Today's Low Carb Baking

test_positive

Here's a picture of today's low carb baking. I'm feeling rather proud of myself and both the pizza and blueberry/lemon cake taste delicious. 'Normal' flour replaced by - ground almond, coconut flour, gluten flour & ground golden linseed. Following in the footsteps of WhitbyJet and Sid Bonkers. And no spike to my BG. Thanks guys! :clap:

P.S. Took a while to work out how to upload the picture. So that's another achievement today. Just keeps coming! :D

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,086

test_positive

Here's the recipe off another thread "Breakfast Loaf":

400g ground almonds
50g coconut flour
5 to 10g Splenda type sweetener (to taste) [I used 5g]
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
grated zest of 1 large lemon

110g butter, melted
4 eggs beaten
100ml double cream
juice of 1 large lemon
½ tsp lemon oil (optional)

100g fresh or frozen blueberries

50g flaked almonds for the top

Put all the dry ingredients (except flaked almonds) into a large bowl. Whisk all of the wet ingredients (but not the lemon juice) together. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. When well mixed, stir in the lemon juice and mix again. Gently stir in the berries. Empty into tin. Cover with the flaked almonds.

Bake at 160c, Gas 3, 325f for an hour or until a fine skewer comes out clean.

5g carbs per slice.

test_positive

I should add that it's quite a large cake. Which is good because I can't stop the rest of the family from eating it!

And it's delicious with double cream. :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
test positive
do you have any suggestions for replacing coconut flour?
I'm not a really fussy eater, but I loathe coconut.
Hana

test_positive

hanadr said:
test positive
do you have any suggestions for replacing coconut flour?
I'm not a really fussy eater, but I loathe coconut.
Hana

There is so little coconut flour, I wonder if it would be fine without it. It's 50g compared with 400g ground almond (i.e. 1/8th). Perhaps try it with 450g ground almond?
The other thing I've come across is 'gluten flour' which is what I use in my pizzas. That is relatively low carb as I understand it. perhaps that's an option.

Regards, TP

elainechi

i think you are all wonderfull....even before my daughter was diabetic i have never made cakes or biscuits...infact i have kids who would refused to eat birthday cake even......they both are devils for crisps olives and bead though so have to keep bread in the freezer cos they.re too lazy to defrost a slice!!!!!

test_positive

elainechi said:
....even before my daughter was diabetic i have never made cakes or biscuits...infact i have kids who would refused to eat birthday cake even......they both are devils for crisps olives and bead though so have to keep bread in the freezer cos they.re too lazy to defrost a slice!!!!!
My next challenge is to see if I can turn this into a birthday cake for myself! I am wondering if I can make icing somehow with Splenda. Need to have a go.

The other thing I noticed is that the cake is quite crumbly. Not a problem with the taste at all but makes it a little difficult to slice. I wonder if the cocunut flour helps to keep it more together some how.

Believe me, I'm no cook! :lol: But this damned disease has given me some challenges that I'm trying to enjoy overcoming.