Statins

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also vote NOT.

If I die because I didn't take a statin, then my doctor is free to come and tell my grave, "I told you so!"

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Some people get on with them okay, some don't. I don't, and I won't take them.

The list of possible side-effects I heard on the BBC this morning didn't include "are also suspected of causing Type 2 diabetes in some cases" - or similar :D

I hope the media runs with this one - it's time it was brought out into the open. Everyone needs the best possible information.

Viv 8)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped taking them, they made my cholesterol level too low. Cholesterol is needed for taking Vitamin D around your body.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
PlymouthDave said:
Another day, another scare! Should we take them or not?

I wouldn't say either way Dave and it's up to the individual to make that choice, you could if you have some concerns contact The British Heart Foundation and speak with someone there, here is their website:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/#&panel1-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My medical record now says, "Intolerant of statins" after being crippled twice and being sent to the physio on a third occasion because my whole body went rigid.

I vote NO.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
STATINS = slow death + profit

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried two, didnt like them, was offered a third and told doc didnt want and not taking them, so a bit NO from me as well and after the news this morning am really glad I did.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noblehead said;

I wouldn't say either way Dave and it's up to the individual to make that choice, you could if you have some concerns contact The British Heart Foundation and speak with someone there, here is their website:

one can only make that choice based on unbiased information. It is important to find neutral studies. The British Heart Foundation is sponsored (in part) by Flora pro-active. It is not unbiased.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a risk profile that suggests you are at high risk of a heart attack, then, in my opinion yes I think that you should.
My OH, his brother and sister all do and are alive. Their family history suggests that they might not be without i them.

I have taken them to reduce very high cholesterol on diagnosis and would have no hesitation about taking them again if need be.
Read around but try to read all sides of the question, reading only one side just reinforces your opinions,

Re the BHF and sponsorship.
http://www.bhf.org.uk/about-us/our-poli ... anies.aspx
You will also find a long and varied thread about statins on their discussion forum and other info on their main website.

philc

lucylocket61 said:
Noblehead said;

one can only make that choice based on unbiased information. It is important to find neutral studies. The British Heart Foundation is sponsored (in part) by Flora pro-active. It is not unbiased.

I gave up statins and will never take these drugs again. My cholesterol is now up to a healthy level and I'm happy.
Interestingly, my DSN gave me a booklet from the BHF and within are comments and cartoon style pictures suggesting that saturated fat clogs up arteries, much like flushing fat down a sink would likely cause a blockage. There has never been any evidence that this is correct but such propaganda promotes the myth and the BHF are indeed very keen promoters of this myth. The booklet from BHF contained not a single reference to any medical study or research.

With substantial funding from both drug and food companies, it is not an organisation that I trust.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Google Stephanie Seneff - How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work, for a good explanation.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your levels are fine, then hopefully, no problem. This isn't the case with everyone .

Sponsors for the BHF
both drug and food companies,
really, check their sponsors, yes there are food companies but no pharmaceutical companies
http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/how- ... tners.aspx
Clogged arteries? 0n their website no mention of this, just a factual account of how heart disease develops. http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/cond ... sease.aspx

Council members most of whom probably have a lot more knowledge of heart disease, its's causes, treatment and prevention than anyone on here
http://www.bhf.org.uk/about-us/who-we-a ... mbers.aspx

If you look some references on the site research though agree not obvious but I suggest most people don't look for these things.