Did any of you type 1s have a virus before you got diabetes?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hello again all. I've been doing some research to learn more about type 1 diabetes and why I suddenly got it at age 22 seemingly out of nowhere. It is in my family so I am sure it is very likely that it's just random genetic bad luck. However... I read that there was a virus similar to meningitis that, if you are genetically susceptible to diabetes, CAN trigger an auto-immune response where the body attacks it's own pancreas beta cells AKA type 1 diabetes!

I did some more research into the virus, and while I cannot remember the name, it is a certain mild "type" of the virus which can trigger the response. I do know this virus can turn into meningitis if you are unlucky. Anyway, I know it's a long shot, but when I started to remember the past year or so... my boyfriend and I both had a virus at one point with identical symptoms to the one that can trigger type 1 diabetes.

It presents itself as mild flu like symptoms, tiredness/fatigue, sleeping a lot, feel weak, loss of appetite, and most of all, a red dot pinprick RASH on the wrists, tummy and sometimes armpits. It is also contagious. We both had this rash and I was terrified it was something bad. My boyfriend walked into the hospital we live next to, and they confirmed that it was a simple viral rash and nothing to worry about. It also in most cases, clears up by itself within 1-2 weeks. Which it did for both of us.

I'll never know if this virus indeed triggered my type 1 diabetes. Because I do recall that it was only a couple months after this that I started to get the symptoms. It is definitely something to think about.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Did any of you type 1s have a virus before you got diabe

Don't recall having a virus prior to being diagnosed with diabetes :think:

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I didn't know it was a specific virus that can prompt the immune reaction that causes type1 diabetes - I thought it was a general thing, that any virus can make it happen.... interesting.

I've never figured out if I had a virus. I'm not sure when they have to happen to have an effect either... I say this because as soon as I was born I got a major virus and that's the only thing my mum and I can think would be related... so basically my point is, I don't know. :lol:

malky

I was the same I became type 1 at 20, 8 years ago, there is no history in the family. It was suggested by the doctors that i could have caught a virus which cause the development of type 1 in me

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Yes I can say without doubt that my Son at Christmas 1999 had a very bad virus, sick, diarrhoea, loss of appetite and in January noticed loss of weight, lehargic, drinking and weeing a lot and it was then he was diagnosed with diabetes. So we have put his case down to the virus.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I remember having a flu-like virus over Christmas and was diagnosed Type 1 by the end of Feb. Don't remember the specifics of the virus as it was some time ago ;)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hello Catsymoo.

I am told I am type2...

In 2009 end of feb, I was rushed into hospital with pneumonia then
ended up with a septis infection.
Was drinking and on loo loads, tired beyond belief .
Lost almost 2 stone - we thought it all was with being so ill etc...

Had blood tests done early nov 2009 as wasnt feeling well - called in by doctors was told diabetic :shock:
I was blazing - as had battled my way back after so much illness then to be hit with diabetes.

Since then NO tablet meds would get my BG levels down at all.
So feb 2010 started using insulin therapy.

I personally do think and feel the illnesses impacted and did something !
My DSN and consultant both say this 'is' a possibilty.
In one way they sort of agree this is the case - yet in another way
we will never 'really' know, if it DID do... :?

Anna.

shop

I have heard alot of people say that they had had a virus prior to diagnosis. I did'nt have a virus, however I had hyperthyroid 6 yrs before then treated with RI treatment then went hypothyroid. Also had a large baby 11 months prior to diagnosis and a fairly stressful pregnancy. I do think that there are more than 1 reason for getting both T1 and T2.

Lucy xxx

Reactions: TDavies

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

The coxsackie virus is supposed to resemble the beta cell. One theory is that when the defence system of the body attacks these cells it also, inadvertently attacks the beta cells.
I read one paper that really struck a chord with me. It suggested that attacks of this virus would reduce beta cell function. After attack there would be fewer working beta cells but some would regenerate .Repeated attacks though would result in there being too few beta cells left to keep glucose levels low.
The coxsackie virus is responsible for hand, foot and mouth disease. This is a mild illness very common in young children. I must have had a lot of contact with it in my career as a primary school teacher. It certainly impressed me as a possible cause of my diabetes (perhaps I genetically had fewer B cells so was susceptible). It certainly accounted for the staggered loss of beta cell function I think I experienced.
To be honest it was of more interest when first diagnosed so iId have to search to find the references.
Now I tend to look to the future.

Reactions: 2 people

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

I've had a flu like virus every year for the last four years and I had it again in January and it turned out to be pneumonia. Two years ago I developed a strange rash all over my body, itchy hives which just got bigger and bigger and merged into huge hives. That was angioedema and from that I went into anaphylactic shock and nearly died several times. I now carry an Epipen adrenalin needle in case it happens again. I was 10 months with that rash and I'm only now beginning to NOT itch all over. Yet all the doctors I saw couldn't tell me what caused it.

Because I've done my own research I know that the itching and swelling was also happening INSIDE my body, it wasn't just a skin problem, it was definitely auto-immune. That was 2010. This year I was diagnosed with diabetes, but I was told I was borderline over 20 years ago.

