When is too much fat bad

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I've been reading Loren Cordain's updated paleo diet book. He thinks we should watch out for too much salt, and not eat too much saturated fat. I'm not sure if they are a big problem or not. what is the concensus.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Much as I respect him, as the "father of Paleo", Cordain's view on fat and salt is different from most of the Paleo community. He has supposed to haved changed his view on saturated fat, but I know that this isn't reflected in the latest edition of his book.

Most Paleoers think that he was kowtowing to the "mainstream" in not wanting to endorse sat fat. I think that he was scared that people would do "80% Paleo" and get themsleves into trouble by eating lots of fat without really dumping the carbs. If you eat a whole animal, you get lots of saturated fats. I suspect that animal fats (which are only partly saturated) are probably better for you than dairy fats (which are not really Paleo).

I don't have a view on salt, I don't think that there is strong evidence that links it to blood pressure, and I'm not someone that has ever put extra salt onto their food. I think that you're probably much better have natural "sea salts" than mass produced manufactured salts, but I've never really thought about it. It isn't one of the core Paleo prescriptions.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
In answer to your question: I think that too much fat is only bad if you eat too many carbs with it.

I think that you should get between 5 to 20% of your energy from carbs (the lower end of the scale is for diabetics and the metabolically deranges), about 15% from protein, which leaves about 65 to 85% from fat.

Unbeliever

borofergie said:
In answer to your question: I think that too much fat is only bad if you eat too many carbs with it.

I think that you should get between 5 to 20% of your energy from carbs (the lower end of the scale is for diabetics and the metabolically deranges), about 15% from protein, which leaves about 65 to 85% from fat.

Love that "metabolically deranged" Borofergie! I would use it to describe myself but fear hat people might just jump on the "deranged" bit! :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unbeliever said:
borofergie said:

Love that "metabolically deranged" Borofergie! I would use it to describe myself but fear hat people might just jump on the "deranged" bit! :)

Wasn't going to say a word Unbeliever ;)

Defren

With low carbs I think your body will tell you how much is too much. I think you can only eat so much before you simply can't eat anything else. Have a high carb, high fat diet, you're going to be in trouble.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
It's difficult to see what he is exactly getting at, as he sways away from dairy products inferring to the renal acid load on our kidneys, which he claims causes osteo porosis ? and seem to be saying from what I can see balance your fats between monounsaturated and saturated, I think as a diabetic some of the paleo diet works but not the fruit bit and plenty of veg, being all veg. I try to stay clear of the starchy ones. Still trying to get my head round this cookie! The Human body is an amazing bit of kit when you think about it, all the chemical exchanges just to nourish you, you can see why when it goes pear shaped it causes havoc.