Nuts!

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi everyone

Another food question I think I am becoming obsessed with food. :evil: If low carbing assume nuts and seeds are Ok but which ones? Take it salted peanuts are out but what about sunflower seeds and are there any nuts that taste similar to salted peanuts but that are better for you??

Thanks for your help

Chris

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Not all nuts are low carb. not all nuts are even nuts, some are seeds. Some nuts are low carb, they include macadamias,brazils and walnuts. Pecans are higher and peanuts ( non nuts) are quite high at about 12%. You need to get a set of tables

zanc

Well I snack all day on nuts Hazelnuts, Brazils & Walnuts. What I have noticed is that by blood sugars seem to drop when I nibble on nuts during the day. Why, I don't know, but it may be that I then don't eat as much in the evening.

My favourites are hazelnuts, and they appear to be one of the lowest in carbs. They also have plenty of fiber which compensates the omelets I often have in the morning.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Carb Content of Nuts (US website)

Please Note: all carbohydrate values are approximate
Nuts (serving size 1/2 cup)
Carbs (g)
Almonds, dried
9g
Brazil nuts
9g
Cashew nuts, dry roasted
22g
Hazelnuts (3oz)
5g
Peanuts, roasted (3oz)
10g
Pecans, dry roasted (1oz)
6g
Pistachio nuts, dry roasted
16g
Walnuts
8g

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Accept the mighty Macadamia into your life,Chris! 4.8g carb per 100g and a totally top nut.

All the best,

fergus

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi Fergus

Have done as suggested and indeed got and enjoyed some macadamias - top advice, thanks
Regards
Chris

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Thanks for the advice folks. I love nuts but one question....what are macadamia nuts like? Stupid question I know but I've never tasted them before. 8) :?

Tigerhair

Macadamias are crunchie-ish then creamy as you chew... I love them. They have a subtle flavour which is gentler than some of the walnuts or hazelnuts of the world - which can be sour sometimes.

Buying nuts which have been packaged up for Christmas is often a better deal (and better nuts) than normal.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
and if you so desire you CAN buy macadamias which have been salt roasted - so as long as you don't over imbibe on the salt front, they are just as delicious as the more traditional nuts - in fact, I have been totally converted!

xxx

miss e j

The nut values posted by Sue are really useful - but as they're from a US website, I just wnated to check that the values are net carbs ie minus the fibre, or inclusive of fibre, in which case it needs to be subtracted. they look quite high to me, but maybe I've been kidding myself about the carb content of nuts!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Pecans are almost as low carb as Macadamias, but with a less satisfying texture. They're almost as expensive though.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
pine nuts are also really low carb, albeit really fiddly to eat, they are tasty (unsalted too for those looking out for salt contents)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hopefully this will help!

Attachments

• Alan0033a.jpg
    Alan0033a.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 664

caroluk

I have bought some mac nuts too fromreading the good things about them on here! They are indeed yummy.

One question my cholesteral was 6.5 and i am now reducing carbs not exactly low carb but getting there! Are macadamia nuts going to be okay for me in light of my cholesteral as they are very high in fat?

Are they best eaten at a particular time of day - with meals or just okay to snack on when needed.

Carol xx

Trinkwasser

caroluk said:
One question my cholesteral was 6.5 and i am now reducing carbs not exactly low carb but getting there! Are macadamia nuts going to be okay for me in light of my cholesteral as they are very high in fat?

The dangerous cholesterol is actually manufactured from carbs. In the absence of excess carbs and hence high trigs, fats are more likely to raise your HDL (good). LDL may also increase on a low carb diet but is more likely to be large fluffy molecules rather than the dangerous VLDL.

It would be really really useful if they binned the Total Cholesterol test and used the Full Lipid Panel instead, the ratio of trigs/HDL is indicative of both insulin resistance and cardiovascular risk and is well worth attempting to manipulate in a positive direction, however accountants don't want your doctors using this.