is this good?

kiltedscot

I got diagnsed beginning of year with type 2 diabetes, my test showed a level of 16.1, the long term was 10.1, i know it was not long before as blood test in september was fine, (although i have had impaired glucose tolerance for about 18 month).

I am controlling it with diet, and seriously trying to stick with it, now lost sine beginning of year about 10kg, 5 weeks after doing term term test my doc done another test, and this is down to 7.9, i assume this is quite good, but what should i be aiming for.

Thanks you everyone for all your fine advice you post and provide to all here, especially the new ones like me.

G

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Kilted Scot.You should be aiming for blood sugars that are regularly under 7.0,preferably in the low 6's.Are you testing your blood sugars every day?The blood test that the doctor/nurse does every three months or so is called an Hba1c and this is in percentages.They like this one to be below 7% for good control.Have a browse round the 'links' in this section and you will find more detailed advise on blood sugars and diet control.Happy browsing.

Knowledge is the key to control

Lynda Kay

Hay kiltedscot,

Welcome.

Taking responsibility for your health is one of the greatest gift you can give to yourself and your loved ones.

I commend you for doing that. Knowledge is key and there's plenty of that here.

Happy Trails,
Proverbs 17:22

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kiltedscot</i>
<br />I am controlling it with diet, and seriously trying to stick with it, now lost sine beginning of year about 10kg, 5 weeks after doing term term test my doc done another test, and this is down to 7.9, i assume this is quite good, but what should i be aiming for.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Congratulations on the good work so far. I recommend that your long-term aim should be under 6%. I've written some ideas here, hopefully they may may help you get there:

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... djust.html

Alan, T2, Australia

Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Failte KiltedScot.

7% I think was originally intended as an upper limit for HbA1c, not a target!
It equates to an average blood sugar of 10 mmol/l which is not a good idea, long term. A non-diabetics HbA1c will be close to 4.5% and that should be our target in my opinion. The further we stray from that, the greater the chance of future complications.

All the best,

fergusc

LesleyB

Hi, I just found this forum, so hi!

As for the percent m/mol bit, it depends what you are measuring, the HBA1c is generally in a percentage and your blood glucose is generally quoted in m/mol

Your HB1ac is a measure of your long term (up to 3 moths I think) glucose control. Your blood glucose is a short term measure of your blood glucose and you should be aiming for between 5 and 7 (I think) for your fasting level.