Type 2 diabetes Uni research!!!

Jodie24

Hi, I would greatly appreciate some help with my research project for Uni! It involved filling in a short questionnaire which I can send to you via email, taking between 5-10 mins! Please help, I hope to study type 2 diabetes much further and need research to be able to do this. Thank you

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Glad to help send me it via pm or link.
Fergus :thumbup:

paragliderpete

Hi jodie. Perhaps you could give us a bit more information about what you are doing. You say that you have a questionaire and then state in your post that you are wanting to study Diabetes. A bit more information about the qualification, university and yourself might generate a more positive response.

Jodie24

Hi! I'm 21 and in my last year at University. The questionnaire forms a part of my research project into foods labelled as 'suitable for diabetics' and the connection with the nutrient, chromium! Chromium plays an important role in the management of type 2 diabetes and the questionnaire is designed to test your knowledge about this nutrient and what you think about foods labelled 'suitable for diabetics' My aim is to do a postgraduate course once I graduate studying 'diabetes management' at the same University, hence why I am researching whether foods labelled as 'suitable for diabetics' are effective in the management of diabetic symptoms! Any more questions, feel free to ask :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Please pm your link or Q.

I fear that your question shows today's false thinking about diabetes - & probably many other conditions:
"Can we control our condition by by eating special foods/pills etc, while continuing a life-style that may be contributing to that condition?"

The question should be something like:
"What am I eating/doing that aggravates my condition?"

If you have had a good look at this forum, you will have learnt that the primary control method for diabetes is carbohydrate reduction. That is a method that rejects the diet advice we are given by the NHS & Diabetes UK.

Your future research should include the effects of diet.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Jodie,

Please send me the questionaire. Via pm.

Bernie :wink: :wink:

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Jodie, sure I'll help, send it to me via Private Message

Jodie24

Questionnaire

Background information
1) Please select your age from the options below;
18-30
31-40
41-50
50-60
60+
Do not wish to specify

2) Please select you gender from the options below;
Male
Female
Do not wish to specify

3) Please state your ethnic group from the options below;
White British
Irish
Indian
Pakistani
Other (Please specify) …………………………………………

4) Please select your highest educational level from the options below;
No education
Primary education
Secondary education
University
Other (Please specify) .............................

5) Are you currently employed?
Yes
No

6) Do you currently suffer from type 2 diabetes?
Yes
No
7) Do you have a family history of diabetes?
Yes, type 1 diabetes
Yes, type 2 diabetes
No
Do not wish to specify

8) Do you currently suffer from high blood pressure?
Yes
No
Unsure

9) In the past have you ever supplemented your diet with vitamin C?
Yes
No

10) If yes, what dose and how often did you take the vitamin C supplement?
...........................................................................................................

Diabetic confectionery

Foods labelled as ‘suitable for diabetics’ are known as functional foods (European Comission, 2010). These foods are advertised to be suitable for the diabetic public.

11) Have you previously purchased any food item labelled ‘suitable for diabetics’ and/or ‘diabetic friendly’?
Yes
No

12) If yes, how often would you purchase these items?
Daily
Weekly
Occasionally
As a treat
Rarely

13) If no, then please specific why not?
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

14) Do you think a wide range of foods labelled as ‘suitable for diabetics’ are available in supermarkets/retail environments?
Yes
No
Unsure

15) What do you feel is the key nutritional message portrayed by supermarkets when advertising special diabetic food products?
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

16) On a scale of 1-10 rate how important you think nutrition is in the management of type 2 diabetes (1 being not important and 10 being very important)?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
not important very important

17) Do you think that enough information highlighting the effect of nutrition in the management of type 2 diabetes is presented in the UK?
Yes
No

18) Do you believe that special diabetic confectionary prove benefical for diabetic consumers?
Yes
No
Unsure

19) Do you believe that that special diabetic confectionary should play a bigger role in a diabetics diet?
Yes
No

20) Using your existing knowledge, circle/highlight either true or false concerning the following statements concerning confectionary labelled ‘suitable for diabetics’’;

True / false Diabetic products normally exclude the sugar, fructose
True / false Diabetic products tend to cost more than conventional products
True / false Diabetic products are essential in a diabetics diet
True / false Excessive consumption of diabtic food may cause laxative effects
True / false Diabetic products contain less fat than convertional products

Chromium
Chromium in the trivalent form is a micronutrient needed in small quantities ,with supporting evidence to suggest that this nutrient modulates blood glucose levels and insulin functioning.
Chromium is present in certain foods and is sold as a single-ingredient supplement.

21) Do you currently take chromium in supplement form?
Yes
No
If no, move to question 24

22) What dose of chromium supplement do you take, as a single tablet?
.........................................................................................................

23) How often do you take this supplement?
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Rarely
Other (please specify) ....................................................

24) On a scale of 1-10 how much information do you think is being portrayed on the important of chromium in the diet?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Very litte A lot

25) On a rating on 1-10 (1 being not important and 10 being very important) how would you rate the importance of dietary chromium in your diet? (circle/highlight appropite answer)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Not important very important

26) Although dietary chromium has no DRV (Dietary Reference Value), do you know on average how much chromium, in mg, you should be consuming daily?
Yes
No

27) Using your existing knowledge, can you place the following foods in order of their chromium content (1 being the lowest quantity of chromium and 5 being the highest)
3 ounces processed turkey ham

1 medium apple with skin

1 medium banana

3 ounces cooked beef

Half a cup (average 37g) broccoli

28) Do you think more information should be available expressing the importance of chromium in the diet?
Yes
No
Unsure

29) Using your existing knowledge, circle/highlight either true or false for the following statements concerning chromium;

True / false Trivalent chromium is poorly absorbed in the body
True / false High chromium diets maintain normal blood sugar levels
True / false Vitamin C decreases the absorption of chromium in the body
True / false Men require more chromium than womens per day
True / false Chromium supplementation can increase body weight
True / false Chromium is an essential micronutrient

Thank you for taking the time to complete this questionnaire, your participation is greatly appreciated

AlanC

Regarding the questionnaire:
1. Some questions should have a "don't know" option, eg #16.
2. People who answer the questionnaire through this website do not form a representative sample. The great majority of diabetics are not a member of this forum, and could well be less knowledgeable than forum-members. So you cannot say anything about what diabetics in general know or believe.