thyroidectomy and diabetes

andrianna1981

I'm due to have a total thyroidectomy in November.I'm also type 1 diabetic.I have a large goiter due to my over active thyroid.I'm very worried about the whole thing and wondering if there's anyone who has had this op.and their experience.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Hi,
I havnt had a thyroidectomy but I do have an underactive thyroid for which I take levothyroxine.
Have you been to the website of the British Thyroid Foundation? www.btf-thyroid.org/
They have support groups and there might be one close to you, you could get in touch with for reassurance.
Good luck and I'm sure it will work out well.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dad had his removed last December, he is IDD type 2. When they get your levothyroxine dosage underway you may find as they up it your metabolism increases and you go low, he did. We have reduced his lantus a bit and now he is fairly ok again.

He was 87 at the time and flew through the surgery and radio iodine treatment so don't worry.

Ali

WhitbyJet

I had a complete thyroidectomy back in 1982. The surgery went fine with no complications. I woke up to find that I had 2 drainage tubes coming from my neck and I had to sleep in an upright position. I was not in any pain at all.
I was prescribed LevoThyroxine and it took a while to get the right dosage, but all soon settled and the scar healed beautifully, its very thin and now barely visible. A Mum at my daughters school had the same operation recently and her scar is even smaller despite her having a goitre removed.
Keep tight control of your blood sugar levels as this will help you to heal better. You might want to have liquid meal replacement or make up healthy yogurt and berry smoothies and liquidise wholesome soups for a couple of days. Ice cream is good too.

Good luck with it all, thinking of you, please let us know how you get on x x

andrianna1981

Thank you for your advise.I wrote over active by accident.I'm actually under active.I take 200 mg of Levi thyroxine at the moment.but I'm thinking they will up it once I've had my thryroid removed.did your dad have any problems with his weight after the op.I go in on the 25 th Nov.will let you know how it goes.

andrianna1981

Just letting you know how I got on.I had my op on the 2nd Dec.so it's almost 3 weeks now and in doing good.my sugar levels were a bit unstable in the hospital.due to being on sliding scale.and I had to stay in a few days after as I got an infection.but all in all am feeling ok.still get tired easily and my body temperature is up and down like a yoyo but on the plus side I've list half a stone.I'm still taking the same amount of meds as before my op.and all tests revealed norhing sinister.I hope that this post one day helps someone else in my situation.thank u for responding.and last of all merry Christmas everyone.xx