inaccurate metre readings

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've recently been controlling my levels really well, keeping a speadsheet of my readings / what I eat etc - this seems to work for me as I can see when and where I go wrong. I do lots of blood glucose tests, I test before eating, 2 hours after eating and before driving. However I am concerned that my metre does not read accurately, for example I tested my levels before lunch today and was surprised that they were at 2.6, I felt OK so tested again and got 3.5. This happens all the time and sometimes the difference is up to 3mmol. It worries me as I live on my own and like to know what's going on with my blood sugar, especially at night. I use the Optium Xceed which was given to me when I was diagnosed this April, I have 2 metres and have tried using both but still have this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it's worth asking my Doctor for a different metre?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
you could try a new meter... but you're likely to get the same results...

All the glucose meter have a margin of error, i forget exactly what it is but someone will know here... anyway, all the meters will give you slightly different readings... even from the same drop of blood!

i'll do 2 tests now with my Ultrasmart using the same drop of blood...
test1 - 7.0mmol/L
test2 - 7.0mmol/L

uh.... must've got lucky!? :roll:

...maybe you should get an ultrasmart :mrgreen: :lol:

Come to think of it a onetouch ultrasmart would be ideal for you if you like logging your food and insulin as well as your glucose levels!

MisterMoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jessie

I bought a Freesytle lite on diagnosis. A month later the Nurse gave me an Optium Xceed and a prescription for strips. I noticed straight away that my readings were different from the Freestyle meter. I contacted Abbot for some test solution so I could get an idea which meter was more accurate - instead they sent me another Xceed. So I set about doing some comaparsions since I had also received a free Acsencia Contour. Obviously I can't tell how accurate the meters are - what I was looking for was consistency. Unfortunately both Optium Xceeds gave unusable readings - doing three consecutive tests with the Xceeds gave a difference of upto 6mmol.
Both the freestyle and the Contour gave consistent readings.
I have now settled on the Ascentia Contour. I found good reviews on the web for the Contour, the Ultra-smart and Accu-check also had good reports but I have not tried these.

Regards

Alan

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi both,

Thanks for the advice, seems like this is a common problem! I think I will upgrade to a new metre (Contour or Ultrsmart) - as long as I can still get the strips on prescription - which is something I'll need to find out from my surgery as I use so many.

Cheers again, not sure where I'd be without this forum :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's a chapter on meters on David Mendosa's website. It's a brilliant site anyway and he's a brilliant man. Try it

jopar

I know that all the Accu-check strips you can get via predscription... Also the lifescan meters such as the Ultrasmart which is my faviourate meter due to the electronic log book...

But it is reasonably safe to say if they selling it in a chemist then the strips will available on prescription...

MisterMoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jessie
Try and get a free Contour meter - my came with 25 test strips - just enough to give it a proper test.
Regards
Alan

lilibet

I have an Optium Xceed
Dont tell me thats something else I have to worry about now................... :?

shadwell

I have an Ultrasmart meter from Lifescan who have told me that their meters have a standard acceptable error margin of up to 20% which seems a ridiculously high margin for error, particularly for those who are on insulin.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I use an Ascensia Contour, which has been tested for accuracy and found to be spot on. This replaced my old Accu-check which frequently gave readings well outside the 20% error margin claimed by the manufacturers (often out by more than 60%).

The test strips for any meter that you can buy in the UK are available on prescription (if you can persuade your GP to prescribe them!).

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
I would say it's absolutely vital to obtain a solution for any meter. Don't rely on the meter alone - that is why the solution is there :!: :!: The meter is never 100% reliable. Sorry if I sound abrupt - just my BG dropped to the point where I lost conscienceness and had an ambulance called and nearly died once, also lost my job - all because I'd based my insulin dosage around not one faulty meter, but two in a row. I didn't even know at the time I could test the meters for accuracy until a near death experience and a complaint or 5. That is why I'm urging all of you to get the solution. Jessie ask your doctor for the solution no matter what meter you have. Turns out the faulty meters I had were both Freestyle meters. BTW that Ultrasmart sounds cool - being able to log food and insulin - I need something like that in my busy lifestyle :!: Maybe I'll ask :)

caroluk

Hiya

I have an Ascencia contour and just tested after having a curry and small naan bread earlier ( 1st time testing so wanted to see how i reacted to naan )

First reading after 2 hours 7.9 on a different finger 7.0 so the difference is there and lies between too high and okay.

I will be asking for solution to test the meter but no idea what it is or what to do with it can anyone advise? Can i email the meter people or is it only available from the Drs?

Thanks

Carol xx

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
I think there are really two issues circulating in this thread;

Firstly, it seems to be a general trend that none of the meters out there can be expected to give 100% accurate results, all the time. Perhaps deviation is just something we're going to need to live with. I don't think it's something worth panicking about. However...

...secondly, the Optium Xceed does seem to be less reliable than most. I for one will be brining this up at my visit in a weeks time.

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Hate to revive this thread but I just did three tests with my Optium Xceed and it's totally stressed me out.

#1 1.4 - Wayyyy off what I was expecting.
#2 3.5 - A little more like it but I don't feel low and my awareness is usually good.
#3 4.5 - Ok, this is fine.

...but, what the hell? Why is my meter doing this? Surely it can't be this inaccurate on a regular basis??

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
I've had a number of "dodgy" readings with the Xceed but they have been my own fault. A couple of times I've not dried my hands properly before testing and on another two occasions had problems getting blood out of my fingers.

Have you tried with a control solution? I would contact Abbots as well and see what they have to say.

Regards, Tubs.