I definitely felt that my body was attacking itself and I believe my organs were slowly shutting down, I felt more dead than alive to be honest and I couldn't have cared less if I didn't wake up in the morning.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I didn't have a virus but had the BCG vaccination about 2 weeks before I developed Diabetes at the age of 16. I seem to remember reading that the BCG had been linked with the development of type 1 diabetes but don't know if this was the cause or not.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

cally said:
I didn't have a virus but had the BCG vaccination about 2 weeks before I developed Diabetes at the age of 16. I seem to remember reading that the BCG had been linked with the development of type 1 diabetes but don't know if this was the cause or not.
I've seen it linked as a remedy rather than a cause.
Denise Faustman is researching a 'cure' for T1 using the BCG vaccine.
Many people on US forums have great faith in the idea and have donated lots of money for the research.
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... -diabetes/
Personally, I have great doubts. BCG was given routinely in the UK (not the US) , no less incidence of T1.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I recall very well the virus that was supposedly the cause of my diabetes. Flu-like symptoms and a really bad cough. Three or so weeks later and I had diabetes. Nightmare.

Fallenstar

Hi Cat's

All anecdotal of course, but I got mine late teens after a REALLY bad horses riding fall, laid up for a few weeks recovering ,then the Sh!t really hit the fan a few weeks after, weight just fell off me ,already thin, thirsty beyond belief, grinding tiredness. Collapsed ,rushed in to Hospital and diagnosed Type 1...late teens.

I was talking to a 40 something Type 1 last year ,we were both having the ACTH test for Addisons, she was telling me she had just been diagnosed with Type 1 along with two other women at around the same time who were of a similar age...no LADA, straight into Type 1, all three women were from the same area,a tiny rural village, Bless she was tiny, like a child. They thought it was the same virus which had caused the Diabetes with all three women, all were in their late 30's 40's....All were straight into Type 1.

She said that the Endo had all the student Doctors come in to see her because they had not had a case at her age, straight into Type 1, for ten years...then they had three of em...bit like a 47 bus :roll:

Years ago I spoke to an ex Army guy that told me about a Squaddie who broke his leg and when it had healed he just started staying in the Barracks, would never get out of his bed...he said he got real sick and thin and everyone thought he was still healing, skiving maybe :roll: and he was depressed, he ended up Type 1 and his Dr said it was on the back of the shock of his injury....Oh, so many theories. I reckon it was my Dodgy Thyroid and WHEAT with me, and maybe the fall was the final straw. Anyway what ever the trigger, it's Sh!t, but it's here to stay, so onwards and upwards!

Good question

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hey Catsymoo!

I had a flu like virus and very bad cough. Ended up in bed for a week and felt so tired. I'd never felt as bad in my life. That was in the February. In September of the same year I was diagnosed with diabetes. I've always felt the two were linked, but I guess I'll never really know for sure.

Smidge

poppyblackcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Yes! I had bad flu seven years ago, loss of appetite, lethargic, felt terrible...don't think I had a rash though.. It wouldn't go away and so I went to the doctor and then I was diagnosed type 1.

Still trying to suss it all out now!

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes

How creepy, a lot of us seem to recall having a virus. And yeah it is Coxsackie or maybe I spelled that wrong. But that's definitely the name of it! Sadly, this would ONLY apply to type 1s/auto-immune reaction, since type 2 isn't the same thing.

It is my belief that if you are genetically susceptible, you are probably gonna get it anyway. But I did read that a lack of vitamin D can also be a factor in "activating" type 1 diabetes. Funny since I spent most my teen years indoors, up all night sleeping in the day. :(

In my opinion, I do think it is better you get it when you are younger. You have more time to get it under control while your organs are stronger and younger, if that makes sense.

Although the other argument is, I would have rather had 45 years of limitless chocolate portions. I miss stuffing it in until I wanna throw up. lol! :) My first diabetic Christmas will be a nightmare. I am so used to eating chocolate all day and then not wanting my xmas dinner later because of chocolate overdose.

Adele99

Was diagnosed a DB type 1 about 7 months after having a bad flu virus. Not in my family going back at least 3 generations, but there is autoimmune disrders in my family, so wondered about that ?

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi
I was diagnosed age 7 in 1964. Apparently I had measles, recovered from that then came out in another rash shortly after. Dr told my mam it was measles again. Shortly after that diabetes symptons kicked in. No-one else in my family had diabetes Type1 or TYpe 2 so it would seem mine was caused by a virus.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi All.
Can I just say I have found this thread and debate sooooo helpful
to myself.

I was very poorly as a child and was kept indoors to recuperate etc....
Heart repair and ruebella affected .
Nearly lost my life to whooping cough as a little girl .

Both my mother and grandmother never pushed my poor appetite further
than I could ever manage.
On poorly days I could have whatever I did or didnt fancy plus the lucozade !

As a result looking back at my teenage years I ate so little and when felt
weaker with hunger would use chocolate as a quick fix...

Even now I simply cant tollerate a breakfast at all.
Have 2 strong coffees each morning to get me going then will eat a lite bite lunch
lunchtime .

Brilliant topic and posts here, extremely helpful to myself.
Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Anna.