Am I addicted to Testing?

Sassco

Since I was put on insulin 5 weeks ago, I find that I'm testing my levels so much more. My GP said to do a fasting one in the morning then before & 2 hrs after a meal (of my choice) & then before bed. He said this is to monitor first couple of months. However I'm testing between 6 & 8 times a day. Am I being neurotic? Dr gave me prescription for 100 strips & I've gone through almost half. I didn't do this before my insulin (used to test about 2-3 times a week). Is this normal at the beginning of taking insulin?

A

Anonymous

you will find you will ease up on testing, i been t1 for 37 yrs and it does very on how much I test, sometimes I will use up to 400 test strips a month and other time I will only use bare min of 150 strips a month remember that if you are taking insulin and drive then you need to test each time you drive and every 2 hrs if on a long trip. If you find you BG is slimmer in the normal range at certain times of the day then ease these test up and do them every other day, :think:

Sassco

Hi Pump994 thanks for your advice. I've been T2 for 8 years and I've never tested before I drive. Should I be?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sassco said:
Since I was put on insulin 5 weeks ago, I find that I'm testing my levels so much more. My GP said to do a fasting one in the morning then before & 2 hrs after a meal (of my choice) & then before bed. He said this is to monitor first couple of months. However I'm testing between 6 & 8 times a day. Am I being neurotic? Dr gave me prescription for 100 strips & I've gone through almost half. I didn't do this before my insulin (used to test about 2-3 times a week). Is this normal at the beginning of taking insulin?

6-8 times a day looks perfectly fine especially as you have just started insulin :thumbup:

Sassco

Thanks Noblehead I was really beginning to think I was going OTT with the testing. I can stop worrying.