the veo pump or the omnipod?

jgreen2711

can anyone help me out, these are the two options i have been given for my daughter to have a look at. they both look good and as my baby is only 6 the decision is down to me. anyone know the pros and cons of either device?? :D

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The veo is good because it can do very small units 0.025 per hour is lowest I think. Also if you can get funding a CGM will make the pump auto suspend if glucose goes low so would take some worry out of your night

TheSugarMan

I'm facing a similar dilemma myself.

This would be solved if Cellnovo would finally get their product to market!

I'm 22 and was diagnosed about 6 months ago. I've received funding and need to have chosen my pump by the start of November.

Ideally I'd like a tubeless pump (the Omnipod) just for ease and because I go to the gym and play football each week. It'd make things so much easier than fiddling with clips and finding where to attach the pump to my clothes. However the main drawbacks I have read about are reliability issues with the pump, the fact they don't have an integrated CGM and that the dosing isn't quite as accurate (previously stated).

At the moment I take 7 Lantus daily and 1unit of Novorapid for every 20grams of carbs, so fairly low doses of insulin. I'm wondering therefore whether the Omnipod's smaller increments might be a bit of a pain to deal with. At the moment I have a Novoecho pen so I can take 1/2 units of novorapid for 10grams of carbs. But it's an issue I'm not familiar with as I've no experience of a pump.

So basically I'd like an Omnipod but feel I might be accepting a slightly inferior technology for the sake of convenience. Anyone's opinions on this would be greatly welcomed. Hopefully they'll help both myself and the thread starter!

Thanks

kt78

Hi this is my first ever post after having T1 for 28 years so here goes!
I have no experience of the veo, but have been on the omnipod for about 6 months now and I love it! The one big advantage I think the pod has is that it autoinserts the cannula, you just press a button! As a child I really hated the needles and as I got older got quite phobic and started skipping shots! There is a video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktEYf-uYbOc with a young girl talking about her pod which you may find helpful.
Best of luck!

elainechi

can.t give you any advise as we aren.t pumpers..... however could you possibly give some help to janey15......sad lonely mummy i think was her heading...she has a newly diagnosed 7 year old...i can.t help as jane was 11 when diagnosed but i know she feels very sad ...thanks elaine x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sugarman, you do realise don't you that you will not get the sensors etc on the NHS for the cgm if you have the veo?

Nickysmith29

I was on the Omni pod for almost a year, there are many benefits like having no wires but I found to many negatives. I found it very unreliable it would suddenly stop working and did this on many occasions, it would alarm and wouldn't stop until you removed it, this means you always have to carry a spare pod! The stickiness of it was also a bit downfall, it would constantly come off and that means you have to replace the whole thing! I also found that towards the 3rd day of wearing it my bg would rise as the insulin sits on the skin and therefore gets very warm and causes it to not work as well! This is just my experience but I have now moved on to a wired pump as I'm pregnant and I need it to be more reliable and so far so good :) x

TheSugarMan

@ CarbsRok - Yeah I do realise CGM isn't funded in 99% of cases all of the time but I have been told by my DSN that you can borrow CGM systems occasionally (say every 6 months for a week), which is a something I'd really like. I've also considered self funding the Dexcom G4, but think that having CGM year round might be too much. Sometimes it's better not to know exactly where you are so that you can switch off and not go over the top.

Thanks Nicky for your input.

At this stage I'm still thinking the Omnipod is going to be my 1st choice. I'm hoping that I'll somehow work out how to avoid the pump failures. I'm not suggesting it's how you've used the pump that has caused it but some people do seem to have a lot less trouble than yourself. As the omnipod is more of a pay-as-you-go system I may find that if things aren't going well I'll ask for a change of pump. Maybe the cellnovo will even surface!

Ultimately if I can't keep my HbA1c below 6 then I'd be better off back on injections or a new tubed system.

For the record I think I'd go for the animas vibe if I were to ever go tubed. I've heard good things about the CGM.

