Disability Living Allowance.

Geezer654

Re: Disability Lving Allowance.

peter.c said:
i have type 1 with complications.
i do not get any warning signs when taking a hypo and i just collapse and become unconsious..
i had been getting dla for a number of years because i need somebody with me all the time.
i am at the moment going through an appeal as they say i am fit enough and dont meet the
requirements..my argument is if i was alone and collapsed in the street how long would i lie there until somebody phoned an ambulance.
if somebody was with me they could inject me with glucose to bring me round i have tried expaning all this to the dla but nobody seems to listen and i have to wait until a date is set for an appeal hearing.after waiting 15 months i finally have a hearing date.they also sent 1 of there drs to examine me at home and she couldnt understand why my dla had been stopped.i feel the goverment are targetting disabled people to claw back money on there cut backs which i feel is totally unfair..
peter

Hi Peter dealing with the fact you have no hypo symptoms must be hard to live with I know I spend most of my day trying to work out am I to high or to low so not being able to that must be frustration. Have you ever considered getting a dog for diabetes. They now train dogs to alert you if you are low. Here's a link to a website
http://www.dogs4diabetics.com/
I know it doesn't have much to do with dla but if they have stopped it you could see if they would fund one of these dogs for you. Anyway just a thought.
Good luck

Stonie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 41 and made a claim in 2011 for DLA, my claim was granted and will be reviewed in 2013, I only found out about it from a friend who claimed it from when she was a child, I have had type 1 for about 23 years and was put on a pump in 2010, the forms are very long and detailed the CAB will help fill the forms in.

cuttsy

it still amazes me that people with diabetes, without complications, would think they should get any benefits for it.
The only diabetics that should get any financial help are people who have developed serious complications and cannot control themselves, or actually qualify for disability, because they now have a disability .... or parents with young children who are diabetics and are too young to control themselves.

burnbrae

I have only had DLA for 2 years now and i am 67. Am type 2 Insulin dependant. I went to my local CAB office and everything was done for me. It is a good idea to take along your printed prescription slip as they send it with the forms. Luckily i was approaching 65 when i applied so just made the age limit as it seems over 65's do not get DLA, but if you get it before your 65 then it carries on after. I have Peripheral Neuropathy in both feet but am able to walk to a certain degree. I get high rate mobility and low rate care. I must say if it wasn't for the Citizens Advice it would be likely i didn't get DLA as the forms are a nightmare to fill in. It took an expert 3 hours to fill mine in. As others have said it's not having Diabetes in itself but other conditions which are not necessarily connected with diabetes. If in doubt go for it, you have nothing to lose. Also how are others getting on with the DVLA? I fought for a year to get my licence as it was revoked due to possible hypos. I had my taxi licence taken off me as i was a danger to other road users and my own passengers. I eventually got a restricted medical licence for a car but not for a taxi?? Seems i'm not a danger in a private car :***: .

I live in Dumfries & Galloway Health Board area and receive as many test strips, insulin, needles etc as i ask for and have never been refused. (I get 150 strips a time no matter when i apply for them.)

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello, I am on disability living allowance and have been now for 11 years and type 1 diabetes is on their list. With regard to claiming those who have been turned down this is not uncommon in first applications, my advice is to appeal 65% of cases that go to appeal are approved.

With regard to filling in the application bear in mind that they want to know information when you are at your worst in health, not dying but how you are on a bad day so tell them that. Always include times when people or relatives have to do things for you such as reminding you of when your meds are due etc. It is true that DLA is one of the hardest benefits to get but it is not impossible they make it difficult to weed those out who are not entitled. Another thing to bear in mind that if someone is caring for you many hours of the day they may be entitled to carers allowance. If the admins approve I will do a sticky regarding DLA for information.

I hope this helps answer some questions

Simon aka Cobra3164

Ashleigh

cuttsy said:
it still amazes me that people with diabetes, without complications, would think they should get any benefits for it.
The only diabetics that should get any financial help are people who have developed serious complications and cannot control themselves, or actually qualify for disability, because they now have a disability .... or parents with young children who are diabetics and are too young to control themselves.
:clap:

Reactions: 2 people

glenmoray

When filling out the form put down how diabetes affects his/ hers condition at the worst possible time. The DLA only pay out if your son or daughter are severly affected by their diabetes.so will most likely give you the least possible payout.

Billyp

I am insulin dependant and have never claimed. When I was a Jobcentreplus adviser I dealt with all benefits relating to health issues. In my opinion the only people who would probably get. DLA or Carers allowances would be children and parents or someone who had severe complications ie amputation or unexpected hypos. DLA and the questions contained in the forms relate to how you cope in and around the house. ie, Can you cook for yourself, wash or do the shopping. The benefit is and never was intended as an 'aid' to your dealing with your condition unless you were in severe difficulties. Diabetes is a condition that you manage and not a disease.

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is all very interesting!

I have an adopted daughter who gets the highest rate of DLA and has done for the last 5 years (she's not diabetic). Recently things became worse and she has been excluded from school because of her disability.... I am of course furious! :evil:

I have had to give up work to now care for her which I am seriously struggling with. I've had type 1 diabetes for 30 years and do have kidney complications.... which makes caring for a physically challenging child very difficult. I can care for her no problem if I can get some respite while she's at school..... but..... school can't cope!

What I'm basically saying is..... if your life has been seriously disrupted and every day is a challenge.... then DLA is a blessing and hugely helpful. It doesn't matter how many tablets you take or how many trips you take to the doc, it's how much help you need from the people around you... and if they can't be there, then there is money to pay for a carer to be with you to help!
:thumbup:

marinerbob

I wouldnt dream of trying to claim benefits for my type 1 diabetes far too many people look to the government for handouts.fair enough if you have serious complications but i get the impression some want to use it as an excuse to get hand outs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

marinerbob

I wouldnt dream of trying to claim benefits for my type 1 diabetes far too many people look to the government for handouts.fair enough if you have serious complications but i get the impression some want to use it as an excuse to get hand outs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

psampson

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a year ago. I have been so fatigued and have so much pain in my legs that I just couldn't perform my duties. I had to quit my job. Now I am in a financial mess. I can barely afford my medication. Do you think I could be eligible for DLA?

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi psampson.
It sounds like you need to apply for an NHS card to exclude you from having to pay for your prescriptions? Has none of the doctors or nurses explained this to you?
Are you under a consultant? If not, you need to ask if you can be referred. Neuropathy (which includes leg pain) can improve with good control, meds and diet. I was told high animal fats can heal your nerves..... BUT obviously I wouldn't recommend this if you are over weight.

You could apply for DLA, but it isn't a huge payout. It also takes a long time, notes and referrals will be asked for. For my daughter, we are under a number of different professionals which also helps. I've also had to give up work to care for her..... people don't understand that going out to work is a lot easier and I can get PAID! :wink:

Reactions: sandra curtis