The take-away!

bennyg70

Dislikes
CHEESE!!!
Ok A slightly naughty but fun topic - The takeaway..

So when you fellow diabetics have a takeaway - if you do - What do you opt for, what are the healthier choices for us to have - For example - Im opting for thai over chinese when the possiblity of one comes up as it seems a tiny bit better and easier to predict than a chinese.

Any other good suggestion people can share - Wat they have from the indian? Or other takeaway establishments - That lean toward the healthier side?

Does anyone ask their local takeawy to prepare their food in a different way to help out or anything like that? I wondered how people went about the takeaway!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As I don't eat takeaways that often I don't worry to much about whether it's healthy or not, was I to eat them on a regular basis then I would certainly opt for a healthier option.

I tend to stick to the same Chinese takeaway as I know the portion size well and can inject the right amount of insulin (from past experiences) usually I'll have the Chinese chicken curry with egg fried rice and a side-dish of garlic mushrooms if I'm ravenous :twisted:

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
No take-aways for me or eating out as I have MSG intolerance and even have to be careful with portion size of meat because of the glutamic acid.
I do know that McDonalds are in a minority and none of their food contains MSG, so, if cornered and desperate for some food while out and about, I will opt for their fish but without all the white gunge they usually swamp it in.
They are always accommodating with me and go out of their way to serve me a piece of fish with a carton stuffed full of salad :thumbup: :D

Ashleigh

Chinese: crispy duck or lamb, chilli oil or chop suey or dry ribs or chicken soup.

Kebab shop: kebab and salad without the pitta or chicken wings.

Indian: tandoori meat or prawn cocktail or curry filled out with spinach.

KFC/chicken shop: chicken wings or a wrap.

McDonald's/burger king: insides of burgers or salad.

Pub restaurant: meat with salad.

I think I eat out far too much.

Fraddycat

I often get a couple of chicken drumsticks or 1/4 piece of chicken from Tesco or Asda in their rotisserie section ...yum. At McDonalds I get grilled chicken and bacon salad. Indian I get shish kebabs or something similar. I have had kebabs without the pitta but had high BG readings after so I think it doesn't really suit me. I don't really go for chinese food, I worked in a Chinese restaurant when I was 20 and saw how much sugar went into the food - the chef used to call it cancer beef as he put 7 spoonsful of sugar in one portion of Sechuan beef.

LouiseW

I'm in Canada so some of these may not apply elsewhere.

My normal go-to takeout would be caesar salad, no croutons,topped with chicken. Most places have a salad option, often topped with chicken. I also like Cobb salad, and a julienne salad which has eggs, turkey and ham.

I'll also get Butter Chicken from an Indian place. There is tomato sauce, but overall not bad. And also a spinach dish - I've forgotten the name. It is torture to avoid the naan though. :crazy:

Taco salad in a taco shell, toss the shell.

Some of the grocery stores have a self-serve section which has both hot and cold entrees including undressed salad, veggies, and meat dishes. Very easy to pick out something from this type of place.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I eat out quite often, Indian food seems good for me I usually have a poppadum with spiced onions and then a curry of some sort - have tried various and a spoonful of rice washed down with a couple of glasses of red wine. It's my favourite so I'm happy!
Also go to nandos as my daughters like this and have a chicken butterfly with ratatouille.

Pipsqueak

If you like the same thing ever time, just do trial and error with your insulin. The carb & cal app/website is a great place to start. I only ever have half of an Indian takeaway as its too much otherwise.

McDonald's is one of the few fast food places that give carb details on pack, which makes it easier.

I find takeaway pizza a nightmare to calculate for though.

LouiseW

With pizza, when I am being strict low carb, I eat the toppings and toss the crust. Sometimes it's not worth it though because there's not much left!

Quiche is something else I've gotten when there was nothing else ... and tossed the crust although it's my favourite part! :D

LaughingHyena

I've taken to ordering a portion of stir fried beansprouts when we go to the chinese. I'll have a few noodles from the chow mein but with loads of extra beansprouts which helps me stick ot a reasonable number (for me anyway) of carbs in the meal.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
These threads come up A LOT! :twisted:

noblehead said:
As I don't eat takeaways that often I don't worry to much about whether it's healthy or not

This is probably th ebest way to go about it. One blow out once in a while is better that one semi-acceptable takeaway once a week.

Re: Thai/Chinese - not too sure if Thai IS better... The Thai's sure do love their sweet chilli sauce and rice noodles... green curry is a good choice, though. i often make my own.

Actualy - that's a good point to make. You can BUY lots of the ingredients for Thai/Chinese at a Chinese supermarket.

I have green curry paste, and goldfish curry sauce mix in the cupboard. Goldfish is the curry sauce that you get from take aways. When I discovered I could make this at home, and control the amount of sauce/thickness/carb-count I was elated!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bennyg70 said:
I really really need to find a chinese supermarket!!!!!

No better place than to shop on-line, I'd imagine you'll be able to find most foods there.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bennyg70 said:
Good thinking... I know what ill be spending my lunch break doing!!

Hope you manage to squeeze something to eat in too :lol:

storryvickster

Dislikes
Unfairness of any description
I have chicken or lamb tikka with salad and half a japatti, yum and maybe a desert spoon of pilau rice and a spoonfil of vegatable curry!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
joeyhudson said:
I guess haddock and chips aren't a good idea

I eat fish and chips about four or five times a year, I live in the S London area and like to drive down to Hastings to a favourite Fish & Chip shop on the front, 'The Mermaid' or 'The Blue Dolphin' both serve terrific fresh fish and I usually have cod or Haddock and chips.

I eat the fish, some of the batter and a few chips.....lovely.

If you buy something not diabetic friendly you dont have to eat it all you know :D

In general I dont eat a lot of take aways or fast food though, last time I did was a Kebab about 5 months ago when my wife was working late and I couldnt be bothered to coke anything just for myself.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
If you buy something not diabetic friendly you dont have to eat it all you know :D

Oh I don't know Sid, in the summer my wife came with me on a job and we stopped off at lunch for some fish 'n' chips at the seaside, I had every intention to eat the fish and only half the chips.....needless to say my good intentions soon went out the car window :twisted: