Orlistat

Cultivator

Sarah69 said:
If I carb count do I need to low carb?

Breakfast I usually have 1 weetabix.

Lunch will usually be a sandwich with cheese or ham. Have been eating soup a few times.

Tea last nite I had a take away it was Chinese, chicken curry with rice. Tonight I'll cook sausages with mash and peas. Other meals I eat are, scampi and oven chips. Spaghetti bolognaise, pasta bake, lasagna, chicken in mushroom nd walnut sauce with fried potatoes, carrots broccoli and fine beans. Roast dinners, toad in the hole mash peas nd gravey. Fish fingers chips nd baked beans. Chops mash nd peas. There is probably more stuff I eat but just can't think of it.

I like pork,chicken, beef and lamb. I usually only eat chicken as the other meats are too expensive to buy.

I'm not a lover of veg really but will eat peas, carrots, potato (every way but boiled), broccoli, parsnips but only roasted with a roast, leeks fine beans, runner beans.

I don't eat fruit. Sometimes I will eat strawberrys, cherries, grapes, clementines.

I like peanuts, cashews.

I have a very sweet tooth.

I try not to eat between meals but somedays I'm really hungry.

I drink tea.

Hi Sarah,

I am not great at his myself - I have been dancing around it for over 4 years now - but I have had some wake up calls so been back to taking the sugar / carbs thing seriously for a month now .
What I have learned for myself - which might be different for you I know but here goes:
Avoid fruit - which you do anyway so that's cool!
cooked carrots not good - raw OK, other roots not good UNLESS roasted :) yippeee
Green veg, fine beans, broccoli , leeks etc fine, also mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers etc But the veg that are little carb seeds in disguise - eg peas and broad beans are not so good.
Roast veg - roast potatos, roast parsnips seem OK - I had mashed potato with plenty of gravy and butter and that was OK too although people seem to say it isn't!

Personally I would avoid weetabix - I've been eating eggs for breakfast - and/ or bacon, sausage, fried mushrooms, etc... I know this is expensive (luckily I keep chickens and pigs) I suspect that cheese on toast would be a better bet than Weetabix - but you really need to test if you can ..

I found rice and pasta made my blood sugar shoot up - even the wholesome brown kind, so I've just stopped eating them - I eat the meaty bits and the veg.. just give the rest of the family the rice/pasta/ potatos. BUT... sugar free jelly and cream is the answer to the hungriness problem - Oh yeah!!

I've persuaded myself to eat salad a bit.. I have been buying 'sandwich ham' or other 'reduced to clear' sliced meats and rolling slices up around cream cheese or coleslaw - more than 2 slices required for a reasonable lunch but, honestly, I have managed to avoid the kit Kat box at work really easily!!

Diet drinks help with the urge to stuff something in your mouth, also sugar free polos ..

Whoops, family just arrived home and I was supposed to be working ! Got to go, good luck :)

Cynthia6

Hi,
I take oralist, I started taking it in July and lost 7lbs in the first month, it took about two weeks for the side effects to go and I carried on taking it till the beginning of September when I stopped taking it as I was going in to hospital to have a knee replacement. While I was taking it my glucose levels went down to nearly none diabetes level. I started taking it again last week and have lost 5lb, I am like you a faddy eater and at the moment can't exercise either so it has helped me a great deal to reduce weight which for me the side effects are worth putting up with.

Reactions: Petaluk
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, has anyone on this forum used this to help lose weight? If so how well did it work for you?
i used orlistat a few years ago and yes you do get the runs if you eat to much fat, but i lost several stone but it only reduces the fat you eat by 1/3 so a low fat diet you still absorb some fat orlistat does not remove any more than a 3rd of the fat you eat so if you dont reduce the amount of fat you eat whilst taking them you will be running back a forth to the loo

loopa

Hi, has anyone on this forum used this to help lose weight? If so how well did it work for you?
Hi. I new here. I read a lot of information about orlistat (xenical, slimox) information. I used 0,6 IU of insulin 3 times daily before I start to take orlistat for weight loss (My weight was 287 pounds) . Now I working hard and lost 24.5 pounds for 6 weeks. I reduced my insulin dose to 0,4 IU already. So orlistat helps me well.

loopa

I was offerred Orlistat this spring, by my doctor.

Now, as I understand it, your body need some fats in order to work properly. So how does taking a pill to remove all my fat for months and months keep me healthy?

And you have to cut down your intake of fats to nil if possible.

Which makes you lose weight anyway. And gives the Orlistat nothing to do. Cos it flushes out the non-existent dietary fat you are not eating.......

the Pharmacist was confused too when we talked it over. So I decided that, if I was going to cut out all fat, I wouldnt need to take the Orlistat.

And if I was going to continue to eat fat, and take Orlistat, the side effects were too unpleasant.

So why bother??? :crazy:

I think these manufacturers think we are stupid and they only have to claim something illogical and we will jump up and down and squeal with delight, just cos it says it will help with dieting.
Hello. You are fully right. But peoples are different and most of them has different problems like migraine. when I had 287 pounds weight I suffered from migraines and could not refuse high-calorie food and fat including (my doctor diet plan). So orlistat (slimox, xenical, alli) was a perfect way for me. Now I'm 157 pounds and have less migraines attacks.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm starting this on the 10th may.
I've used it before. When it was new on the market.
I lost weight and it got me trained into low fat foods. I stopped it because I followed a very low fat diet so I didn't need it.
A good interim drug.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm starting this on the 10th may.
I've used it before. When it was new on the market.
I lost weight and it got me trained into low fat foods. I stopped it because I followed a very low fat diet so I didn't need it.
A good interim drug.
No longer on it due to lack of nutrients being absorbed because of an infection in stomach/gut. No metformin either.
Hoping to return to both.
Only used orilstat for 6mths. Stopped losing weight on it. I was losing slowly on low carb but this slowed then stopped my weight loss.
I read orilstat prevents gallbladdder problems but medic world don't know why as fat doesn't cause gallbladder issues, nor low fat reduce it.