Newcastle Diet now 10 days in!

nobiwan

Hi
I've been diagnosed t2 for 19 months now and although told not to by my diabetic nurse Ive decided to do the Newcastle Diet. Reading different post Ive choosen tesco meal replacement shakes 200cals per shake 3 times a day and 250 grams of veg. After a week my bg levels in the morning are 4.0-4.5 and now below 6 2 hours after food, should I stop taking gliclazide now?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Those following the Newcastle diet can usually reduce or stop medications for diabetes. If you are not taking as much carbohydrate into your system than you will not need as much insulin and gliclazide causes insulin to be produced. If you do not keep an eye on your meds you could start having hypos. Despite ignoring the advice of the diabetic nurse, you might want to engage him/her on the medication issue!

Regards

Doug

MaryJ

nobiwan

Sounds like you are having some great results with the ND

Agree with doug re the meds. Because you are doing so well with the diet the risk of hypo's is now there, so a discussion re reducing/removing the glic needs to happen.

Personally I'd call that a RESULT!

well done

Mary x

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After a week my bg levels in the morning are 4.0-4.5 and now below 6 2 hours after food

Victory is yours!!! Well done!

alanno1

Congrats to you,
iam type 2 and i have been on a diet for 3 months my bs is always 4.2 in the morning and never goes above 6 all day the docs took me off glicazide and i have lost 3.5 stone i also run 2 miles in the morning and cycle 12.5 miles everyday
was just wondering wot meal replacement exactly u been using as i want to try it

nobiwan

Hi and thanks (hope it lasts!)
So last thursday was my 2nd week gone doing the diet and I stopped taking glicazide as they were taking me too low (2.5!) now waking to 4s every morning and no higher than 6.1 after meals. I have been using both atkins shakes and tesco slimming shakes along with the 250grams of veg each day no exercise other than working 13+ hours a day most of which is on my feet!

rtee

I've just received a consignment of shakes ready to start so your post is a great encouragement to get on with it!
Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

nobiwan

Thanks Mary! Good luck with the diet rtee! nearly 3 weeks down for me (it has its hard moments when food starts talking to you!) good news is the shakes taste very good Im hooked on atkins choc but all so far have been nice, its not been as hard as I thought but im still a long way to go!

alanno1

iam using whet protein shakes replacing lunch and having a salad / healthy meal for tea but i have noticed my bs is raising up to 6,8 2 hours after my shake
has any1 else experienced this ? any1 know why ? wot can i do bout it ? or is it ok ?

Defren

alanno1 said:
iam using whet protein shakes replacing lunch and having a salad / healthy meal for tea but i have noticed my bs is raising up to 6,8 2 hours after my shake
has any1 else experienced this ? any1 know why ? wot can i do bout it ? or is it ok ?

I did the ND earlier this year (my diary is on the weight loss forum). I have decided to do it again, but with a slight twist. I only have around 18-19lbs to lose to be at my goal weight, and I lost 50lb doing the ND, so this time I am doing a week of all shakes, then a week of very, very low carb probably all veg with a little fruit. I started it yesterday. When I did it first time, I used Atkins shakes at 3g of carbs per shake. This time I bought Slim and save as there is more variety. I quit last night! My BG is never higher than 6 was 7.3. I ordered some Atkins shakes, and plan on one S&S shake, and two Atkins shakes a day, that will be 19g of carbs per day opposed to 39g on S&S alone. I would do all Atkins, but they only do two flavours in the powder, and it gets where you don't want the shakes, so the S&S will take my carbs up a bit, but for the variety, it's just one of those things.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm convinced that the NC diet is beneficial because you are essentially EMPTYING your stomach of all solid food over a period. I am still surprised that we get such good (great in some cases) fasting numbers on the NC based in the amount of SUGAR (not carbs!) in the shakes!

I have a little theory that I'll be testing soon:

NC diet for 4 weeks - that should empty my stomach out nicely.

Peleo/V(V!)LC diet - keep the BG down by not eating foods that impact it.

Intermitent fasting - MAYBE 5:2. This should give my body a chance to empty out the stomach - kind of re-setting back to teh post NC status. It's obvious to me that BG's are more easily regulated when there is less food in the system.

POSSIBLY (really not sure about this...) low(er) fat (but still not necessarily lo-fat! :wink: ) on the days prior to fasting. I MAY try this - simply because fat is digested slower than anything else, and the thought of food in my stomach that has fat in it for the duration of the fast seems a bit counter productive.......

Also - I may try doing the NC for 1 week out of 4 (or 8) - again - to try to re-set to the post NC status.

Defren

Patch said:
I'm convinced that the NC diet is beneficial because you are essentially EMPTYING your stomach of all solid food over a period. I am still surprised that we get such good (great in some cases) fasting numbers on the NC based in the amount of SUGAR (not carbs!) in the shakes!

I have a little theory that I'll be testing soon:

NC diet for 4 weeks - that should empty my stomach out nicely.

Peleo/V(V!)LC diet - keep the BG down by not eating foods that impact it.

Intermitent fasting - MAYBE 5:2. This should give my body a chance to empty out the stomach - kind of re-setting back to teh post NC status. It's obvious to me that BG's are more easily regulated when there is less food in the system.

POSSIBLY (really not sure about this...) low(er) fat (but still not necessarily lo-fat! :wink: ) on the days prior to fasting. I MAY try this - simply because fat is digested slower than anything else, and the thought of food in my stomach that has fat in it for the duration of the fast seems a bit counter productive.......

Also - I may try doing the NC for 1 week out of 4 (or 8) - again - to try to re-set to the post NC status.

The ND rids the organs of visceral fat so allows them to work better. I agree that a liquid only diet does allow your system chance to 'recharge'. The bulk of the beneficial work of the ND is done in the first four weeks, that is when the organs are defatted.

I found 5:2 fasting actually more difficult than the ND and I saw little if any benefit, then I read an article that suggests the 5:2 fast works much more effectively on men than woman. I finished the ND feeling better than I had in years, I dropped around 50lb but that wasn't the main reason I felt so much better, I think for the first time my body could actually work as it was meant to.

The paleo diet rocks! I do primal as I do have cream and Greek yogurt daily and I aint giving that up. :lol:

Let me know how you get on Patch, I am such a huge fan of the ND and I know it works. It's something you have to be dedicated to do, but once you start it does get easier.

Jo

nobiwan

3 weeks gone now and Im feeling much better than I have since being diabetic, I have decided that I prefure the Atkins shakes and so will mainly use them for the rest of the diet.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good on ya, nobiwan. I'm glad you've found something that is of benefit to you!

nobiwan

Thanks Patch!
I've done 4 weeks now and Ive never felt thinner! This last week has been the hardest as the lovely foods that I cook for work have been winking at me! But Im feeling really good and now wake every morning to 3.8-4 mmol reads so Im well happy about that, although im getting alot of negative comments from other type 2s I meet all saying Im waisting my time (not sure how!!) and it doesnt work (it is so far!) well we will see I suppose, I will keep posting just to let anyone interested what becomes of me!

In my last post I said that I prefure the Atkins shakes over the tescos well I planned on sticking to them but when I went to boots to restock they'd put the price up so £4 sounding better than £15 tesco shakes have won!