint by what you guys are telling me ..... mmmm, oh well its so good to get support and know that its not just you that is having or have had problems. Am going to try the "no eating for 12 hours" to see if its the basal rate that is wrong as a start, although levels back down to where I would expect them to be this evening, all very strange ... but worth persevering with as I know it'll be worth it. BTW, know what you mean about the old love handles, but wondered if legs would be better than stomach, any ideas?

albannach2

Hi, thanks again for info.
Not injected in legs recently as stomach was so much easier but may give it a go, spose if you don't try it out, you never know do you.
BTW, thanks for the tip on contacting the pump manufacturer - a good one, having some samples sent and funnily enough they're offering more choices than hospital, but spose its all to do with cost I guess, we shall see. Tomorrow is another day (thankfully) ... :)

miss e j

Hi,
I'm also a recent pumper (4 months) and have tried all the sets medtronic make. the one I would never try again is Quick Set - I had many, many failures and bent cannulas - they just didn't suit me, and as Sarah said, many people have problems with them.

If trying a silhouette, I recommend hand-insertion - much less painful than using the serter.

I currently use Sof-sets, which in 2 months has only failed once. They are teflon and 90 degrees, like the Quick set, but they detach in a different way, and you need to use a tegaderm patch over it - which is its only down side for me, although i don't have really bad reactions to the glue (thank god).

How are you getting on with the others you've been sent?

emily

albannach2

Hi, thanks for responses. Interestingly I've tried the 6mm quick set and it works ok, thank goodness as couldnt cope with the manual insertion technique, am sure you get used to it, but as my hands were shaking trying to put the first one in, I kind of knew it wasn't going to improve :) However 6mm working ok so far

mjm

Hi Albannach,
Have you tested your night time basals? I used to get this problem until I discovered that my basal requirements dropped drastically for the early hours of the morning, i.e. from midnight to 5am. When I reduced my basals for that period the problem was sorted. So increasing your basal might not be a good idea. Check out your night time basals again before you do any adjustments. All the best. - Mike

albannach2

Hi,thanks for your response. However I've moved onto the Silhouette since then as was having real problems with the insulin being absorped properly. Although have to say I am finding it hard to find a "good spot" for insulin absorption, must keep practicising :)

diabetesgame

my daughter just went on the paradigm and we are all over the place right now, but they told us it would take a while to get it all going in the right direction,
kelly :shock:

albannach2

HI Kelly
Apols, not been on the forum for a while, how is it going with your paradigm, is it getting any easier for you? I have to say I've had the pump for three months now and things going really well, except for the fact I find it hard to find a good place to put the cannula, plus Im getting marked like hell, far worse than injections. Has anyone got any advice on this? Regards, Sally

loliver1

I am recently on a pump and have had several problems including going into dka and being in hospital for the first time in 10 years of being a diabetic! this may have been caused with not reconnecting properly after having a shower and not noticing. have changed from quick set to the sure t but after a day and bs starting to go high I noticed that the inserter was becoming detached!!!! anyone else had this?

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently moved to sure-Ts and have had no issues with it becoming detached, if anything I find the connection is too secure! This may sound like a silly question but are you sure you're clicking it in properly? You should hear a loud click. The other thing is maybe it's a dodgy batch, medtronic are usually very reliable so it maybe worth speaking to them and find out if there are any issues, they may want you to return the set to them to investigate. The only Issue I have found with them is that the adhesive does not survive swimming 2 days in a row!