Only a couple of days till I send my order so if there's anything else people have to say I'd love to hear it! :D

kt78

Hi Sugarman!
I can, naturally, only speak of my own experience, however, as I said I have been on the omnipod for about 6 months now and haven't had any failures at all - I have found it to be 100% reliable. In fact, in my pump start group of 5 people, 3 out of 4 of the tubed folks had problems with their tubing and cannulas coming out. Also, the BG meter is included in the Omnipod so you don't need to type your results into your pump or carry 2 pieces of kit around with you!
I have very 'brittle' diabetes and find the small dosage increments really helpful. I don't mean to eulogise but the pod has changed my life! Also, the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh is brilliant! (buy the Fourth Edition as it has UK as well as US BG levels!) Good luck!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The 5th edition is out now and includes sensor use :)

TheSugarMan

Thanks for that. I'll look up the book and get it ordered. I'm really pleased to hear a good review on the reliability side. I'm going to contact my DSN today and order get the Omnipod on order. I must admit I'm quite excited to get going with it.

kt78

Glad you are excited - hope it is as good for you as it has been for me!
As you may be aware, there is a new PDM (the handset controller or 'Personal Diabetes Managerr' (!)) and smaller pods due out sometime soon, so don't order a years worth of consumables! The makers will give you the new handset when it comes out, like a free mobile upgrade, but your PCT won't want to pay for the new pods if they've just shelled out for a years worth, I'm sure your sales rep will tell you all this, as I've found them (Ypsomed) to be really helpful, but just in case!...
Best of Luck!

leggott

We love the Omnipod and I have to agree the customer service is fantastic. Our sales rep rang me a few days back to tell me that the new DM and smaller pods will be out in early Nov. He spent over an hour talking to me about the improvements made to the meter and pods and I was very impressed. Cell Novo having a lot of problems and it does't look like it's coming to market just yet! All pumps have their pros and con's, my advice is to trial each one and decide on which one you feel suits you and your life syle best. That's assuming you get a choice through your PCT.

kt78

Early November - great news! I'm really looking forward to the smaller pods and if there are improvements to the meter, even better!

kt78

Here is a report on the efficacy of / patient satisfaction with, the omnipod versus tubed devices produced by the NHS (North East Treatment Advisory Group). If you don't have time to read the whole thing, then Pages 6 and 9 are a good starting point:

http://www.netag.nhs.uk/files/appraisal-reports/Omnipod%20-%20NETAG%20appraisal%20report%20-%20Nov%202011%20-WEB%20VERSION.pdf

Garthion

Can I give a view from a VEO user please?

I've been using the VEO since July, yes you have the tubing and Canula as separate parts, but this is not too much of a problem, especially if you put the canula in your leg then clip the pump onto your trouser waist band. You don't have to do any maths as the pump has a built in Bolus wizard, which (when combined with the Bayer Contour Link meter, free with the pump) means that you only have to add in your Carb quantities at meal times. If you're running high, the pump will ask if you want to do a correction dose to bring you back down to your target range, and as has been posted above, if you use CGM (I don't) and your BGs start falling rapidly, the pump will suspend delivery for up to 2 hours and give either an audible warning or it will vibrate.
Battery wise, I have only had to change the battery twice since having the pump, will need to change it next week but they (batteries) are supplied by Medtronic so I do not need to worry about the cost of them for now (got a year's worth with the pump.)
The infusion sets (Canula and tubing) are not uncomfortable and can be changed in as little as a couple of minutes. There are three types that you can get, the Silhouette, the MIO and the quick set. I started with the Mios but found the adhesive to be slightly too weak for me (I'm rather active at work) so have switched to the Quick sets that also have a longer tubing than the Mio.

Overall I have not had any problems with my VEO since having it, and have even improved my HbA1c from 9.8% to 7.6% whilst being on it. I wouldn't give it up for anything.