Does anyone get recurrent thrush? - Anonymous Question

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Re: [Anon Question] Recurrent Thrush?

Hello

Thrush in both men and women can be caused by your blood sugars running too high in fact reoccurring thrush is a symptom to look out for if you suspect you maybe diabetic. A lot of forum members suffered from thrush prior to diagnosis and found it disappeared once they got their levels under control.

Hope that helps.

shop

Hi there,

Also bear in mind that even if you get it cleared up, men don't always have obvious symptoms so if there is a partner, a partner may need treating too. A relative of mine kept getting reoccuring thrush ( non diabetic .) and wondered why it kept coming back it turned out that her husband had it too and because he was not being treated for it, kept giving it back to her :oops:

Hope you get it sorted.

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would totally back up what xyzzy said.

Prior to diagnosis in March I had thrush all the time, one infection would clear and the next one would start a day later.

Since going on Metformin and changing my diet it has not recurred.

Caterham

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I had thrush as a male constantly at diagnosis until I got my blood sugar down. The only solution is to get your sugars below 10'ish mmol so that no sugar is dumped in the urine

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Live yoghurt can help, both eaten and applied to the affected area - all those friendly bacteria! :wink:

Viv 8)

Elc1112

One of the many joys of being diabetic! Stress also seems to be a major contributor for me. See your GP and they will probably prescribe a longer course of treatment to try and resolve things for you. Keeping your sugars down will really help prevent future attacks. Hope you get it sorted soon!

Take care, Em

Bart_40

Dislikes
diabetes
Anonymous Question said:
Anonymous question submitted:

I keep getting thrush at least once every week and a half, is there anything that I can do to try and prevent it please?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html

Hi there

Indeed as said below by Elc, one of the many joys of being diabetic! My first year after being diagnosed was having recurring continuous thrush. Very depressing :thumbdown: Canesten 1mg didn't help anymore after a while, my GP referred me to the sex clinic where I got Canesten 3mg with cortisone in it. That cream does wonders :thumbup: I also ordered anti-thrush tablets from Amazon, they help as well and eat your daily yoghurt indeed. But most of all, the nurse changed my dose of tablets and my blood sugars got better, thrush gone! I hardly ever get it again, it's sort of your personal glucometer that tells you things should level up inside .... :mrgreen:

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
I am waiting diagnosis on what type of diabetes I have, I can tell you at the moment I am getting thrush a lot of the time and my GP indicated that it is common for diabetics who have high sugar in their urine and blood. It was also indicated to me that when I start treatment and my blood sugar is more under control that these episodes will lessen. I am using Canestan 3% to treat my thrush which seems to be working.

All the best

Simon aka Cobra3164

Defren

Cobra3164 said:
I am waiting diagnosis on what type of diabetes I have, I can tell you at the moment I am getting thrush a lot of the time and my GP indicated that it is common for diabetics who have high sugar in their urine and blood. It was also indicated to me that when I start treatment and my blood sugar is more under control that these episodes will lessen. I am using Canestan 3% to treat my thrush which seems to be working.

All the best

Simon aka Cobra3164

Hello Cobra, welcome to the forum. While I have been very blessed and never had thrush, I have read about it many times here. Your GP is spot on, once your BG starts to fall, the bacteria will have nothing to feed on and your thrush should be a thing of the past.

Good luck - Jo

chrissyp

Dislikes
offensive people !!
I`m -apparently- NOT a Type 1 ,I merely inject Insulin !!

It`s my first post I think on here - not a techy creature.

I have had horrendous thrush for about a year now - as long as my diabetes has become uncontrolled.Therefore I have to believe the link between diabetes and thrush/sugars/carbs.Makes sense - yeast thrives in warmth and humidity.

Canestan eventually did not work for me but my G.P. has given me a cream -Gyno-Pevaryl which DOES work.I would urge people to go to their G.P. and not self medicate.

I come from an Insulin Dependant family - so have history - but my diagnosis is fairly recent despite me begging my ex G.P. to test my bloods.

I was doing really well but seem to have lost control again :cry: so am off to read the carbs thread.

I wish hospitals would issue - as they used to - pre printed diet sheets for people until they stabilise !!! :thumbup: