Hot Flushes and Diabetes

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am wondering about menopausal symptoms and Diabetes/blood sugar levels.

Before I was diagnosed I suffered dreadfully with hot flushes every 10 minutes or so during the day, and waking me up in the night.

In the past few months, with the low-ish carbing (about 80g a day) they have almost stopped.

Co-incidence?

I should mention that I have only recently become menopausal, in the last year, so its not been long.

Mushroom

Hi - good question. I am 51 and am through the menopause. I haven't had many problems with hot flushes. Luckily they have been fairly mild, just a bit of a glow really. Used to wake up and start sweating and leave puddles in the bed but put that down to the stress of the job! The flushes have tailed off and I get mini ones a couple of times a week. I was diagnosed in May and been low-carbing but have not noticed any real difference as they seemed to be tailing off anyway.
What I was getting round to saying is that I asked the DSN what she thought about the menopause and obesity. My reasoning was that fat stored the oestrogen and that allowed someone who was obese to be protected against the wild swings of the menopause. She thought it was actually the other way - that obese women tended to get more symptoms. I know you weren't really referring to obesity, just low-carbing (and I don't listen much to my DSN's advice) but would be interested in what other women think. Does being overwight cause more menopause symptoms?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
lucylocket61 said:
I am wondering about menopausal symptoms and Diabetes/blood sugar levels.

Before I was diagnosed I suffered dreadfully with hot flushes every 10 minutes or so during the day, and waking me up in the night.

In the past few months, with the low-ish carbing (about 80g a day) they have almost stopped.

Co-incidence?

I should mention that I have only recently become menopausal, in the last year, so its not been long.

Not coincidental lucy ... and you're lucky to have started low carbing now because I think you'll have an easier meno because of it. I think we suffer far more complications of diabetes than have yet been discovered and the way we go through menopause can be so different if we're undiagnosed diabetic as well. We say we've 'started' the menopause, but that's not strictly true, it's an ongoing and gradual process. I KNOW I was undiagnosed diabetic as far back as my 30s because of the symptoms I had back then and I think that had a knock on effect on the rest of my hormones. I began with irregular periods at 39, not realising I was in the change, and that dragged on for the next ten years and to be honest, I don't even want to remember those years, they were horrendous. Many symptoms that women experience are put down to the menopause when there could be underlying undiagnosed causes which actually are BRINGING the menopause on. When I complained of urinary urgency and frequency I was simply told by the practice nurse that 'this happens with menopausal women, the bladder becomes weak and oversensitive.'

How strange then, that since starting Metformin, changing my diet, that my BS has come down and my need to pee every five minutes stopped almost immediately?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I had horrendous periods for about 15 years, which I now believe were caused by too much oestrogen from my fat. Eventually diagnosed as dysmenorrhoea, which translates as "you are having bad periods but we don't know why" :roll:

Eventually I had the Mirena coil fitted - progesterone-loaded - which stopped my periods altogether. Bliss! I found out about it via the Radio Times, and had to ask for it - the consultant couldn't offer it to me even though she knew it would work! It was only licensed for contraception at the time. By the time it was removed I had gone through the menopause and come out the other side without a single symptom.

If anyone is having a bad menopause it might be worth discussing progesterone treatment with your GP. It was researched by Dr Katherine Dawson in the 1950s. And the Mirena is now licensed for control of heavy menstruation and maybe (?) for the menopause. You can only ask!

Remember, I am not a qualified HCP; this is my experience only.

Viv 8)

Edit: I wasn't diabetic then.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
viviennem said:
I had horrendous periods for about 15 years, which I now believe were caused by too much oestrogen from my fat. Eventually diagnosed as dysmenorrhoea, which translates as "you are having bad periods but we don't know why" :roll:

Eventually I had the Mirena coil fitted - progesterone-loaded - which stopped my periods altogether. Bliss! I found out about it via the Radio Times, and had to ask for it - the consultant couldn't offer it to me even though she knew it would work! It was only licensed for contraception at the time. By the time it was removed I had gone through the menopause and come out the other side without a single symptom.

If anyone is having a bad menopause it might be worth discussing progesterone treatment with your GP. It was researched by Dr Katherine Dawson in the 1950s. And the Mirena is now licensed for control of heavy menstruation and maybe (?) for the menopause. You can only ask!

Remember, I am not a qualified HCP; this is my experience only.

Viv 8)

Edit: I wasn't diabetic then.

It's good to hear you've felt the benefit of progesterone therapy - anyone who thinks the menopause is a doddle for women because it's 'a natural occurrence' should try it for themselves. It can actually be a very dangerous time of life for women, which if women were made aware of, I'm sure they'd know better how to take care of themselves at that time of life.

I'm now what's considered post menopausal after years of problems which I thought had finally ended. But I've had to have two hysteroscopies in less than a year and have been offered a hysterectomy, which I can't face at the moment, a progesterone coil which sounds like the one you're describing, or progesterone tablets. I opted for the tablets because I don't feel strong enough at the moment to face a hysterectomy and as I have problems with allergic reactions I felt I'd probably reject the coil anyway and end up back and forth to hospital to have it adjusted etc. I've got the tablets, but before I start taking them and adding something else for my liver to cope with, I'm trying out a natural progesterone cream which absorbs straight into the cells via the skin.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I right in thinking that insulin affects hormones, or is a hormone?

I tried progesterone therapy for a few years due to horrendous PMT in my 30's. But it made me worse :(

And, while we are on this subject, I had got my first period for 10 months. I thought periods just stopped?
I am 50.

any good book recommendations? Maybe I should find out more about this change.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eventually they do stop, but they can be erratic for quite some time beforehand :(

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
lucylocket61 said:
Am I right in thinking that insulin affects hormones, or is a hormone?

I tried progesterone therapy for a few years due to horrendous PMT in my 30's. But it made me worse :(

And, while we are on this subject, I had got my first period for 10 months. I thought periods just stopped?
I am 50.

any good book recommendations? Maybe I should find out more about this change.

Yes, insulin is a hormone, so is oestrogen and progesterone. Our bodies are run by hormones so the phrase 'hormone driven' is quite true. If one hormone level begins to drop, the other hormones can overwork to try to make up the slack. This is why many women who begin the change, also develop health problems because of the change in oestrogen and progesterone levels. The body is a clock, all the organs tick at their own rate because of their hormones, so when we drop a hormone level, one part isn't ticking quite as well as the rest and that then slows the other organs down.

Menopause freuently doesn't just start and stop, it's an ongoing process and begins well before we are told it does. Some women do stop abruptly without any irregular or missed periods, but not usually.

The average woman can begin to experience 'period problems' in her 30's, this is often as a result of hormones beginning to fluctuate and is called the perimenopause but your GP may not explain it that way as it can be scary for younger women to think they're entering the meno. Women can go perhaps several months without a period then suddenly have one, then miss one, have one, miss a few, have one etc. So it's a gradual tailing off which can take several years as it did in my case. I began fluctuating at 39, and had my last at 50. Women are said to have 'finished' the menopause when they've gone TWO YEARS without a period. Any blood loss after that is called 'post menopausal bleeding' and should be reported to your GP.

This website is excellent - it's called Minnie Pauz and it's full of good experience and advice from women approaching, going through or coming out of 'the change'. It's informative but most of all it's HYSTER-ICALLY FUNNY (hystero means womb in latin) and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly - better than any book-

http://www.minniepauz.com/

Reactions: 2 people

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your GP may not explain it that way

my GP has said sweet nothing about it, ever. I asked her about the hot flushes a few months before diagnosis for Diabetes. The whole conversation, ever, about menopause:

Me: I keep going hot and then very cold for no reason.

Doctor: probably your age, how old are you?

Me: just turned 50

Doctor: are you still having periods

Me: well, I havent had one this month (this was in Feb)

Doctor: well, you are either pregnant, or its the menopause.

Me: should I have my hormone levels tested?

Doctor: No point, at your age. You are probably menopausal and there is nothing we can do about that, so lets not bother.

End of conversation. At that stage, as those on here can tell you, I was far more of a doormat than I am now.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Personal experience only of course, I would highly recommend a hysterectomy. I had severe problems. Had a hysterectomy vaginally (sorry all those who are sensitive). No problems after and FREEDOM. I did go through the menopause a few years after. And as I've said before - put on weight round my middle, then a few years later became diabetic. Still freedom from all that pain was great.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why would I need/want a hysterectomy? as I said, low-carbing seems to have stopped my hot flushes.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
dawnmc said:
Personal experience only of course, I would highly recommend a hysterectomy. I had severe problems. Had a hysterectomy vaginally (sorry all those who are sensitive). No problems after and FREEDOM. I did go through the menopause a few years after. And as I've said before - put on weight round my middle, then a few years later became diabetic. Still freedom from all that pain was great.

The thing is with me ... I've never had any pain but because of very, very slight post meno bleeding, I've been diagnosed with complex hyperplasia without atypia which means it's not malignant but could go on to pre-cancerous and because of my age and no need for a womb any longer I was advised to have a hysterectomy. At my present state of health, I don't feel I could handle a major op, one C section was enough for me and that was when I was 34 years younger than I am now. So I opted for the tablets but I'm trying out progesterone cream which I buy myself because the NHS won't prescribe it.

I'm getting to grips with the diabetes and diet and feeling much better than I have for decades so I want the change in BS to have a chance to work its magic because I think it may have a knock on effect on the gynae prob.

In your case though, for severe period probs, I'd opt for the hysterectomy too.

MAMA2X

OMG I HAVE JUST BEEN READING ALL THE COMMENTS AND I HAD NEVER MADE THE CONNECTION BETWEEN MY IRRATIC PERIODS AND HOT FLUSHES THAT I HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR COUPLE OF YEARS I AM 49, AND DIABETES. THINGS ALL SEEM TO MAKE SENSE NOW HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSES TYPE 2 IN SEPTEMBER AND TAKE METFORMIN AND STARTED LOW CARB HIGH FAT DIET SINSE READING EVERYONE'S COMMENTS ON HEAR. I FEEL GREAT AMAZING IN FACT.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was initially diagnosed diabetic in Nov 2010 and put on Metformin my periods went a bit sparse and lighter. On mentioning this to the practice nurse (who deals with diabetics) and asking if the Metformin was the cause since they prescribe it for PCOS (causing periods to stop sometimes but helps with ovulation). She said they didn't prescribe it for PCOS now so that wouldn't be it (how the tablet knows though I've no idea) and that it was 'my age' (I was 46). :crazy:
Onto earlier this year and my periods had settled back to a more normal routine again when my glucose levels started to rise and rise. My Metformin dose was increased to maximum and guess what my periods stopped again!!
By August and a referral to a Consultant saw me tested for GAD antibodies and an official diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. So straight off the Metformin and onto insulin.
By the end of September I had a period and then 27 days later the October one arrived. So I guess I can now pre-empt once again when they will be and it's not yet 'my age' after all :wink:
May be worth bearing this in mind any of you ladies on Metformin.

I also think I have read somewhere (not sure where) that soya products can help with hot flushes, or did I dream this? If I find it I will post it.
Edit: found it... http://www.wddty.com/hrt-alternatives.html

Regards
Angie

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
MAMA2X said:
OMG I HAVE JUST BEEN READING ALL THE COMMENTS AND I HAD NEVER MADE THE CONNECTION BETWEEN MY IRRATIC PERIODS AND HOT FLUSHES THAT I HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR COUPLE OF YEARS I AM 49, AND DIABETES. THINGS ALL SEEM TO MAKE SENSE NOW HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSES TYPE 2 IN SEPTEMBER AND TAKE METFORMIN AND STARTED LOW CARB HIGH FAT DIET SINSE READING EVERYONE'S COMMENTS ON HEAR. I FEEL GREAT AMAZING IN FACT.

Good to hear you're feeling great Mama ... :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
There are 2 hormones they can easily check for - simple blood test - to see whether or not you're through the menopause. If I remember rightly, these are "luteinising protein" and "follicle stimulating hormone" - can someone with better medical knowledge correct that for me if necessary, please?

They tested me after I'd had the Mirena removed to check my menopausal status, and as I said above, I was through it without a single problem.

As far as I know, these checks are not expensive - I was offered them by my practice, without so much as a blink.

