Harcombe Diet

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I came across this diet mentioned somewhere else on the forum earlier today and followed the link onto her details etc. However, all I really want to know is what diet does she suggest - as usual nobody tells you anything unless you part with money.
I was wondering if anyone on these boards knows what this diet is - I am not going to throw more money buying books when I haven't a clue what they are about.

Thank you.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Thats always the problem when people are selling something, by the time you have parted with your money its too late if you find to your dismay that it doesnt work or is not what you expected.

I on the other hand will tell you up front that if you eat less you lose weight, there Ive done it, now if it works please send me £9.99 :wink:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Let's be clear, we're talking about buying a single book - not some subscription scam. Apparently some people on the forum think that reading is a bad thing.

You can get it for less than £7 "used" on Amazon. Better still, get your local library to order it, then it won't cost you a thing. The Amazon reviews are very good...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting link boro

(general remark below)

However:

"potatoes are carbs and should be avoided" but "you can have rice or rice pasta" are they not carbs?

and "no fat and carb in a meal"???

sounds suspiciously like one of those trendy "do not mix your food cos I say so" rather than an actual scientific reason - type diets to me.

Easier, and cheaper, to just stick to a low carb diet.

I mean, if you have to give up all carbs apart from rice, why not just low carb and save the money on the book?

Fraddycat

Agreed about the library, I have got some cracking recipe books from the there and you can order books in. A massively underused resource in my humble opinion.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
I on the other hand will tell you up front that if you eat less you lose weight, there Ive done it, now if it works please send me £9.99 :wink:

How true, we are in the wrong business :)

Mileana

Would it be possible to avoid labelling a forum member in the process of saying 'I disagree - here's my opinion'?

It would be much more pleasant to read and cut out the non-informative bits if you rephrased that slightly, borofergie.

End mod transmission.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Milena:

I think you will find, if you re-read the thread, that it was not borofergie who made the specifically personal remark.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Based on Pat's link I'd label it "relatively harmless" but would suggest you check out your levels 2 hours after eating especially on the carb heavy meals as some of us would find those levels of rice, pasta and porridge maybe a bit high. Remember the author may not have have considered T2 diabetics when creating the plan but if you find it works for you great!

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Patch - at least that link gives me an idea. As for some of the other comments I am very disappointed - this forum is not what it was when I joined over 4 years ago - yes longer than the rest of you who have commented.
Maybe I cant even afford £7 - but these forums are for supporting each other not pulling us apart - well I thought they were anyway.
Everytime I post a querie I rarely get any positive comments and today I have got the answer I wanted, many thanks Patch, but I did not reckon on some of the other comments.
Totally disappointed, think I might go, :(

Ashleigh

Yes, whether you get a reply/discussion or not does seem to depend on your status in the clique here - in my opinion as a fairly new observer!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ashleigh said:

Yes, whether you get a reply/discussion or not does seem to depend on your status in the clique here - in my opinion as a fairly new observer

as a relative newcomer myself, I completely dispute that. Sometimes I dont get a reply because no-one know the answer. Or the board is very busy and my thread slips down the page.

And sometimes it because people have already been answered, but dont want the answer they have got.

I love this board and have met with many kindnesses and much help on here. I am sorry your experience has been different.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Most diets are detailed in the internet somewhere - just use Google. Some site somewhere will have a basic overview of it.

Trust me - I've Googled A LOT of diets over the years! I've yet to find one that isn't explored on some website somewhere! :wink:

Defren

Patch said:
Most diets are detailed in the internet somewhere - just use Google. Some site somewhere will have a basic overview of it.

Trust me - I've Googled A LOT of diets over the years! I've yet to find one that isn't explored on some website somewhere! :wink:

Very true. I have Googled loads and never had a problem finding information, and often a forum where the particular diet is discussed by people who have tried it.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, Jude,

Harcombe Diet may not be suited for a person with diabetes. if you read this you find many hicups. http://theharcombedietclub.co.uk/ProPla ... asting.pdf (a bit long winded)

The cost of their programmes and books are excessive considering what is recommended in their Diet, 50% water.
They also state "Not Tested" many times.

Roy. :)

Dark Horse

I would be cautious. Harcombe studied Maths and Economics at University but describes herself as a "nutritionist". This is not a protected term, anyone can describe themselves as a nutritionist, even if they have no scientific qualifications. (This is contrast to the term dietitian which can only be used by people who have completed an accredited course in dietetics.) I'm not a dietician but I studied nutrition during the final year of my B.Sc. and I find many of the quotes from Harcombe unconvincing.

Ben Goldacre mentions her in his Bad Science page http://www.badscience.net/2011/01/how-to-read-a-paper/

There is also some interesting comment here http://www.cancer-prevention.org/2011/01/zoe-harcombe’s-book-‘the-obesity-epidemic’/