Fruity Question....

SweetHeart

....dried fruit to be exact. Well, sort of.

Last year, before MH was diagnosed, I soaked some dried cranberries in Macallan. Quite a lot of Macallan. A year or so later the cranberries have absorbed most of the whisky. I think the cranberries are sweetened with sugar as opposed to sweeteners.

What I'd like someone to tell me is; will the added sugars and the natural sugars in the cranberries now be polyols, will they have turned from fructose to alcohol sugars and be safe for a diabetic?

Thanks!

Ju

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey Sweetheart, the answer to you question is yes some if not most of the sugars will be converted to alcohol especially after a good years soaking and yes if the cranberries are sweetened it will be with sugar or in some cases corn starch (but yummy send me some in a jar I bet it tastes wowowow :lol: ).

One thing to bears in mind as well is that alcohol is one of the most concentrated forms of sugars so be aware that even a small amount may affect your BG quite a lot.

Hope I have been helpfull

Simon aka Cobra3164

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please note that alcohol is likely to lower your BGs
CAROL

SweetHeart

Just what I wanted to hear - the whisky is 'good' for BS levels. So now, do I use them for a Christmas cake, or make something special for his 50th birthday next week? I've probably got enough to do both..... :D

I guess it doesn't have to be just cranberries? I could use most dried fruits?

Right then...better put some more to soak for next Christmas....it's only 5 mins away!

Ju

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I once tried to make a crumble with some damsons that my husband had used to make damson gin (actually he used vodka cos it was cheaper !) The damsons were awful because the alcohol had taken every vestige of juice out of them so I would test the fruit before using it
CAROL

SweetHeart

In theory, the dried cranberries should be juicier now than they were to start with as they've absorbed the whisky. I'll get MH to try some as I don't like whisky.

Ju