Feel like I could do with a friend right now

AmyGreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where do I begin?????

I am currently 16 - nearly 17 weeks pregnant. I went to my midwife nearly 6 weeks ago, bloods taken, blood pressure done etc and she was a bit concerned with my blood pressure so advised I went to see my doctor. I did the next day, who asked for a water sample. I obliged and she was concerned as there was high levels of sugar (despite fasting), so wanted a HBA1C test done. Had bloods taken, then after the weekend received an urgent call requesting I come in. She then told me I had diabetes and my HBA1C was 105. Was told recommended is about 50 and women wanting to become pregnant are often advised to get this even lower to about 40. She told me as the number is very high it's likely I've had it for years and not known. Also they can't tell at the moment if it's Type 1 or 2, because I'm pregnant (probably T2 though), but will try and diagnose after I've had the baby.
Since then I was referred to the diabetic clinic at the antenatel department. Firstly I was told to test my BG for a week and come back. After a couple of days my figures seemed high (was told to ring if this was the case), so I rang and they put me on Metformin. Used metformin for a week, but figures still remained fairly high so was put onto Insulin (Levirmir, twice a day and Novarapid, with meals). I did this for a week and they seemed pleased. Numbers had dropped quite a bit, so stated I could go away for 3 weeks, continue what I was doing and then they will see how I am. Also at this time I was told instead of testing my BG 7 times a day, just do it before meals and at bedtime, so roughly just 4 times a day. This relieved me as I struggle so much getting blood from my fingers.
Anyway I went back last week. Generally they seem happy with my figures, although sometimes they have gone low 3.1 etc and sometimes too high 7.1 isn. I therefore thought they would say that yes on average everything seems to be ok. The nurse told me last week to starting testing an hour after I eat to help my figures to not go too low or too high. This has now depressed me. I know it's the good thing to do, but now seriously depressed. Sometimes there seems to be no reason why my numbers go so high. The other morning I had 1 slice of brown bread, 2 friend eggs and 2 slices of ham for breakfast and figure 8.0 afterwards. I've been told it should really be <7.8 after meals so not far off, but still a bit on the high side. My husband tells me not to worry as it's not far off, but I can't help it. After a couple of days I was thinking maybe it's the bread my blood sugars can't deal with, so today, before breakfast 3.9 (low and not really sure why), so had 1 slice of seeded bread, and 1 unit of insulin (generally I have 1 unit for 10g carbs, however if a meal is 40g = 3, 60g = 5 etc, I was finding if I had 40g = 4 I was then having hypos). An hour after breakfast it was 4.1. I'm guessing as my fasting level was low I possibly could have had the toast and no insulin. Anyway I did then have a mini mini flake mid morning (I know I shouldn't but had the dentist and felt like I just needed something). Came back had a bit of a walk and before lunch it was 4.1, so again I thought well it's a bit low (I've been told <5.5 before meals), but ok. I had 2 slices of seeded bread, ham and cheese, some cheese thins that I made and a Weight Watches yoghurt and then an hour later, my level was 8.8

I really am sorry I am just waffling on. I am still getting used to things and tomorrow I will still have toast and then a sandwich to see if I can confirm it's the bread I'm having so to know in future not to have it.
The hospital is telling me I'm doing well, having only just found out, being pregnant and already adapting to taking insulin, but I feel like a failure. I've always wondered what my HBA1C was, as like on here I've seen people put a %. So I've just converted my figure and it was 11. something %. That's made me cry even more. I think I'm more depressed with it as I'm pregnant and worried what damage I've already done to my baby. If it was just me, then yes damaged my own health, so now strive to correct it, but I've got a baby inside me so I need to do it to help both of us.
I think my husband and my mum (type 2 diabetic) are sick of me just crying to them all the time, but I just don't know what to do. I want chocolate, snuggle up with my hot water bottle and for me to have had the baby and everything be alright. I know being diagnosed early is better than late, so I can try and limit what damage is done, but I'm still depressed about it all.
This forum has been a great find and I've just been reading post after post all day.

Like I said before sorry for ranting but just feel I finally need to just vent and sorry for such a long post.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi AmyGreen,

Welcome to this wonderful place with lots of friendly help and advice :wave:

Please don't feel you have to apologise for ranting and writing such a long post....it is good that you can talk about it all and how it is affecting you.
I think a lot of us shed plenty of tears upon diagnosis, I know I admit to. That will subside once you get over the shock. You have had a lot to deal with, especially with the hormones in pregnancy too!!