Viv 8)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
You can buy Menopause Testing Kits on Amazon and other online shops. There are various types available from £11 downwards in price for anyone who doesn't want to ask the doctor for one, or whose doctor deems them 'too young' to be going through the menopause.

For anyone who wants to check it out just put 'menopause hormone test kit' into the Google searchbar and a whole lot of them will come up. Some may be available at local pharmacies but I'm not sure.

Here's a useful link about meno - http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/fshtests.aspx

I know that many, many women go through the menopause at the right time, at the right age, and without any problems or at least, very few problems whatsoever. But the fact remains that some women don't have that experience and can be diagnosed with all sorts of 'peripheral' problems which they end up taking medication for, when if they'd had a menopause test and received the appropriate hormone treatment, may prevent a lot of misdiagnoses. My GP felt I was too young to be in the menopause and so he sent me down the 'depression' pathway and I had many treatments for that, which incidentally, didn't work because the underlying problem was hormone imbalance.

I'd urge women who may suspect they're in peri or menopause not to bury their heads in the sand, get a test and then they can deal with it appropriately.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I agree with Grace completely - too few people seem to know about the perimenopause. I'd probably have been saved 15 years of he**ish heavy periods, plus drugs that put weight on me, if any one of a series of consultants had bothered to test my hormone levels in the first place! Instead they just treated me for endometriosis, and it took a gay male nurse with an ultrasound scan, 15 years later, to demonstrate that I didn't have it :shock:

"not a chocolate cyst in sight, ducky" (I quote - bless him!).

I think I will never forgive the NHS for that 15 years and 5 stone.

Viv 8)

shop

I noticed some changes about 6 month ago. Mainly that when I was having a pill break I would have much heavier bleeding and the fact that my BG would plummet. Resulting in me struggling to adjust my insulin in time. I was having 2/3 hypos a day for about a week and a half every 3 weeks. I also had other symptoms which I thought could be the menopause. My GP was most unhelpful. I eventualy saw a different GP who simply told me to take my pill differently. 4 packs in a row whick reduced considerable my pill breaks. It has worked. Now I have had the time to work out my insulin to carb ratios without the constant messing around trying to avoid hypos.

This may not suit everyone but has worked for me. :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
viviennem said:
I agree with Grace completely - too few people seem to know about the perimenopause. I'd probably have been saved 15 years of he**ish heavy periods, plus drugs that put weight on me, if any one of a series of consultants had bothered to test my hormone levels in the first place! Instead they just treated me for endometriosis, and it took a gay male nurse with an ultrasound scan, 15 years later, to demonstrate that I didn't have it :shock:

"not a chocolate cyst in sight, ducky" (I quote - bless him!).

I think I will never forgive the NHS for that 15 years and 5 stone.

Viv 8)

Likewise, Viv, I will never forgive the NHS for a lot of things where my health is concerned. Just like there are people who feel we bring diabetes on ourselves because we're greedy, there are those who believe the menopause is 'just a normal event and we should get on with it and shut up moaning'. I not only had several years of heavy periods but I also had the mental problems that happen as a result of fluctuating hormones - constant brain fog, memory loss to the point that I literally couldn't remember what year it was, never mind the date - I had to go out and buy a newspaper to find out what year we were in! I had all the signs of dementia or alzheimers and was genuinely petrified for about 15 years because I just could not THINK clearly, was erratic, made bad decisions, couldn't sleep and felt suicidal. Anyone who wants to tell me that's a normal life event and to get on with it, should try it for themselves. I only gradually started to feel better once my periods stopped completely and I feel even better since diagnosed diabetic and changed diet and meds. But to be honest my 40s and 50s I'd rather not remember because they were so awful.

I think the time of the menopause when we're having irregular periods is the problem, because our hormones are up and down like a roller coaster and I only came to realise just HOW MUCH we are driven by hormones, when I went into the change. We like to think we run our own lives with our mind - after hormone imbalance, we realise we don't, our hormones run our lives for us. That goes for men too, but men's bodies are differently designed and aren't subject to neverending changes like periods, pregnancy, post pregnancy, perimenopause, menopause. Lucky men!