Feeling cold all the time

jayjay1963

Does anyone else feel cold all the time? I'm Type 2 on 750mg of Metformin and usually tolerate the cold very well. Since the recent drop in temperatures I have been unable to get warm at any time of the day. I can't drink hot drinks of any kind, don't like the taste or resulting indigestion! Is this normal or "just me"?

Jacqui

SweetHeart

You could ask your GP to check your thyroid function. People who suffer with underactive thyroids (hypothyroidism) can't regulate their own body temperature so they feel cold all the time. I think I'm right in saying that the same people will often be diabetics too.

Ju

Elc1112

Hi Jacqui. I am constantly cold, so it's definitely not just you! I've type 1 and have been since I was six years old. Thyroid is normal. No idea if its the diabetes causing it, I can't see how it would though. My partner always goes mad when he sees the gas and electricity bills. Now the temperature has dropped I have the heating on constantly (along with slipper socks and two blankets!). I often lie there shiverring at night. I'll have a big duvet and usually a blanket but I just can't get warm. I was in hospital earlier this year (for something completely unrelated) and the nurse remarked that I always felt cold to touch. One also said my normal temp is lower than many others, although still in the normal range (just). I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just cold hearted!! ;)

Few things that I have found have helped - goose feather duvet (apparently the feathers trap the heat), heated blanket (I sound like I'm 90 years old, don't I?!), big bowl or cup of soup, exercise (seems to help me regulate my temperature a bit better). M&S also do a range of clothing that they claims helps to keep you warm. I forget the name, body warmer or something like that. I bought a few of their tops and they do seem to keep you quite snug.

Em :)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
SweetHeart wrote
You could ask your GP to check your thyroid function. People who suffer with underactive thyroids (hypothyroidism) can't regulate their own body temperature so they feel cold all the time. I think I'm right in saying that the same people will often be diabetics too.

I would just add that you can be subclinically hypothyroid, and your GP may not detect it.

I half confirmed it by taking my basal body temperature i.e. first thing upon waking. Always low.
I then had to 'persuade' a GP to test for antibodies, and that test came back positive.
My GP didn't tell me I had hypyopthroidism. I told him.

SweetHeart is right about the two being linked.

Perhaps try leaving a thermometer next to your bed for starters. It may tell you something.

Geoff

sez1

i have just been diagnosed 1 week ago with type 2, have not had much luck since.. got a ear infection now in agony! but i was feeling really cold last night feet freezing and im normally really hot all the time but found its been since i started taking metformin maybe just coincidence. have found this site to be really helpful.. nice to know im not alone its all alot to take in at first.

sez