You are doing very well with the insulin, don't worry. It will get easier. I was put on insulin early August and I still get it wrong, ending up too high or too low a couple of hours later!! I find keeping a good chart of what I've eaten, how many units I injected and my before & after readings helps to see what I'm doing right and wrong.

Good luck and keep calm, stress can raise levels too and is not good for baby either.
Feel free to ask any questions, we will help if we can.
Best wishes
Angie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The four main things which will raise your blood sugars are, sugar of course, flour, rice and potatoes. No-one with diabetes should be taking excess sugar and especially not sugary drinks.

For many of us flour is the worst. Not just bread but anything made with flour and it doesn't matter if it's brown or any other colour for the most part. Happily in my case I can eat reduced portions of rice or potato but after lots of high readings I now find it simpler to leave everything with flour in off the menu.

I am pretty sure that you will find that the bread you eat is not helping.

Anyway, carry out your testing and discover how much of what you can eat. We have all been through it.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Amy,

I am new here, and have just read your post. Sorry you are feeling the way you are, and I hope things get better for you. Growing babies are amazing and will cope with whatever your body is going through. I am sure everything will be fine. Take care.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey :D I was in exactly the same position as you this time last year... I now have a perfectly healthy (7lb baby at birth) boy who is one next month :D

You sound like you are doing fab! Yes, the insulin isn't great but you are lucky to have the freedom as such of the two different insulins. As your pregnancy progresses you will find that you MAY need to alter things with obviously guidance from your team!!

Dealing with a pregnancy alone is hard enough but to deal with pregnancy AND a diagnosis of diabetes is just not nice at all :( like I said I've been there and know how it feels. You are doing the right thing, I knew a lady who was still having takeaways and chocolate and general bad stuff despite a diagnosis :( buried her head.

We, we'll especially myself, are here to offer any advice you need for the rest of your pregnancy!!

Just try not to be so hard on yourself xx

Beanpole

Hi
You are doing really well, I have been diabetic for years now and have two gorgeous children age 8 and 9.
Although trying really hard and testing loads I struggled to keep my bloods as good as yours. Many things effect blood glucose levels stress and pregnancy hormones included. Now your on insulin and your BM's are better controlled your HbA1c will improve quite quickly.
I had to do two hourly post meal BM's and it can be disheartening. You will be monitored closely during your pregnancy and due to the diabetes you will get more scans and therefore more reassurance its all going well, keep doing what your doing which is your best no one expects anymore than that.
Try and enjoy your pregnancy and remember your doing great and hormones play games with your emotions x :)

AmyGreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your comments. I really do appreciate them.
I had blood taken last week for a HBA1C and I've just rung the hospital and they said it's down to 62. As I stated in my post originally it was 105, so a massive improvement. The lady on the phone stated for pregnant ladies the boundaries are 20 something to 59, so I'm very close to that. I thought it might have dropped to 90 maybe, considering it would still analyse a time when I didn't know about the diabetes still.

Anyway at least it's made me a happy Amy for now. I still want chocolate and still not sure how I will cope over the next 4-5 months, but at the moment all I can do is take one day at a time.

Thank you again :wink: :D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recommend Lindt Sea Salt chocolate. You can have a couple of squares two hours after your meal then you will have some left for tomorrow and the next day.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure why you have been told to test 1 hour after a meal. Most of us here test two hours after and aim for the 7.8 or below level. 1 hour is surely too soon?

Ali

C

catherinecherub

Ali H said:
Not sure why you have been told to test 1 hour after a meal. Most of us here test two hours after and aim for the 7.8 or below level. 1 hour is surely too soon?

Ali

Pregnant ladies have targets for 1 and 2 hrs. after meals. A friend had to try and get to 7.8 after 1hr. and 6.7 after 2 hrs. High blood sugars will affect baby. Much harder to get control when pregnant. :(

Hi Amy,

Things will improve and your precious cargo will thank you for it. Like you say, one day at a time. ((((hugs))))

Take care.

CC.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I followed this advice to find out my peak time and I continue to use 1 hour as my time for measuring as when I check by testing again at 2 hours, the 2 hour is invariably lower:

The relevant section of the post is:

"Have patients determine the best time for postprandial SMBG by testing 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, and 120 minutes after a meal to detect their peak postprandial glucose concentration."

