POSITIVE REVIEW WITH DN

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I had an appointment today with my DN for the flu jab and I wasn't looking forward to it.

I was due for diabetic review next Monday so I asked her if she could do that today and I could cancel next week's appointment. So that's what she did.

First thing she asked me was had I ever had the pneumonia jab and I said I hadn't but that I'd been in hospital with something awful last January and didn't want it again. She confirmed that I'd had pneumonia and should have the jab. So I had both flu and pneumo jab today.

We went on to the diabetis review and I told her I was feeling so much better compared to 3 months ago and I noticed a smile on her face. I told her I was tolerating the Metformin well and that I'd joined a forum and learned a lot about my diabetes, tests, treatment, diet etc and that I was following LCHF diet. The smile grew bigger and she said the forum's are great for info and support from fellow diabetics and that she was pleased I was taking a proactive approach because, she said, many people don't show much interest in doing their own research. She could see the difference in me straight away, because it would be hard for anyone who knows me now and who knew me 3 months ago, NOT TO NOTICE.

So I felt pretty positive after that today, even though I don't have the blood results yet, I'm measuring myself by how I FEEL, and I FEEL lots better than I did 3 months ago. So that's good enough for me for now.

I'm off to Rosemary Conley's weight loss class tonight. They do a low carb high protein diet which might suit me, if it doesn't I'll tweak it until it DOES suit me, and I'm also going for the exercise, now that I've got enough energy to get my bum off the chair at last!

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well done Grace! Its brilliant that you've got such a neat DSN. Now don't forget to keep evangelising to her EVERY time you see her as that way she might pass on what you have so successively done to others. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grazer

Well done! Let us know your blood test rersults when you get them. Bet they're good!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That's good news Grace!
Your nurse sounds lovely
Hana

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I don't know if it's the Metformin, the mega doses of Vitamin D I've been taking lately, the Spirulina, the Multivitamins, the LCHF diet or the whole lot combined - but I feel great! The only thing I'm not happy with is my lack of significant weight loss. I did hope I'd continue to lose more but I lost half a stone and then stopped. But I do feel more 'alive' than 'dead' now. By that I mean that 3 months ago, I felt about 110 and I literally was dragging myself around and even a trip to the bathroom felt like climbing a mountain and my state of mind was absolutely awful.

Now I'm moving again, my muscles have energy, I even carried a few bags of shopping to the car today without having to stop and rest - so that's an ENORMOUS ACHIEVEMENT for me. So I know I'm 'alive' again - and it really is thanks to you lot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Forgot to mention, I also told my DN that I've gone back to eating butter, ditched milk and drink coffee with single cream. She said she likes her butter too and she loves cream. She hasn't got an ounce of fat on her!!! So there ya go! :thumbup:

Unbeliever

That's great Gracek, I would agree that its probably a combination of all these factors making you feel better.

Its good hat the hurse noticed the difference and appreciated the effort you had made, You have made great strides in a short period and will reachyour goals in time I am sure.

Another success for the forum!

Defren

I LOVE stories like this!! Well done Grace, you've shown what so many have done before you, taking control of your health is far and away the best route.

You have a brilliant DSN, treasure her, few of us manage a good let alone a great member of our HCT so when we do hang on for grim death, without her and this forum a grim death is what many diabetics face!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Keep hold of this fabulous DSN gracek the good ones are like gold dust !
Great news , you are doing fantastically well , am so pleased for you ... :clap:
Went to shops today grabbed the ' last one ' of pouring cream for my coffee's and -
found myself wondering if you lot had been in earlier grabbing the rest :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
anna29 said:
Keep hold of this fabulous DSN gracek the good ones are like gold dust !
Great news , you are doing fantastically well , am so pleased for you ... :clap:
Went to shops today grabbed the ' last one ' of pouring cream for my coffee's and -
found myself wondering if you lot had been in earlier grabbing the rest :lol:

Sussed ... it was me! :oops:

MaryJ

what a brilliant day you've had Grace

Re the weight loss , it'll happen. maybe up the drinking water a bit, if you're not already having plenty.

I know this isnt in the slightest bit scientific but I like to think of it washing the fat away lol

Mary x

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
MaryJ said:
what a brilliant day you've had Grace

Re the weight loss , it'll happen. maybe up the drinking water a bit, if you're not already having plenty.

I know this isnt in the slightest bit scientific but I like to think of it washing the fat away lol

Mary x

You could be right Mary, because I'm not drinking much at all now, which was actually a welcome change from being constantly thirsty and then running to the loo all the time. :)

Unbeliever

My DN reckons that is the exp;anation for slim T2s. She can't explain why there is no trace of sugar in my samples though!

