Funded cgm

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Is there anybody that has been able to get a funded cgm?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, donnellysdogs - good to see you back!

I'm being thick today, I'm afraid - what's a cgm? :eh: :think: :D

Viv 8)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thnx Viv.

Been a long time away.. Stuck my head in now and again..but not posted.
DDX

sootyuk2001

Hi Donnellysdogs

I know with my PCT they will only fund CGM if you are not Hypo aware but again we all know that different PCT's have there own agenda along with the post code lottery that seems to influence decisions. Hope this helps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thnx, I have mine funded and it really has given me my life back.. I'm interested to know how many others have funded ones because it really is my best friend and after a few gliches when first getting it... I really, really never want to lose it. Mainly because I so wish that others could have them funded.
The quality of life I have now compared to the last 26 trs t1 is just so fantastic.
Being able to know when I'm going high and at exactly what times the rises happen give me so much more ability to live a pretty **** best T1 life...
I just so wish that HCP's were more listening to the advantages of them.
The warnings of projected hi's and lo's are brilliant.. Although I recognise hypo 's to be anle to stave them off from occuring is fantastic and so is just 5 blood tests in 5 days. Pressing a button pre driving is so less faffing esoecially when getting in and out cars for at least 4 trips a day.
I think I am very, very, very lucky that I have such fantastic HCP's but just interested to find out just how lucky I am to see how many others have been able to get a cgm.
I so hope one day they become more available to everyone..
DD

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Curious to know on what grounds you managed to get funding? They are not NICE approved so PCT's are under no obligation to fund them.
My pct refuses to even let anyone have a pump which is cgm compatable as it's not fair if you can afford to fund the sensors and others can't. So a blanket ban from PCT regarding cgm. Obviously we can buy our own cgm and self fund.

sootyuk2001

I use a Medtronic Veo pump & when I first got it I was naive & sent a e-mail asking the price for sensors & was shocked that they were £525 for a box of 10 & you would have to change them every 6 days so on average it would cost £3'675 a year. I decided that it was not an option for me to self fund & understand why the PCT do not fund CGM but like everything else in the world i'm sure the price will come down LOL.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm not sure how hospital got the cgms or how they are actually funded.

I, as you know...I Had a hypo scare driving previously...And because of my work and job , driving so much and my husbands shifts also, I was allowed one. It has rransformed my life.

How exactly cgm was funded etc by hosp I do not know.. But I so wish that NICE would wise up and allow their funding officially.
I had background retinopathy in one eye for previous 2 years... Somehow the report to my gp says I dont have any retinopathy now... Is this possible?? I don't know...?

I tried to contact people at NICE ref how fantastic the cgm is, but got no where with them...

I dont know if there is any other way that I can tell the people that matter just how good this cgm is now.
Must admit tho.. Initially I did have probs with faulty receivers/transmitters but the Company were fantadtic at sorting out the probs - I never want to lose this cgm. It is fantastic and I would so like to influence HCP's/NICE to help others who may need one..

jodysd6

I would love to try a CGM, even if just for a few weeks. My friend in the US has one so i have seen it in use and I think it would really help. I really struggle that even doing everything right i seem to get unpredictable highs and lows and would love to be able to see them coming, and I am fed up of what feels like constant overnight testing and setting alarms in the night to try and catch nocturnal lows. I did have a medtronic pump but couldn't afford the cgm, so have just switched to an accu-chek, I considered sticking with medtronic just in case my circumstances change and i could afford them but I prefer the accu-chek so thought i'd be better with that than with the mm i would be having just in case. It was mentioned at one pump appointment that I should be able to try a cgm just for a few days to try and see what was happening, but it never happened and didn't get mentioned again! would love to hear of any other uk experiences with cgm's!

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using a loaned CGM from the hospital at the moment however my consultant has put in the request for it to be funded due to my hypo unawareness and the improvement in my life (and my hubbies life too) I've experienced since using the CGM :)

LouiseW

I had background retinopathy in one eye for previous 2 years... Somehow the report to my gp says I dont have any retinopathy now... Is this possible?? I don't know...?
Donnelly, my brother also had his retinopathy reversed. Doctors were surprised but he's pleased.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was suprised too, I really didnt realise that background retinopathy could go. As 1st check was at specsavers I thought they may have got it wrong, then hospital test confirmed it.
That imorovement is solely down to the cgm and assisting me to manage my life n levels better.