Loose skin after weight loss

Defren

Up until now I have been really lucky and although at the beginning I lost a hell of a lot of weight in a very short time, I didn't have any loose skin. Now the tummy fat has decided to move, and quickly I seem to have collected quite a bit on my tummy. I have read up on the subject and the consensus seems to be that after around two years it will shrink back to normal.

Not being the most patient of people I don't want to wait two years, so has anyone else had this problem, and did you manage to get rid of it, if so how? I will do ANYTHING to get rid of this, even surgery if that's what it takes, but I would prefer a pain free method if there is one.

Any ideas?

Jo

Ashleigh

I've never heard of loose skin retracting unfortunately, i thought that once you had it, the only way to get rid was by having it removed surgically. I suppose it depends on how loose it is and how much the skin has been stretched, and how much elasticity/collagen?/ability to repair itself it has.

Mileana

It depends, Defren on the amount of stretch marks you might have with it.

For me the only option will be surgery - I need my BMI down to 27, and then the rule is that I must have at least 2 inches of overhang/apron for it to be doable on the (Danish) NHS for free. I suspect the UK rules will be similar. I must keep a stable weight in this range for 6 months before surgery. The additional rules revolve around having lost at least 15 BMI points. The possible problems are that having MH issues and diabetes might prove a problem, but as both are well controlled, I don't suspect it will be an issue.

There are various types of surgery depending on the amount of loose skin - for me, I will need a 360 procedure. For others, it will be a local problem at the very front of the tummy, in which case a bikini incision would be enough.

The only semi-effective things I have heard about is vitamin E cream or pregnant-tummy cream, but I think it is limited what can be done. It has to do with small tears etc in the skin so that it becomes less elastic over time - this process is not really reversible judging by all the things I have looked at. I do find that massaging the area can help a bit - it's as if the circulation improvements somehow help.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Defren :)

Two years, are you sure it is not 9 months.

Roy. :)

Defren

izzzi said:
Hi, Defren :)

Two years, are you sure it is not 9 months.

Roy. :)

I'm too old for the nine month weight gain Roy. :lol: I will be 47 in January. Even if I were 10 years younger, that would still not be an option. I will await grandbabies I think.

Hi Mileana,

This problem has only very recently started. I lost 90lbs with not an inch of loose skin, or at least if there was anything it was so mild as not to be noticeable. Now I have no loose skin apart from my abdomen. The irony of it all is the tummy fat just wouldn't shift. It was clinging on after all the rest had gone. I was telling someone yesterday, I have a stick thin daughter (13) and my legs fit into her trousers, my legs are as small as hers, yet not the tiniest amount of excess skin, the same applies on my face, neck and arms.

At the moment I would need minor surgery I suspect, but with around 15-20lbs still to lose I suspect the loose skin may get a little worse. At the moment I don't have an apron, it's more just all over the abdomen, just hanging!

Reading up suggests keeping well hydrated which I do anyway, and also daily exfoliation to get the blood going well again, and a liberal coating of aloe vera gel. I always have aloe vera in, so have slathered that on after my shower where I gave it hell with a scrunchie and some exfoliating shower beads. Another thing I read which kind surprised me, kind of didn't was to eat coconut oil. I eat coconut oil every day due to it's healthful properties, but didn't know it can help with the elasticity of skin.

Exercise doesn't help unless you want to build muscle under the skin to fill it out, and I don't. My kids say I should be a female body builder, I say they need a slap. :lol:

Over and over the advice is keep hydrated, look after the skin and have patience. I have no idea if we can have this surgery on the NHS I doubt it very much, so it could be a private operation, and I haven't looked at the cost and how long I would have to stay in hospital, as I would prefer a non surgical route if possible, but I will have surgery if that's what it comes to, so hubby can dig deep for Christmas this year. :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I trhink a lot depends on your age. For most people over 40, the skin only tightens up slowly and not perfectly.
Being well over 40 myself, I can attest that loose skin is a problem.
Hana

Fraddycat

What about Bio Oil? Its supposed to heal scars so may have some kind of regenerative properties - not tried it myself, just a thought,and cheaper than a tummy tuck :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I so want to make a joke about when your boobs reach your navel, its time for surgery....................but I may be thought heartless.

So: It takes time for the collagen to regenerate. As I remember, you lost the last bit in a rush, so it could take a bit longer. How many children have you had?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
lucylocket61 said:
I so want to make a joke about when your boobs reach your navel, its time for surgery...

Mine are at my knees. Have I missed the opportunity to fix 'em?

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Im 40, lost 8 stone and two years on my loose skin is still bad, and it hasnt changed (as in shrunk back) doctor says that cant have skin removel under public health system (in NZ) and i would have to go private, the cost is thousands!, so im just going to have to live with it.....and mine is as bad as it gets! i have to be covered from elbows to knees :(

Defren

Angela(NZ) said:
Im 40, lost 8 stone and two years on my loose skin is still bad, and it hasnt changed (as in shrunk back) doctor says that cant have skin removel under public health system (in NZ) and i would have to go private, the cost is thousands!, so im just going to have to live with it.....and mine is as bad as it gets! i have to be covered from elbows to knees :(

I feel guilty moaning about it now, but maybe by bringing this subject up people who are losing weight will not feel so bad talking about it should it happen to them. I could easily wear shorts and a vest top and no one would see anything, as it really is all around the middle. Someone did put it into perspective a bit when they said (not verbatim) that our loose skin is a reflection of our lives, having babies and then loosing weight, that made me feel a lot better.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting topic - I'm glad you posted this!

I've noticed I'm starting to get some loose skin as I lose weight and I'm kinda glad my weight loss has hit a plateau so I can control it better and lose it more slowly. An ex partner of mine had issues with an eating disorder and went from a very large size down to a very small size very quickly and they were left with lots and lots of loose skin all over the body.... I'm not sure any creams or lotions can really help all that much - they didn't help my partner. But like others have said, time will improve it and if not, maybe surgery is your best option. I wish you luck anyhow defren (although you're not here as I write this due to recent events). I hope you manage to get a solution that you're happy with.