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com.au/20 ... tands.html

teddybear

I wish you were here with me, I would give you a big cuddle,
such a shock to be diagnosed whilst having a baby.. do not
worry, just eat less bread.. mind how many pieces of fruit
you have.. No five a day when we use insulin...
soon you will settle down, and hopefully find a nurse that does
understand diabeties... maybe ask for an appointment with the
diabetic dietition, she should be able to work out a better
shedule for you. love teddybear

good luck having your babe, chin up and carry on, all my fondest
thoughts are with you... do not be dictated to by the medical team..
just live a little, try and eat sensible... you are growing a baby, not a
prison sentence xxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

janrick

Hi I have been type 1 for 40 years now from 35years old, please do not worry so much things will settle down in time. If as time goes on you can keep your blood sugar level under ten you're doing well you try to aim for normal levels which is between 4 and 7 but cannot always achieve this as getting upset or angry can at times raise the level, I live a good life an d have no complications after all this time , my health professionals have allways been happy with me. You get your ups and downs but deal with them as they come, I have always tested first thing in the morning before each meal and just before bed, if blood sugar is under 7 try having a little supper before you retire for the night. plenty of exercise is good but please don't worry over it as I have been on insulin from the very start you do your best thats all, the boundaries you have been asked to stay in seems to be quite harsh so don't fret, I think you will be type 1 as you are usually type 2 if you're over 40 and I guess you arn't that old, it runs in my family as my son has it and my two grandchildren do , a cousin and her child also an uncle,do not starve yourself and do not let it run your life you have to plan your day but be comfortabe with it. I'm in great healh with no problems at all I live in New Zealand so things may be done differently there but you will be fine I'ts not the end of the world I travel to the UK every 2 years staying at places just planning and care you'll be good.All diabetics are friends feel free to ask questions anytime.
God bless Janet

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think she's been given harsher targets because she's pregnant, things need to be under a strict control as if could affect baby. Also , type 2 used to be classed as a thing you get over 40 but that's not necessarily the case these days. People of all ages can be diagnosed type 2. She may be like me and already have been type 2 and not known but the pregnancy has bought it out, I'm 31.

X

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I think the improvement already is fantastic, with the baby you have the right inventive to make those changes & if it wasn't for the pregnancy you'd not of been diagnosed yet, so in a way the baby has already been good to you. Whens it due? I'm sure many of us want to hear the happy ending so please keep posting.

AmyGreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again for replies. I really do appreciate it.

I'm 25 yrs old. My mum is Type 2 diabetes and the doctors think I may have been diabetic for years. Up until the last few years I was severely overweight and have lost over 5 and a half stones, although putting some of that back on. I think it's likely to have Type 2, but can't be diagnosed officially until after the baby is born and then we will see what my treatment will then be.
I still have good days and bad days. I'm finding out what food works best for me and what doesn't. Get a bit down if I've eaten something and it's given me a high number, but do want some variety in my meals so trial and error. I do have a diabetic midwife I can talk to and I've done to a diabetic clinic (for pregnant women) several times as well, as it will be more them who will be monitoring my pregnancy.

Again I am so glad I've found this forum as everyone is so nice and friendly and very generous with their advice, it's a wonderful place to come to.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Keep going you are doing well! Pregnancy is tough in itself, throw diabetes into it and its bound to make you feel overwhelmed!

I've had two diabetic pregnancies, first pregnancy, GD, undiagnosed until 34 weeks (i'd drank lucozade from day 1 due to morning sickness, imagine my readings!!)
Second pregnancy, diagnosed at 10 weeks after GTT, then found out i had Type 1 diabetes!

Both pregnancies went well, it was a pain in the bum having to inject/test god knows how many times a day, but once you have your baby in arms you will be soooo relieved and happy, all the worry/testing/diet won't matter then once you hear him/her cry.

PM me if you want to talk x

AmyGreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey

I'm due April next year but been told more likely March due to being diabetic so will induce me early. I have my gender scan in 3 weeks and I can't wait.
I was at the hospital for a check up today and they are happy with my progress and stating my numbers are doing a lot better, so definitely heading in the right direction.
It's still a struggle, but I will get there and when the days are bad I know where/who I can turn too.

xx

Samc2212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Being diabetic does not stop you eating your 5 portions of fruit or veg a day, you just have to count your carbohydrate portions snd give the correct amount of insulin for this. I have been type 1 for 38 years now with not always fantastic results especially during my teenage years of resentment, but my life was changed a couple of years ago when I attended the DAFNE course and learnt that I have freedom to make choices. My next massive step forward was starting pump therapy 6 weeks ago, my life has changed so much I can't begin to tell you.
Try injecting a few minutes before you eat certain foods ie 5 mins or whatever you find suits you before you eat your bread, this can make a big difference, don't cut it out if you like it. Speak to your diabetic educator and ask about the availability of a DAFNE course, but don't give up you are doing fantastic and will always have friends to help you.we are all individuals and so is our diabetes what works for one person may not work for the next so try different things till you find what suits you.
Good luck with it all, especially with your baby xx