GAD and officially type 1

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I started off the Gestational Diabetes and was a big Question mark as to weather i was diabetic before pregnancy as, at 6 weeks post pregnancy GTT looked like type 2 and within a week or 2 my levels had spiked and was told looked like type 1 and started back on insulin. Well today i got my GAD results 15,000 impressive i am told :crazy:
Last few months have been a roller coaster and now i have a proper diagnosis but it doesn't really help if anything has left me feeling really down, people are trying to help and keep saying well least you know now but that doesn't help how i feel. oh well i have daily injections and testing to look forward to now :thumbdown:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Sorry to hear your news. I hope that we can support you in your new journey.

Take care

Doug

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi there

Next month will be a year since I got my letter telling me I was anti-GAD positive.

It's not been easy with all the management and injections etc, but I was pretty ill last year whilst the medics took several months trying to figure me out. I feel much better now overall with having some 'injectable help'.

Please feel to PM me anytime :D

joeyhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I was only in sep told I have type 1 late onset being 42. What a shock that was, Iam now waiting for the gad antibodies results to come back, but the consultant told me i'm a text book case type 1. Am still getting to grips with the reality of what a life changer it can be, but am getting there. So I understand your feelings about this.

I haven't taken any meds yet either and have just been eating a really low carb diet to level bs out whilst I've dealt with a bereavement. Now I have to pluck up the courage to go back to the hossie and get on some injections I think as I have been preoccupied with matters of emotion, and one thing at a time is enough for me. Theres been no panic tho, bs down in the 7s to 9s just on diet and no ketones either (eventually) from fbs of 19.7 and ketones off the scale.

The Dr I saw at the practice is an idiot, he told me to carry on eating as I was and just take metformin (I took 1), especially eat pasta and spuds, then when I asked for a ketone test he refused. Gross medical negligence if you ask me.

I know 2 people with type 1 and have kind of known they have had ups and downs with it, but am glad not had to deal with it as a teenager cos that would be even harder I'm sure, and with the right positivity can turn it into a positive for your health by watching what you eat and regular or even any exercise, and I think of all the foods I will now discover that I may not have ever found by just sticking to the restricted high carb diet we are led to believe is normal. I believe my addiction to carbs is getting easier to handle as other foods actually taste nicer and the texture of carbs now seem stodgy to me.

All the best everybody, only 10 weeks to christmas.