Yes hold on to even a pleasant DN let alone a knowledgeable or helpful one. There are two in mty practice and their mission seems to be to catch patients out in some way. They positively HATE well-controlled diabetics!

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GraceK said:
Forgot to mention, I also told my DN that I've gone back to eating butter, ditched milk and drink coffee with single cream. She said she likes her butter too and she loves cream. She hasn't got an ounce of fat on her!!! So there ya go! :thumbup:

great news Grace... sadly, my DSN is obsessed with low fat and wholegrains and carbs with everything...

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
How often are you reviewed? That was my first since being diagnosed 3 months ago. Am I supposed to have one every 3 months or what? I suppose it will depend on the results of my first lot of bloods since diagnosis and whether I'm doing well or not. Ooooh that reminds me, I've to go pee in this nice little pot she gave me yesterday. I'm amazed at the gadgets they come up with nowadays, It's a plastic tub with measurements on it and a screw top with a hole in. There's a little test tube with it which I have to insert into the hole when I've done my bit and it automatically fills the test tube up. That should be fun. I think I'll wait until I'm wide awake.

Anyway, I may not have much else but I have at least got a pot to p*** in! :lol:

MaryJ

GraceK said:
Anyway, I may not have much else but I have at least got a pot to p*** in! :lol:

lol

I organised my own follow-up tests at 3 and 6 months.

the 3 month one was no issue as it was to see if I could continue on diet.

The 6 month one, the nurse asked why I was having them as the doctor hadnt requested them, i explained it was as I'd been low-carbing and I needed to make sure I wasn't having a detrimental effect on other aspects. She was cool with that and I rang the receptionist for the results.

I'm due my 12 month review in Dec and will arrange it myself. I don't expect them to be too up for 3 monthly next year but my nefrologist said I need 6 monthly bloods on discharging me from his clinic (not related to db) so they can't refuse them.

Mary x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi All.

Am asked to see the DSN at my GP's every 3 months, I self arrange these appt's
via the receptionists at my GP's.
It is only a very small practice so can always get an appt quickly.

At the hospital diabetes clinic I see my consultant and the DSN team leader every 4-6 months
depending on what is ongoing with my HbA1c results and my routine/therapy I use.

All things considered I feel happy with my clinics attendance and their ongoing appointment
systems.

Gracek your piddle pot sounds different - never heard of one like that before!
Yep you certainly 'have' got a pot to piddle in :lol:

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
anna29 said:
Hi All.

Am asked to see the DSN at my GP's every 3 months, I self arrange these appt's
via the receptionists at my GP's.
It is only a very small practice so can always get an appt quickly.

At the hospital diabetes clinic I see my consultant and the DSN team leader every 4-6 months
depending on what is ongoing with my HbA1c results and my routine/therapy I use.

All things considered I feel happy with my clinics attendance and their ongoing appointment
systems.

Gracek your piddle pot sounds different - never heard of one like that before!
Yep you certainly 'have' got a pot to piddle in :lol:

Anna.

Well Anna ... It was so simple, I piddled in my pot, put the test tube in the pothole whereupon it filled up all on its own as if by magic, I then put the test tube in my car and went swimming. After swimming I went shopping and then went home, then I suddenly remember my piddling test tube was still in my piddling car. So I trundled off to the doctors and just made it through the door only to be told - I was too piddling late! I should have handed it in this morning as it has to be sent off the same day as it's piddled. :crazy:

So they're going to send it off tomorrow and see what they say, I might have to piddle in another pot! :oops:

And I'm laughing now because 3 months ago there was no way I could have done all that I've done today and still had energy left over. My son phoned me today and was gobsmacked by how different I sounded. He was asking my how I am and I enthused so much down the phone that he was gobsmacked and said he could tell by my voice that I was getting a lot better. He said that before, my voice sounded very old and tired and now I sound very strong and like I'm 'back to who I was before'. He even commented on the fact that I was talking in joined up sentences and not stopping to ask him what I was talking about. He said I sounded so much clearer and energised. So, I'm sooooooooooo happy that the difference is not just apparent to me, it's apparent to others. Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!! I'm alive again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Gracek.

What wonderful ,positive and inspirational news to hear ...
Am smiling as I am typing this :D
You are spreading your :D and laughter :lol: around as its reached me !
You're alive and living with new energy and zest and spirit gracek

Thanks for the update on your piddling!
Hope the next pot is delivered on time if need to do another one...

Send me some of your smiley sunshine when I am at the dentists later.
Had toothache the last 2 days ...

Anna.